5.0 out of 5 stars Burning Soul by John Connolly
I have not read very many of John Connolly's books, but the ones I have read have held my interest from the beginning. This is a well written story and will be well received by Charlie Parker fans. I was thoroughly captured by the story and read every line on every page. I hope others will find the book as good as I did.
Published on Feb. 13 2012 by Linda J. Leclair

3.0 out of 5 stars Now Familiar Pattern
Published 18 months ago by Jeffrey Swystun

3.0 out of 5 stars Now Familiar Pattern, Sept. 26 2012
Jeffrey Swystun (Toronto & Mont Tremblant) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Connolly's Charlie Parker is but one compelling and dark character in this ongoing series. Perhaps the darkest is his imaginings of Maine and other parts of New England. He has created a shadow world that provides an amazing backdrop for the unfortunate events in which Parker perpetually finds himself. It is interesting that a former Irish journalist picked this particular part of the world and pulls it off like a local. I have read the whole series which has been strong throughout. The Burning Soul was the first I encountered that may signal tiredness and repetition. All elements are there but this one dragged and was predictable in resolution because Connolly has created a now familiar pattern. I will hang in there for the next as he is talented and should be able to rejuvenate. As a side note, I thought the State of Maine Tourism Department should set up Connolly and Stephen King themed tours...then I Googled that idea for fun and discovered there are private narrated tours of the Stephen King sites in and around the Bangor, Maine area!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Bad Crime Novel, July 27 2012
Robert P. Brown (Head of Jeddore, Nova Scotia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Burning Soul: A Charlie Parker Thriller (Mass Market Paperback)
When he's not bogged down in the supernatural, John Connolly can write a pretty good crime novel, although not quite in the same class as the four "C's", Connelly, Coben, Crais and Child.

In this one there is just a bit about TV's going on and off in the night and dead children writing on windows and knocking on doors; rather it is a fairly straightforward story, based in part on real life gangsters who once operated in the Boston area.

In order to make the novel more interesting, Google "Whitey Bulger" and read his biography on Wickopedia; this is the same guy upon whom the TV series "The Brotherhood" and the Scorsese movie "The Departed" was based.

Connolly mentions Bulger in the acknowledgements and hopefully will continue to stick to crime and leave the ghosts to someone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Burning Soul by John Connolly, Feb. 13 2012
Linda J. Leclair "Good Book Reader" (Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Town Blues, Jan. 21 2012
Ted Feit (Long Beach, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
John Connolly's Charlie Parker Thrillers usually combine an element of the supernatural with basic detective work. In this, the tenth in the series, the eerie aspects are slight, while the hard work of solving a case winds its way through the pages with realism and power. It is a twisted story that begins when an attorney asks Charlie to assist a client, and unfolds with a ferocity of dynamic proportions.

It appears that the client, Randall Haight, as a 14-year-old, and with a friend, murdered a young girl in an incident with sex-related overtones. Following long jail terms, both men were released with new identities to give them a chance at rehabilitation. Randall is now an accountant leading a quiet life in a small town on the Maine coast. And then a 14-year-old girl goes missing and Randall starts receiving reminders in the mail of his past transgression from someone who apparently has discovered his true identity. He asks the attorney and Charlie to protect his anonymity by finding the source. And this leads Charlie into a labyrinth of complications.

It is a gripping story, one in which the author throws red herrings into the reader's path before unveiling a completely unexpected conclusion. Tightly written and plotted, the novel is a most welcome addition to an outstanding series and is highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Burning Soul: A Charlie Parker Thiller, Oct. 16 2011
L. D. Godfrey - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I expected more from John Connolly's novel "The Burning Soul". I expected more of the supernatural and those things that go bump in the night and more of the creepy creatures that seem to follow the main character Charlie Parker. These are the things that I have come to expect from a Charlie Parker novel. I bought this book with these expectations but came away let down.

In "The Burning Soul" you have nothing more than vague reference to writing in the dust by unseen entities and super-sized ravens. Connolly gives the reader only a brief mention of Angel and Louis,faithful side kicks to Charlie, but that felt more like an afterthought than anything else. What the author has given us is a pretty straight forward novel about a slightly shady PI, his personal baggage and his even shadier friends. I thought the plot was thin and at times boring and certainly not as colorful as his other books like " The Black Angel".

I admit I had certain expectations going into this book which may have led to my disappointment but Connolly has a way with words so the novel wasn't a complete write off. If you are not familiar with Charlie P and company from Connolly's earlier works you will still enjoy this novel and I did after I got over my sulk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent price, Dec 14 2011
Paid 1/2 as much as I would have in stores and didn't have to drive to town and wait in line! Best way to shop!

ARRAY(0xb42b9f48)

The Burning Soul: A Charlie Parker Thriller
The Burning Soul: A Charlie Parker Thriller by John Connolly (Mass Market Paperback - June 26 2012)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49