4.0 out of 5 stars Dream a Little Dream of Me, Dec 7 2012
Amazon Customer (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
The premise of this book intrigued me from the beginning. One kiss on the lips triggers the memories and one act of sex is akin to signing a death warrant. I couldn't wait to see how Cole would write the H/h out of the seemingly impossible corner she'd painted them in to.

1000 years of love and heartache is a long time for any couple to endure and yet Reginleit the Radiant and Aiden the Fierce have been loving and losing each other for that length of time. Whether he's a knight or a privateer or a Calvary officer in his past lives, one thing is for certain Regin and Aiden are soulmates destined to repeat their past sins and suffer the consequences. Maybe the 5th time's the charm? Only if Regin doesn't kill Declan Chase first herself. Let the games begin!

Cole makes it exceedingly hard to like the latest reincarnation of Aiden in the form Declan Chase. Dark and brooding, unfeeling except for his hatred of all things detrus he is the perfect candidate to oversee the secret installation housing all things immortal and Regin the Radient his own personal capture is the latest inmate to be a "guest" in the hellhole jail.

The first half of Dreams of a Dark Warrior was spent showing us how Declan became the man he is and his understandable hatred of all things immortal and he had every right to hate them with every fibre of his being. He suffered at the hands of the Neoptera, scarred and barely escaping sure death while he watched the vile creatures kill the members of his family. Declan was a mean, torturing S.O.B. and Regin and her friends and enemies alike were treated to several rounds of torture at his hands.

Once all hell broke loose on the island (literally the walls came on tumbling down), then the story really started to heat up.

I really like the band of weary brother's allegiance formed by Declan, Regin and a cast of great secondary characters including King Vamp Lothaire, Aiden's life long friend and fellow Berserker Brandr, the Fey Natalya and the young and innocent half-vamp Thad (surely Ms. Cole has his story in the works!) as they worked together to survive. Watching these characters form an uneasy alliance was funny, full of betrayal, promises made, deals struck and finally honor among immortals?

I just wanted to include a couple of funny memorable lines that had me LOL'ing:

Regin: "I like em young, dumb and hung".

Regin to Declan as she observes him stripping: "Thanks for the view of your junkyard."

And lastly just a little description to whet your appetite:

Rock-hard ridges descended to the low waist of his camo pants. Her gaze dipped to his flat navel, then to his goodie trail. And lower... She swallowed. He'd begun stiffening in those pants.
She yanked her gaze up determined to look at anything else. Around his neck he wore dog tags, and a big, butch military watch was strapped to one brawny forearm. With the combat boots, low-slung pants, and tacticool accessories, he looked good. Even scarred, he looked better than good.

The struggles were many but in the end you can't deny that a 1000 years is a long time to wait for a happily ever after!

Cole has certainly set up a world full of great characters whose stories are still be told. Whose story is next Lothaire? The Nucking Futs Nix? Thad? I for one can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars This story was worth the wait, Feb. 15 2011
This review is from: Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
I have to admit that after Demon from the Dark I wasn't sure how Cole was going to pull off Regin and Declan's story but she totally did. I really enjoyed this installment of IAD and couldn't stop reading. Declan's torment is so great that you can at least identify with his feelings if not all of his motives. His desire for Regin, a deathless one, is so confusing to him and Ms. Cole manages to conveys his inner turmoil believably. Regin is, as always, just Regin. However, with this story, we do get to see a little more depth of character and we get to see beyond the facade she wears.
There is some new information on Lothaire to add to the rumors, and a few new characters introduced on both sides.
This installment just makes me more anxious for the next. I guess I will just have to satisfy myself with rereading my other IAD favorites while I wait

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, July 30 2011
Anna (Atlantic Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
As in all of her novels, Cole manages to create a unique plot and a unique romance for every couple, although she could have easily just churned out copycat plots for every one of them and still pulled it off. I really enjoy the interrelated characters and how they appear as secondaries in the other's stories. It really cuts down on the mental effort of learning new people and backgrounds every time, and makes for a realistic "family" atmosphere that most series lack. And unlike another author I have reviewed (who should take notes), Cole has absolutely NAILED sharp, modern dialogue and humour. I laugh out loud with every book and look forward to reading the stories of the secondary characters. The shameless celebration of ying and yang is refreshing and the collective backstory is never dull. Another great round of entertainment, I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeeelightful!!!, March 14 2011
This review is from: Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
If Kresley reads this review, I would want her to know she brought magic to the pages in this book. Thank you Kresley, yet again you have rocked the IAD World. This book binds the past books and sets up the future plot lines with ease. By far my favorite IAD character was Cadeon... until Declan. Declan's character is intricate and woven to depict a man that we understand and oozes with sensuality. Regin was fabulous yet again. You can feel the tension between them and go through each twist and turn with them in their story. The book is a keeper and I will be rereading it because there was so much detail packed into each page. It made me gasp, it made me laugh, it made me yell... loved every bit of it. My girl Nix is her cray cray self and it was great to see into the way she wheeled this plot. If only I could spend a weekend in her mind and conjur up these wicked happeninings - it would ROCK.

Awesome, awesome, awesome... how is that for a review?!?! LOVE THE IAD SERIES TO THE MAX!!!!

Dreams of a Dark Warrior
Dreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley Cole (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 15 2011)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49