5.0 out of 5 stars Wit and Wisdom
In End Of Faith, Harris poked around in the box marked "Religion" and, with a brilliant wit and the clarity of a well-refined anger, showed much of its content to be rank and not worth keeping.
Published on Oct. 8 2010 by Gretta Vosper, "With or Wi...

2.0 out of 5 stars A fumbling, lackluster non-starter
In this book, Harris forwards the thesis that objective moral values can be determined by measuring the well-being of conscious creatures. Proof of this thesis, claims Harris, will shift ethics from the realm of philosophy to that of the natural sciences.

Published 15 days ago by David

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wit and Wisdom, Oct. 8 2010
In The Moral Landscape, he again notes the challenges religion presents, this time to the discussion of morals, but he also opens up the box marked "Science" and hauls out some of the stuff in it that threatens to taint the whole collection. By getting it out of the way, he clears for all of us a path by which we might achieve a civilization bounded by empathy and goodwill and in which the chasm that has existed between "facts and values - and therefore between science and morality" is bridged.
And again, Harris's particularly brilliant wit allows us to enjoy ourselves all the way to the refreshing clarity his wisdom offers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bold new take on universal morality, Oct. 6 2010
A. Volk (Canada) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Make no mistake about it, this book is an ambitious book. Harris challenges the long-held assertion that morals are for religion and culture, outside of the realm of science. In other words, science can reveal the way we behave, and why (in fact, evolutionary psychology and related disciplines are doing just that), but it can't tell us how we SHOULD behave. Harris claims that science can. That science should.

To paraphrase, Harris uses two logical statements to support this assertion:

1- Some states produce more well-being/happiness/goodness then others.
2- These states depend on physical events that are predictable.

This means science can tell us how to achieve (via morals) well-being. For example, allowing rape is not likely to increase well-being in general. The fact that well-being is hard to define, or potentially impossible, is not a deterrent. Science is not about absolutes. It's about probabilities, and improvement. What's healthier- to be a sprinter or a marathon runner? To be kinder to strangers or kinder to kin? George Burns may have smoked and lived to 90+, but is smoking healthy? Some people hit their spouses and enjoy it, but does spousal abuse promote well-being? Harris would answer "no" to those, and claim that science backs him up in both. Harris doesn't claim to have all the answers to many challenging ethical/moral questions, but argues that there are some answers that are objectively better than other answers. Some morals are objectively better at producing well-being than other morals, and science can help us determine what those are. Moral relativism is an excuse. Clearly, some things promote more harm than well-being, like severe child abuse. If we can agree that child abuse does harm well-being (and the new positive psychology, as well as traditional clinical psychology agree), then science can tell us that a moral against child abuse is more likely to be a good moral than a moral promoting child abuse. Just like health science can tell us that eating super-sized fast-food meals is less healthy than eating roasted vegetables. I should point out that I can't really do the book's 200-page argument justice within the confines of a review. It's a simple, but deep argument built on logical deductions and sprinkled with some inductive evidence from psychology/neuroscience. For me, Harris' main argument is pretty hard to escape.

There are some drawbacks to this book that made me consider giving it less than five stars. The biggest one for a lot of readers is probably that Harris is very anti-religion. I feel that Harris wastes a lot of time bashing religion and those who believe it in. He doesn't need to once he successfully argues that science can weigh in on morality. He argues that it's condescending to not tell religious people they're flat-out wrong, but I would argue that it's not effective to do so (and I bet it sure feels condescending to them). Early on, Harris does admit that his theory doesn't exclude the possibility of religious goals entering the well-being equation (e.g., the perceived need to save one's eternal soul would surely weigh in on the definition of well-being), but he dismisses those ideas vehemently in later chapters. The other major drawback is that this is largely an effort in argument and logic that is very scant on actual evidence and research on the topic. In his defense though, this book represents an attempt to start an entirely new branch of science, so the lack of evidence at this stage is excusable. Normally I'd knock off a star for that lack of evidence, but in this case, I find his argument so powerful and interesting that I kept all five stars.

So I know that some people aren't going to think this is a five-star book. I happen to think it is because I find his argument highly persuasive. But more than that, what Harris does is open up a very important topic to real debate- can science have anything meaningful to say about our well-being in the same way it does about our physical health? Whether or not you agree with Harris, I think it's hard to argue that this is not a question worth serious consideration. I also agree with Harris that we are a more moral society now than we were in the past. Objectively so. But I also agree with him that we need to keep considering and questioning our morals rather than sitting on our laurels, and his idea of using science to help us develop better morals is one well worth exploring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best approach I have heard of, May 11 2011
Bitfiddler (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
Lets get a few things out of the way.

