5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and Gripping, May 10 2011
This review is from: The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer (Hardcover)
I came to this book expecting to learn something about a disease that has struck my family and affected my life. It revolutionised my understanding of the disease and brought to life the medical saga that has become a modern marvel. The author writes with style and grace. It is a humane book about real human beings who struggle with a wiley, difficult and vicious foe. It artfully illustrates the tragedy, pathos, ruthlessnes, humanity and realism of those who battle with cancer. Ultimately, we are permitted to glimpse the deep mystery and majesty of the disease and our own complex biological form. Fantastic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fulfils its mandate completely, June 27 2011
Rodge (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This book is gripping, informative, compassionate and comprehensive. But its not out of reach for lay readers. We see the evolution of our understanding of cancer and how modern science and medicine have allowed us to more fully understand this monster, provide some additional cures and help us to realize just how difficult the road to further cures will be. Cancer touches us all in some way or another, so I would recommend this book to pretty much anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Emperor of all Maladies, April 18 2011
'The Emperor of all Maladies a Biography of Cancer' by Siddhartha Mukherjee is a well put together book. It is organized and well thought out. It starts at the beginning of recorded history of cancer and ends with our present day knowledge of cancer. The book covers how humans have treated cancer from the beginning to the present.

The book terrified me in some parts; reading how they treated breast cancer, performing mastectomies without anesthetic and how crippled the women would be after the procedure if they survived.

'The Emperor of all Maladies' is a frightening reminder of how little we do know about cancer. One thing I have learned over the years is that knowledge and how we apply our knowledge is always changing. What we believe is true today will most likely be false tomorrow and this applies to the medical field and from reading this book you will see how it applies to cancer.

Cancer is part of our society and as our population ages it well become an even greater part of who we are...with the majority of us living a long life...the majority of us well encounter some form of cancer. What is the best way to beat cancer? More money, it really is that simple...with the money available to the many intelligent individuals out there willing to do research, I truly believe we could have better survival rates and less toxic, less side effect ridden medications. Will we ever beat cancer? I doubt it, but we sure could treat it in a more patient friendly way.

I have always had a love for the field of genetics and this book feeds that passion. The book is informative and interesting and involving...it contains enough science to teach the reader about what is the cause of cancer and how can we treat it. I always love a book that teaches me new things and this one succeeds on many levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Treatment, Nov. 17 2011
Peter Tiley (Hamilton, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is a superbly crafted history of cancer. It takes us from its earliest discovery and classification up to the present methods of treating it. The author has first hand knowledge of his topic and provides us with a bedside view of his and other patients. A very empathetic view of the suffering people endure as part of a successful or otherwise recovery and a detailed critique of how this disease has been as is being attacked.

5.0 out of 5 stars A history of cancer and its treatments., Jan. 18 2014
How each generation of doctors refuses to give up old techniques in the treatment of cancer. A very interesting book.

4.0 out of 5 stars For a Better Historical Understanding of Cancer and its Evolving Treatment, Dec 13 2013
Very good overview and history of the presence and treatment of this horrible disease. This book is well researched,informative and highly accessible to all readers with an interest in the subject matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cancer as a character, humanity of cancer researchers, Dec 6 2013
I have written 75 poems to work through my husband's final journey with cancer and considered cancer a character, as Siddhartha Mukherjee does in his heart-wrenching/heartwarming biography of cancer. He fleshes out all the heroic men and women who went against the grain to consider cancer in new and fruitful ways. The book is beautifully written with courage and compassion and very apt metaphors to bring home the struggles, triumphs and tribulations of working in the cancer field.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, Dec 5 2013
Absolutely impressive in its depth and humanity. A must read for anyone who has been touched, either personally or with loved ones by this affliction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Very Readable. Bought as gifts for my oncologist, family doc and radiation therapist, Aug. 7 2013
Excellent read. Fascinating history of our struggle with cancer. Lots of info and human drama. Author has info well researched.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, easy read for a complicated topic, July 23 2013
Very well presented. I had difficulty putting the book down. It provides a history of the bumblings of early thought and great advances made in this fight for life.

ARRAY(0xa9732b84)

The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer
The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee (Hardcover - Nov. 16 2010)
CDN$ 34.99 CDN$ 21.94