4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents...
An inspirational work that will encourage you to live out your faith as though you mean it!

Published on March 15 2011 by Adam

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not read this book
I was given this book to read because I was told it was an excellent book. The more I read the more upset I became and could barely complete the book. In closer examination I realized I was feeling bullied. Bullied by a man who said he was about grace yet used language that was not seasoned with grace.

What I found confusing was that I could not quite figure...
Published on Sept. 20 2012 by John Labots

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., March 15 2011
Adam (Saskatoon, SK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Crazy Love (Paperback)

Chan does a great job in this book. He describes how great God is and then he describes how great His love is for us. And then he envisions ideals of what following God looks like. Chan's book is interactive, as he often recommends stopping to regard either some scripture, nature, or even a video or two of his sermons/teachings on the internet.

The absolute greatness of God needs to inspire us to be a people of action. Those of us who claim to be Christian are called out and asked to prove it. While some may see this as leading to a works based salvation, I disagree. It seems like Chan wants us to examine ourselves because what we do matters more than we think. What we do won't earn us salvation, but the fruits of our labors identify us for who and what we are: on fire for God or not.

People who try to tear this book apart will do so claiming that Chan is misinterpreting scripture... which is more a misunderstanding of Chan's intention than Chan misinterpreting scripture. This is not a theological commentary on scripture. It is a book written for average Christians who need inspiration to go beyond a regular routine.

If you need a book that will rekindle the fire that causes us to be the Light of the World, this might just be the book for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not read this book, Sept. 20 2012
This review is from: Crazy Love (Paperback)

What I found confusing was that I could not quite figure out who his audience was. Was it for the lukewarm unbeliever, the lukewarm believer, or the believer with lukewarm components to his life. He states that lukewarm people who called themselves Christians were not really Christians, but the he talks about believers who are Christians but who are lukewarm. Then he uses the word "we" throughout the book, thereby I presume he is also calling himself a lukewarm Christian.

After stating that lukewarm Christians were not to be found in heaven, he quotes Rev 3:16-18 as a basis for his statements on lukewarmness, but fails to quote verse 19: As many as I love, I rebuke and achasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. A clear statement that the lukewarm church he was addressing was loved and therefore He was rebuking them and would chasten them if needed. There is no indication that the church was about to be kicked out of their eternal position in Christ. The entire premise of this dominant point in the book falls apart.

This book is not about the gospel of grace. The book uses fear. And fear does not change people. It can be used in attempts of behaviour modification, but fear does not change the heart. God's kindness leads to repentance (Romans 2:4). Having lived in performance based Christian bondage for years, it was God's kindness that eventually broke through. Certainly, God is holy, but that is why we need Jesus. God is perfect, that's why we need Jesus. God is patient with us because of the work of the cross. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. (John 3:17). Chan speaks of grace, but it sparsely populates the book, and the overall domination of law through word usage and tone drowns out what little grace there is.

Francis Chan provides a long list of features of the lukewarm. He then goes about creating a long list of what an obsessed Christian looks like. It's as if Chan has created a new set of Commandments on proper Christian behaviour that must be followed otherwise we are lukewarm and "we" are no longer saved. The law states that if you miss even the smallest law you are condemned. My question is: What if I display only one or 2 of the lukewarm characteristics and not all of the obsessed characteristics. Do I fail the test? Is there a tipping point? What if I am not obsessed at all, but quietly trying to live out my life before God? What if there areas in my life that God has not brought maturity and awareness to, am I good enough?

Doesn't this sound like the Old Testament? Isn't this the Old Covenant that God abandoned and replaced with the New Covenant? Throughout the NT epistles, Paul challenges and rebukes (almost angrily in some cases) the return to the law and making up of rules. People who use this book as a mirror will likely end up living by a set of rules and be under condemnation for not meeting the standard (the law).

Chan overtly implies that if you do not do these obsessed things you are lukewarm and therefore condemned. I have lived under performance oriented Christianity for most of my life, I am not about to start doing it again. Perhaps this is what has made me more sensitive to what this book says. I will mirror my heart against Jesus and be led by His Spirit into what I am to do and be. Certainly I will examine my heart, but I am not about to let Francis Chan dictate to me that I need to be obsessed and follow a new set of rules.

As to the tone of the book, I finally had to ask myself this question: Is this how Jesus talks to me? Is this how He develops His character in me, through harsh words and threats of judgment and condemnation? NO! I know his voice. When He speaks, my heart gets changed, I am lifted up, I am encouraged even when I am rebuked by Him. My Shepherd doesn't talk to me in the same way that Chan talks to his readers.