If you actually understand what Mr Harris is saying (which many negative reviewers clearly did not) you should understand this:

1) He does not advocate moral relativism in the sense that 'anything goes'. He clearly outlines what he means by morals and then goes on to describe a framework for identifying those moral frameworks which work better than others. He does say that there may be multiple, and equally beneficial, systems for moral reasoning. That is far from saying 'anything goes' (i.e. rape, murder, etc...). This is perhaps the strongest aspect of his argument. He does not claim to know the answer. He does not claim that the answer is 100% knowable. He describes how we have been coming ever closer in some respects (and farther in others) to a moral system that allows more people to live fulfilling lives than could be imagined 200 years ago (and i'm not talking about advances in technology or medicine).

2) He clearly argues against moral absolutism. He convincingly explains why moral absolutism is dangerous and how, despite Religions attempts to claim an unchanging moral compass, the majority of so-called religious moderates are actually shifting their moral leanings/interpretations of their holy books in response to a changing Moral landscape. It is those that do not change their morals that we call 'fundamentalists'.

3) He is not trying to 'prove' anything. He has described a reasonable way in which science, logic, observation and discourse can lead to productive and conscious choices about morality. Over time it is reasonable to hope that we could weed out bad 'moral' prescriptions and modify/replace them with others to move in a direction of increased human flourishing.

If you are the type of person who, without your holy book you would rape, steal and murder, this book will not help you. Actually "God" will not help you either (you probably need counselling and a dose of some anti-psychotics), but that's a topic for another day. On the other hand, if you are the type of person who is uncomfortable with moral prescriptions based solely on ancient texts, this book is definitely a good read. You may not agree with every point, but the book is well written, orderly and thorough. At the end of the day I would much sooner adopt a reality-based moral system than one arbitrarily constructed by ancient mystics. At least if you make a mistake that increases suffering (in the world imagined by Sam Harris) you can identify the problem and correct it. Sacred texts on the other hand shackle you to whatever barbarism is contained therein, otherwise you 'protest' the interpretations of the text and move in arbitrary (without the guidance of evidence and reason) moral directions in the hope of finding something better (a kind of moral evolution you might say, with the unfortunate consequence of mountains of needless suffering).

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely better moral framework, Jan. 3 2011
Chad English (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book sets a very solid foundation for a science of morals. Sam Harris has a way to cut through the issues and extract the important details. I have always found discussion of morals missing a few key ingredients, but Harris addresses them all with clarity and humility. Don't get me wrong, he aims big -- very big, but he avoids grandiose claims.

The essence of the proposed moral framework is the definition of morality is that which improves human well-being. Indeed, this isn't everyone's definition, and Harris doesn't hide from that fact. But he discusses it in the context of which features of a definition of morality are defensible and which are not. From this definition, the rest of the book falls into place, and indeed both a science of morality and a moral absolutism can be derived from it. Harris does not claim that determining rules of morality by this method will be easy, far from it. But the difficulty, or impossibility, of measuring or predicting cause-effect outcomes on human well-being does not mean the principle itself is flawed. If we cannot determine an outcome for a particular scenario, and hence cannot determine a moral course of action, that does not mean that inserting answers by other methods (such as dogma) are better in any way. That sort of "morality of gaps" is very analogous to the "god of gaps" in scientific knowledge. Bad information is worse than no information, and admitting we don't know the answer to something is better than making one up, particularly when people make up different answers. Moreover, such ability to make determinations can change over time and contributing factors become clearer, as is the case in complex and chaotic systems. I can't determine what the weather will be in my city 1 year from today, but that doesn't mean making up an answer is helpful, and I can make a fairly accurate prediction if I wait until a few days beforehand to re-evaluate the conditions.

