‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and Gripping, May 10 2011
This review is from: The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer (Hardcover)
I came to this book expecting to learn something about a disease that has struck my family and affected my life. It revolutionised my understanding of the disease and brought to life the medical saga that has become a modern marvel. The author writes with style and grace. It is a humane book about real human beings who struggle with a wiley, difficult and vicious foe. It artfully illustrates the tragedy, pathos, ruthlessnes, humanity and realism of those who battle with cancer. Ultimately, we are permitted to glimpse the deep mystery and majesty of the disease and our own complex biological form. Fantastic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fulfils its mandate completely, June 27 2011
Rodge (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This book is gripping, informative, compassionate and comprehensive. But its not out of reach for lay readers. We see the evolution of our understanding of cancer and how modern science and medicine have allowed us to more fully understand this monster, provide some additional cures and help us to realize just how difficult the road to further cures will be. Cancer touches us all in some way or another, so I would recommend this book to pretty much anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars ‘This book is a history of cancer.’, Sept. 3 2014
People in the past tended to die of other diseases (and in poorer countries, still do), but as our longevity increases so does the incidence of cancer. As we extend our lives, Mukherjee writes, ‘we inevitably unleash malignant growth’. But what is cancer, how can we understand and treat it?

In this book, which I first read a couple of years ago, Siddhartha Mukherjee writes of the first documented appearances of cancer thousands of years ago, of the Persian Queen Atossa (550-475 BCE) who has surgery for a bleeding lump in her breast (as recorded by Herodotus in ‘The Histories’), of primitive radiation and chemotherapy treatments in the nineteenth century, of the new treatments available to patients now.

In addition to discussing treatments (and some of us will remember those who had endured the Halsted radical mastectomy for breast cancer) Dr Mukherjee examines the aetiology and pathology of cancer, and some of those who’ve been involved in the quest for understanding and answers. Our co-existence with cancer over the past five thousand years or so has not been passive: physicians, surgeons and scientists have all sought to understand and hoped to conquer the disease. Dr Mukherjee recounts discoveries and setbacks, deaths and victories. Understanding the journey brings the reader in contact with both the best and worst of humanity: dedicated and obsessive; ingenious and resilient; hubristic and inflexible; arrogant and detached.

‘Cancer, we have discovered, is stitched into our genome.’

Although the topic of cancer is uncomfortable and difficult, Dr Mukherjee has presented a very readable history of the disease and of progress in combatting it. Some of this progress is too late for family and friends who’ve already succumbed to death as a consequence of cancer, but is helping many people now and will (presumably) help more in the future. There’s hope in this book: that a better understanding of disease processes will lead to better health outcomes.

If there is a war against cancer, what will be our measure of victory? What constitutes a cure?

‘This war on cancer may best be ‘won’ by redefining victory.’

Both my parents and a number of friends have died of cancer in the past four years, and other friends are fighting their own battles. I’ve revisited this book recently, to remind myself that there has been great progress, and there is hope.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Treatment, Nov. 17 2011
Peter Tiley (Hamilton, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is a superbly crafted history of cancer. It takes us from its earliest discovery and classification up to the present methods of treating it. The author has first hand knowledge of his topic and provides us with a bedside view of his and other patients. A very empathetic view of the suffering people endure as part of a successful or otherwise recovery and a detailed critique of how this disease has been as is being attacked.

5.0 out of 5 stars A history of cancer and its treatments., Jan. 18 2014
How each generation of doctors refuses to give up old techniques in the treatment of cancer. A very interesting book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Emperor of all Maladies, April 18 2011
'The Emperor of all Maladies a Biography of Cancer' by Siddhartha Mukherjee is a well put together book. It is organized and well thought out. It starts at the beginning of recorded history of cancer and ends with our present day knowledge of cancer. The book covers how humans have treated cancer from the beginning to the present.

The book terrified me in some parts; reading how they treated breast cancer, performing mastectomies without anesthetic and how crippled the women would be after the procedure if they survived.

'The Emperor of all Maladies' is a frightening reminder of how little we do know about cancer. One thing I have learned over the years is that knowledge and how we apply our knowledge is always changing. What we believe is true today will most likely be false tomorrow and this applies to the medical field and from reading this book you will see how it applies to cancer.

Cancer is part of our society and as our population ages it well become an even greater part of who we are...with the majority of us living a long life...the majority of us well encounter some form of cancer. What is the best way to beat cancer? More money, it really is that simple...with the money available to the many intelligent individuals out there willing to do research, I truly believe we could have better survival rates and less toxic, less side effect ridden medications. Will we ever beat cancer? I doubt it, but we sure could treat it in a more patient friendly way.

I have always had a love for the field of genetics and this book feeds that passion. The book is informative and interesting and involving...it contains enough science to teach the reader about what is the cause of cancer and how can we treat it. I always love a book that teaches me new things and this one succeeds on many levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, Dec 8 2014
Anyone interested in the history of science/medicine/surgery/cancer would benefit from reading this book. Siddhartha makes the information accessible to the layperson, while delving into appropriate amounts of detail. Excellent book!!

4.0 out of 5 stars For a Better Historical Understanding of Cancer and its Evolving Treatment, Dec 13 2013
Very good overview and history of the presence and treatment of this horrible disease. This book is well researched,informative and highly accessible to all readers with an interest in the subject matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cancer as a character, humanity of cancer researchers, Dec 6 2013
I have written 75 poems to work through my husband's final journey with cancer and considered cancer a character, as Siddhartha Mukherjee does in his heart-wrenching/heartwarming biography of cancer. He fleshes out all the heroic men and women who went against the grain to consider cancer in new and fruitful ways. The book is beautifully written with courage and compassion and very apt metaphors to bring home the struggles, triumphs and tribulations of working in the cancer field.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, Dec 5 2013
Absolutely impressive in its depth and humanity. A must read for anyone who has been touched, either personally or with loved ones by this affliction.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer
The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee (Hardcover - Nov. 16 2010)
CDN$ 34.99