Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

Flash and Bones
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$29.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
"She opens her mouth with wisdom,
And on her tongue is the law of kindness." -- Proverbs 31:26 (NKJV)

Flash and Bones is an unusually good title for this book, but if you are like me you'll just think it's a pun about "flesh and bones" until near the end when Dr. Reichs reveals more about that aspect of the story.

For those who would like to see the romance with Ryan develop, this book will be a disappointment. Those who enjoy "Skinny" Slidell, however, will have plenty to amuse themselves as Tempe and he team up to find out what happened to several missing persons. Much additional humor comes from Tempe being asked to consult with her "ex" husband's small-brained fiancee, Summer, about the details of their wedding.

Dr. Reichs fits as much NASCAR into the story as she can without turning Tempe into a race driver, and those who love NASCAR will mostly appreciate the tribute . . . even if the track area becomes involved in crimes you won't see at any NASCAR race.

For those who like puzzles, this one starts out with some pretty unusual remains and spreads out to include some exotic poisons.

The story's main weaknesses come in two areas, the right person just naturally turning up at the right time and in the right place to push the story along . . . and a motive for murder that I didn't find all that convincing.

The story moves swiftly along and provides the kind of good relaxing entertainment that makes late summer murder mystery reading so much fun.

I'm sure, however, that Flash and Bones will be far from your favorite book in the series. Do read it. There are hints here of character developments to come that will undoubtedly make a lot more sense if you've read Flash and Bones.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Reason for Reading: I read all the author's books. I've got myself slightly behind but will get caught up shortly.

First I'll start by saying I enjoyed the book very much. It was actually quite refreshing. Reichs seems to have removed herself from the cookie cutter mold she had let herself slip into lately, not that I don't always enjoy her books to a 3 or more but they do follow a pattern. Here we have Tempe entering a new world, one she isn't familiar with, that of Nascar Racing and she has to deal with some bones found in fairly obscure condition. As often happens a past and present corpse bring ideas of a relationship to their deaths and the investigation gets underway both into the current deaths and into the John Doe case. I kind of kicked myself when the perpetrator was found as it should have been easy to solve but it didn't come to me this time. I enjoyed Reichs usual details and it ended up being a surprising and sad case.

On the other side, Tempe's continual personal life is always an ongoing theme of this series and I was pleased with its direction. It was not what I had expected as Andrew Ryan does not appear in the book at all. We do hear of him, through email letters and Tempe does still care about him, Charlie Hunt(?) her other suitor has been busy on an all important case and may perhaps be finding interest somewhere else. Meanwhile Tempe meets an ex-cop whom she works with on this case who makes her heart go pitter-patter in a completely different, new and exciting way. On top of that her ex and his fiance, 24 -year-old Summer, are driving her insane.

A good all around mystery with a new fascinating setting, but for some reason I felt this a very slow read. It was not hard to put down and it would take time for me to pick up again. Personally I think this was me,not the book's fault. It was just a slow reading week for me.
on March 7, 2012
I have read all of Kathy Reichs books and love her writing. There is not much that I would have wanted to know before I purchased the product because I am a follower of hers.

Because Kathy's books are between North Carolina and Montreal I find it fascinating. I love Montreal and some of the places that she writes about bring back good memories.
on November 4, 2014