5.0 out of 5 stars All humane citizens of earth need to read this book, Nov. 20 2009
D. Crawford "book sponge" (Victoria, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
We don't always get the truth unless we are able to visit a country or area. On a recent trip to the middle east, I found the people warm, friendly and respectful; they have their fundamentalist fanatics as do we, but they aren't a bunch of angry extremists we have come to invision from constant media bombardment.

As Afghanistan is not a recommended travel destination, Joya's book will take you there safely, but prepare to feel sorrow and horror for our fellow human beings and for the disinformation campaign about the real reasons for our armed occupation. There is no joy in wealth acquired with the lives of others.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Accomplishment, Dec 13 2013
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Joya has summarized her life and presented it in a fashion which I found quite inspiring. This book is an explanation of courage manifest, something Joya has gained through an education and strong upbringing. I feel as if Joya is an archetype of those who have served to change the world, however limited in effect it may appear for now. I bought this book because I was reading Noam Chomsky's 'Hopes and Prospects'; in which he cites Joya a few times, and calls this book remarkable. I set out to buy 'A Woman Among Warlords', based entirely off Chomsky's glowing fondness of this woman and can now see justification for his conclusions.

So yes, this book is probably more than you'd expect at first glance. I cannot help but think that it describes a tragedy in regards to content. I stand in solidarity with the people of Afghanistan. I hope above all else that they may obtain amelioration, though it is unlikely, unless we insist on justice for all and seek to end xenophobia. Aside from the factual, contextual and practical modern relevance of these pages, I must note the quality in which this book is written, indeed quite high.

If you have come this far, I would advise you to obtain a copy for a read through.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bare Afghan truth, Nov. 3 2013
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: A Woman Among Warlords: The Extraordinary Story of an Afghan Who Dared to Raise Her Voice (Paperback)
This book is amazing. It is the story about ordinary Afghans' sorrowful lives told by an (used to be) ordinary Afghan woman who has lived through one. This book makes more appalling the fact that the US and the NATO nations are spending billions of tax payers' money to invade Afghanistan and drive the ordinary Afghani's lives into further destruction and despair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Account of a desperate situation, Feb. 15 2010
Malalai joya shares her hope with us. If she is still hopeful to be able to change the situation around, it is because the deep grassroot support she is getting, both inside Afghanistan and outside. However the situation within Afghanistan is indeed almost hopeless: an occupied country where the occupier is not really interested to hear what the people really want and need, and a corrupt government to the core. Past criminals, the warlords who killed, luted, and profited from the country being granted immunity, being granted full participation in the government as members of parliament. women security and women rights? Forget about them. Protection and schooling for children? Forget about that also. Even the orphanage that Malalai Joya funded and kept running for several years had to fold for lack of funds.
Malalai Joya begs us to really listen to the people, the ordinary people, the majority in Afghanistan. She tries as best as she can to give them a voice, to speak and write on their behalf.
Yes, we know very little of what is really happening in Afghanistant but Malalai Joya's account of the situation there is worth the reading. And then, we also will need to speak out...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, March 24 2011
Marie Gagnon (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
Finally a truly inside view of Afghanistan. At the risk of her own life, Malalai Joya has chosen to stand up against oppression and to work actively towards a better society. Speaking out her reality, her words thoroughly depict a sombre situation that is only getting worst as time goes on. Balancing between the personal and the political, her narrative makes for a powerful story supported by strong data and eye opening facts. At the very least, it is food for the thought; you may even end up reconsidering things you thought you knew.

Highly recommended, I hope many, many people will read this book. If you have even the slightest interest about the Afghanistan situation, I believe you will find it worth your while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, June 10 2011
H. Heighes (Canada) - See all my reviews
Best book I've read about Afghanistan and the war there. Very honest and straightforward. Helps the ordinary person to understand what is really going on.

ARRAY(0xb15108e8)