Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Cook Personal Care All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 17, 2011
Hunter knew the world was all going to hell long before it even happened. When I was younger (rebellious grunge teen/early 90's) I never really understood his obsession with the death of the american/democratic dream. I never really got his scrutiny of politics and/or his unwavering quest to maintain personal liberties and constitutional rights that he felt were under constant attack of being violated or taken all together. I simply thought gonzo journalism was awesome and the whole concept of it was both entertaining and rebellious, it was kind of fascinating. Fast forward 20 years and I find these works still entertaining but hauntingly disturbing as well. Behind that typewriter was what most people considered a drug fueled maniac, but was he? Of course we all know Hunter did alot of drugs, but for myself, I can't simply dismiss all these ramblings as a drug induced haze. They were right, he was right, shockingly so right I wonder how he knew? Stripped civil liberties, 9/11 backlash, invasion of privacy, collapsing economies, the advent of the death of the american dream? I don't know.. Am I going too deep with this? Am I the only one who thinks these things? Was his health that bad or did he just decide a bullet in his head was the final answer? He said he would, and he sure followed through, just like everything else, full bore, top gear, right to the end. We don't really have anybody like a Hunter anymore, RIP. If he was still alive could he even handle what's going on these days? Some people might think these post death works are a cash grab, all I can say is keep them coming because they're not only entertaining to me, they're thought provoking as hell. I for one highly recommend his musings and this book, it's a lost art form that the world "needs" right now more than ever. I've come full circle with Hunter and I think his journalism was written off too easily because of the drugs. There's important work here, and I think you will feel the same.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on January 25, 2014
I love HST's writing, it's always hilarious and fun, but reading these made me realize that his level of thought, research and political sense is still underrated.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again