5.0 out of 5 stars Life imitating art...in my own life
Published on Jan. 19 2009 by Mary G. Longorio

2.0 out of 5 stars Stretched the imagination a bit
Dealing with someone who indeed suffers from Alzheimers I found parts of this book resonated with me ... the inability to find words ... the lost look on the face ... the inability to complete sentences. The book depicted all these things remarkably well. However, the downfall I found was that towards the end of the book when one would believe the symptoms and ravages...
Published on July 8 2009 by the constant reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Life imitating art...in my own life, Jan. 19 2009
Mary G. Longorio "Texasbookgirl" (Eagle Mountain, UT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Still Alice (Paperback)
Alice Howland taught cognitive psychology courses at Harvard for over twenty-five years. Alice and her husband, John authored Molecules to Mind, she published papers, and lectured around the world. Her three children were grown and on their own paths (not that she was very happy about Lydia's choice of acting, but she hadn't given up trying to influence her to go back to real school). Her son Tom was doing well in school, daughter Annie and her husband, Charlie are attorneys trying to conceive a first grandchild.

Facing a busy schedule and travel and everyday stress, Alice isn't concerned when she begins to forget little things, where the keys are, names of acquaintances or a momentary sense of disorientation. After all she is fifty and that is part of menopause. .

A trip to her family doctor to get some suggestions for cognitive memory reinforcement and to see if medication is available does not help. Alice is stunned to learn that she has Early Onset Alzheimer's and that there is not very much available for treatment. Telling her husband and children is even harder to face. Eventually she has to face the loss of her teaching and life's work.

"Still Alice" is Alice's voice as she struggles with the advancement of Alzheimer's. As the disease advances, she is living more in the now, and often hurt by her interpretations of family member's words and actions. She reacts with anger and confusion as her world shifts and becomes more unfamiliar and frightening. Her family also has to deal with their emotions. The realization that their funny, loving accomplished mother and wife is slowly disappearing before their eyes are devastating, and they each react differently. Alice tries to stay aware of what is happening, but has the disease advances her voice becomes quieter and briefer. Lisa Genova has a Ph.D in Neuroscience from Harvard University and works with several Alzheimer's organizations as well as serving as the online columnist for the national Alzheimer's Association. Although "Still Alice" is a work of fiction, it is apparent there is much drawn from real life experiences and observations. Genova has given a voice to a population not usually listened to. The characters are facing uncertainty and struggling with Alice's decent into unknowing. There are moments of hilarity as well as heartbreak. This book will touch anyone who works with dementia patients, or who has a friend or loved one with Alzheimer's. (early 2008)

1/19/2009

Less than a year later finds me, the reviewer, caring for my own father in my home as he succumbs more and more to his organic dementia. We have had to uproot him from his home in Texas to move into our home in Utah where either my husband or I can be with him around the clock. We moved into a house and I have drastically cut back on my work load. I keep looking back to the pages where Alice tries to describe her confusion and tries to frame what she wants from those around her so I can somehow meet those same needs in my Father. I fear I am falling short.....there is so much anger directed at me and my husband for moving him away. We couldn't transfer out jobs down to Texas and survive. Being over fifty we couldn't walk away from careers with tenure and pensions. Between my 7 other siblings there were too many teenagers (too much stress) too many young children (ditto) and a widowed sister looking for a possible husband. Oh, and the inevitable family conflicts. No matter how hard I have tried I feel I am falling short. "It's nothing personal, Mary....I like your brothers more than you" Dad hates it here, it isn't working. "One night I am going to walk right out of here and won't that be a surprise in the morning?' Dad often says the blessing at dinner and is sure to add "Please bless this food especially since Mary has cooked tonight" that is if he can manage to say all that before we all get the giggles and just say "amen". I work with this type patient everyday at my job and I still cannot make it work in my homecare for my own Father. I reread Still Alice as a roadmap. it is my best guide.....though the road is unknown and I feel completely unprepared to travel it. I have no choice I must keep moving on....

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye opener, Sept. 16 2013
This review is from: Still Alice (Paperback)
This book should be manditory reading for anyone who has a senior family member who has, or is developing Alzheimer's disease. It is a strong, powerful book that shows the pure hell that people with this horrible disease are going through. I read the whole book in a day...Just could not put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great work!, Sept. 7 2013
This review is from: Still Alice (Paperback)
This novel is so good. It would be great for bookclubs! It's fascinating and it all feels very real, the characters are well developed.
I'll be buying it as a gift for others!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Alice by Lisa Genova, Aug. 31 2013
This review is from: Still Alice (Paperback)
An uplifting book about Alzheimer's disease. A recommended read for everyone. It's fiction but well researched and well written. Once I started to read it, I couldn't put it down. Plan to read more books by this same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye opener!, Aug. 9 2013
This review is from: Still Alice (Paperback)
I read this book while my mom was in her last stages of Alzheimers/dementia. It was a real eye opener for me to think about the fear that she must have felt feeling things slip away from her and out of her control. Everyone should read this book at one point or another...

4.0 out of 5 stars STILL ALICE, July 10 2013
This review is from: Still Alice (Kindle Edition)
LOVE THIS BOOK . I COULD REALATE TO SOME OF THE THINGS ALICE WAS GOING THROUGH. I AM A SENIOR,AND THINK WOMEN MIGHT LIKE TO READ IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, May 21 2013
This review is from: Still Alice (Paperback)
Depressing but amazing. Great story about a Harvard Prof with immense professional success who wakes up one day and notices her memory is escaping her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Alice, May 20 2013
This review is from: Still Alice (Paperback)
I could not put this book down - it was inspirational as well as informative on the devastating effects of Alzeimer's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving novel, May 5 2013
This review is from: Still Alice (Paperback)
This novel was recommended by instructors in a dementia care course. This is going to be a must-read for the sandwich generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic Read, Dec 26 2012
This review is from: Still Alice (Paperback)
A gripping tale about early onset alzheimers. Didn't want to put this book down, and had a lot of empathy for the victims and caregivers of alzheimers.

ARRAY(0xc4f252ac)

Still Alice
Still Alice by Lisa Genova (Paperback - Jan. 6 2009)
CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 9.49