5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the buy, Oct. 8 2011
This review is from: Beginning C++ Through Game Programming (Paperback)
Although I do have mixed feelings about the book so far, (as I haven't finished it yet) overall it is a unique way to teach you c++.

The fact that there is a final project in each chapter means that half of the information of this book just doesn't slip through the cracks , it actually forces you to apply what you just read.

Although i do feel that some things could be explained with better depth, I also think that dding ore may have ruined the nice casual , fun and exciting vibe this book gives you.

Although all of the games do not require any graphics , there is some rather advanced programs broken down for the begginer to understand.

This book has reconnected me with my love for programming and I suggest buying it for anyone who is interested in simple game development.

Book Layout/Design - 4.8/5
Content Amount - 4/5
Content Quality - 4.9/5
Overall - 4.6/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a great first book., April 17 2011
This review is from: Beginning C++ Through Game Programming (Paperback)
I've begun on my journey on self teaching myself C++ programming with books and projects and this was the first book I dove into. Up to date and a fantastic starter book.

One thing I've experienced in MANY books and online tutorials is that the author assumes you know certain basic things about a language or art and thus, never explain WHY it is that way. This book does not suffer from that problem. He thoroughly explains the reasoning behind things and gives examples and situations in which you'd use the bit of code.

The end chapter programs are all easy to understand and have fun results. Often times as extra excersizes he gets you to add things to the game or previous games. I added a score tracker to a word jumble but then I was also able to add in a multiplyer and a goal score that would end the game and tell you how many guesses it took you to get there. I am very happy that I was able to learn how to add and expand to these games as often times books have such elaborate end chapter programs that if you try anything with them you end up breaking them.

The last few chapters get a little difficult to grasp by ones self but still give plenty of reason and explanation for the methods and use. They are definitely things you would go back to once you've gotten more experience to review and make sense of. They could very well help you past hurdles in intermediate books by applying his hints and advice to difficulties you may have.

Ultimately this is definitely a good first step book for anyone looking to learn how to program in C++.
A must buy.

On a side note, if you are truely a beginner, DO NOT BUY the amazon recommended Beginning Game Programming book. It is MUCH more advanced and will probably leave you completely stumped if you go from this book to that. I ordered it along with this and was completely unable to grasp it. Try getting another book or even two to bridge the gap. You can also check out my review of it on its page.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, Nov. 29 2013
This review is from: Beginning C++ Through Game Programming (Paperback)
Good introduction to c++, Don't expect to start making pretty games though.
Arrived quickly and in one piece.
All in all a good purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better books, June 23 2013
Thess - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Beginning C++ Through Game Programming (Paperback)
This is one of the better books, and 4 stars is only because the title is a tad misleading - ill get to that in a minute.

firstly, if you have experience in C++ with basic stuff and the like, and can get and send input to a console, and do basic stuff - half this book is already below you.
secondly the title suggests you be doing your learning THROUGH game programming, which is false; youll be learning the same old way with concepts given with examples related to games

for example, rather then Hello World!
youll write it as "Game Over!"

data structures usually taught by a small employee list; rather he teaches you with a small player list.
theres no real data here on gaming till near the end when TIC TAC TOE comes in, but by that time anyone
following any decent book could do for themself anyway.

having said that though, this book DOES teach better then most, regardless of the "this, rather then that" attitude - and i suggest any "purely new" beginner to grab it.
there are better books for those who are a beginer, but not new.

Got my "third" edition off ebay.
i dont know what the other two editions are like, so keep my review for the third only, thanks!

would buy it again, even though it was just a tad under me; i feel it got me to that early stage two level <-- see what i did there lol.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good starting point, March 4 2011
This review is from: Beginning C++ Through Game Programming (Paperback)
This book is exactly what it says it is, a book to learn about the programming language C++, and using game programming as its basis. However, it does not claim to teach DirectX or OpenGL, or to teach how to program an MMO. This will teach you the basics of C++, which most other beginner books teach, as well as online tutorials. The difference is that it shows how the language can be used, and therefore used in your own applications. It isn't the end of learning C++ though. It is the beginning.

Unfortunately, the download list they give for each and every piece of coding does not work. The site has been changed and no longer allows general access. I did like this book until I needed help looking at the coding, not sure what I missed in copying from the book. It was a simple fix and oversight on my part, however, I learned of the website change, and this has effected my feelings about the book.

ARRAY(0xb8c53bdc)

Beginning C++ Through Game Programming
Beginning C++ Through Game Programming by Michael Dawson (Paperback - Oct. 18 2010)
CDN$ 37.99 CDN$ 23.82