Because of the error in Chan's approach I do not even recommend this book for its few good elements. There are many other better books that talk about God's incredible love for us. Read: He Loves Me, Learning to live in the Father's Affection. The Naked Gospel is also another book that gives an excellent representation of the gospel of grace and the living for the Lord in that Spirit of grace. Jesus yoke is easy. His burden is light. Francis Chan's Crazy Love is more of a millstone and just plain crazy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got inspired and encouraged by Francis Chan, May 14 2013
This review is from: Crazy Love (Paperback)
I wouldn't say Francis Chan is an excellent writer, but he definitely agrees with this book -- he is deeply and crazily in love with Jesus, God's grace. He is biblical and radical, but he loves Jesus, and he is so generous sharing his love, his feelings, his words, and his earthly enormous passion with us in this book. I got encouraged by his calling out, and moved by his outspoken heart. Please read this book to get more ideas about God's mercy and what we should do in it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book challenged me, May 7 2011
Doug (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
I really didn't know what this book was about, other than hearing about from someone. It was extremely engaging. Being an audio book, I was able to listen to it while driving to work, and I could barely turn it off each day. Intriguing perspectives, fresh approaches, paradigm shifts, challenges to traditional boring predictable Christianity. The Christian life should be anything but boring, if we're really living like Jesus wants us to. Francis Chan has a way of bringing to light things that we have all become too accustomed to, things that we have accepted too readily...like that fact that we are comfortable, wealthy people storing up resources, while much of the world lives in absolute poverty...and yet we're okay with that! Something's wrong with that! Francis' book is challenging my own approach to resources, time, worship.
I highly recommend this book for everyone. It is Biblical, contemporary, honest, applicable, challenging, realistic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Love, April 6 2014
O. Stephen Peart (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crazy Love (Paperback)
Love is a under used word at the same time it is so over used. Francis breaks the word down and gives the truth about love. It is crazy? Why? Simply, love is not about the lovely, lovable, for loving sake but it is the opposite. Read the book, you will get what love really is.

5.0 out of 5 stars learned a lot, June 15 2014
I really enjoyed this book. This book is easy to understand and teaches practical ways to deepen your relationship with God. This is definitely a book worth read many,many times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Recommend, Feb. 14 2012
This review is from: Crazy Love (Paperback)
Francis Chan accurately paints the picture of the Christian attitude and life that God wants for each person, which is a dynamic love relationship with Him. This book teaches that the problem is an apathetic heart, and the solution is basking in God's love. This book has helped revive my heart to loving Him.

The downside of this book is that it's too short! :( I wanted to keep reading...

I highly recommend this and will be reading this book over again to let the information soak in.

Thanks, Francis!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, Dynamic Experience of Jesus' Love, Feb. 2 2010
This review is from: Crazy Love (Paperback)
An astonishing and groundbreaking book on the highly preached topic of "Love."
What Francis Chan does so powerfully is share the love of Christ through new lens. Francis shares an infectious love for Jesus Christ that will compel us to love others.

In response to user "B. Bauer": Francis asserts in his book that he is not preaching a "works-based salvation." Rather, Francis states that a love for Christ will compel us to take action and truly love others! Too many churches these days sit back and just preach rather than take action. It is also a tendency to give our "leftovers" to people in need. Francis urges us to give our best to God and to the needy, rather than satisfying our own desires and then donating the leftover money. It is a subject-shifting idea that urges us to focus on God's kingdom and God's people rather than on ourselves.

This is the central idea of 1 John 4: "Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God...God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him...We love because he first loved us"

I heard Francis speak at Breakforth Canada 2010 and I could see Jesus through him. He is not a radical "works-based" Christian but rather knows that our LOVE of God will make us ACT upon that love and care for others. James also says that "faith without works is dead." This is the point Francis elaborates! This is what it means to be a follower of Christ.

This book will change your life and perspective on love.
Please read it!!! = )

God bless!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, March 21 2013
This review is from: Crazy Love (Paperback)
This book will make you "uncomfortable" about where you are at in your Christian walk, for most of us anyway; and will inspire you to want to change - want to become more like HIM. This book was a wonderful kick in the butt for alot of people in our church.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great devotional!, Oct. 17 2011
This review is from: Crazy Love (Paperback)
This book is amazing for leading small group discussions. I own 5 copies myself and have read it through a couple times. I find Frances Chan a very straight forward and real writer and pastor. His book is relevant to all ages.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Crazy Love
Crazy Love by Mark Beuving (Paperback - May 2008)
Used & New from: CDN$ 1.97