Harris attacks moral relativism and points out it is based on a fallacy of incredulity. Since people cannot, or could not, think of a fundamental basis for morality, that does not justify holding all cultural morality systems as equal. Likewise, the difficulty in defining "well-being" -- both individualistically and statistically -- does not negate the argument for its use as a moral foundation. Harris points out that the same problem exists in a variety of fields. The fact that we cannot all agree on a strictly bounded definition of health does not stop us from making absolute measurements and improvements of health, even if there are fuzzy boundaries where answers are less clear. Even the statistical problem is not a show-stopper. How does one measure "well-being"? If a course of action improves the "well-being" of 99% of people but makes 1% worse off, is that an improvement? This is a red herring though, as it is simply the age-old statistical problem of aggregate and distribution. The same problem is true of standard of living. An increase of total and average standard of living can occur by a few getting hyper-wealthy while the majority get worse off, or by everyone improving equally, and all sorts of distributions in between. But that doesn't stop us from improving our standard of living, or evaluating good and bad methods of doing so. Additionally, there may be multiple solutions of equal value. The existence of multiple peaks on the moral landscape in terms of behaviours, and peaks of the same height of well-being, means that there can be multiple answers. That doesn't negate the principle either. Going up one of the peaks is still an improvement in morality if we currently aren't on one.

Perhaps the most interesting contribution of the book, in my opinion, is addressing morality in science. In the past, many thinkers have suggested that science has no place in morality, most notably scientists such as Steven J. Gould. Many scientists still believe that nowadays, and certainly the moral relativity of social science is rife with it. I had thought this sort of thinking had been put to bed with evolutionary psychology. A large part of our moral behaviours and moral judgments are strategic solutions to social game theory problems. Although not the first, Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene discusses the evolution of behaviours and judgments we call "moral" in terms of the "tit-for-tat" optimization of the Iterated Prisoners Dilemma, a circumstance that models many social interactions. In fact, I had hoped Harris would spend more time on this topic, and particularly in addressing the differences between innate moral behaviours (e.g., altruism) and moral judgments of others. The fact we don't cut in line is interesting but understandable in a tit-for-tat sense. The fact we wish to punish people who cut in front of us is even more understandable in that it costs us directly. What is more interesting is that we innately wish to punish people that cut into somebody else's line, and that we wish to punish the people in that line who fail to punish the person who cut in. The most interesting is when we have those judgments of others but feel justified ourselves in cutting in line sometimes, especially if we won't get caught. Such hypocrisy does have some evolutionary explanation.

That isn't to say it is good, as "natural" does not necessarily mean "good". And this is how Harris sidesteps the whole evolutionary discussion above. He simply points out that "intuitive morality" via evolution is no more correct than "intuitive physics". Natural selection pressures might have lead us to some social rules of thumb that are good enough, and counter-balanced by others, but this doesn't mean they are the best answers for our own well-being. The same is true of intuitive physics, as it is often quite wrong but a good enough approximation for the sorts of activities that drove our evolution. (The same has been said for many "spiritual" intuitions, such as assuming a rustling in the leaves is the result of an intentional agent rather than the wind. A false positive is inherently safer than a false negative under such circumstances.)

This book has reset my basis for philosophical evaluation of morality. I had previously focused on the moral absolutism of game theory solutions, and indeed those outcomes do fit into Harris' well-being-based framework. But after reading this book I have moved back one step to a more basic and generalized definition. I concur with Harris' framework.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've ever read., Jan. 17 2012
This book is the most contemplative, thought provoking, and intellectually honest read I've ever had. Not only did it intrigue and delight me, it made me a better person. If you only ever read one book, make it this one, please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Successful elaboration of how science can guide morality., Oct. 8 2010
Daniel Lachance (Québec Canada) - See all my reviews
Good and evil guided by science: What a concept!
Sam Harris' arguments are clear and impressive.
I thoroughly enjoy his depth of intelligence and the style of his speech on the subject of what is right and wrong.

Great author, great speaker.
I learned something important, good and helpful reading this book.
5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provocation at it's best., Jan. 4 2011
Right from the intro, Sam's provocative discussion grabs and challenges. Sure to be a conversation starter, or stopper depending on the crowd.

2.0 out of 5 stars A fumbling, lackluster non-starter, May 7 2015
This review is from: The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values (Paperback)

This attempted maneuver proves to be based on a failure of elementary logic. Orienting ourselves on Harris' moral landscape requires objective moral judgement a priori, a classic case of begging the question. Harris acknowledges this problem and, almost unbelievably, dismisses it by saying that 'pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps is better than pulling ourselves down'; as if proceeding the other direction around a circular argument will make it linear. In what I think can only be regarded as fool's confidence, Harris claims hereby to have solved Hume's is/ought distinction. I can't help but get the feeling that he didn't bother to jot his argument in syllogistic form before following himself down the garden path and then claiming to have led the way.

The error proves fatal to the entire endeavor. Foundational cracks appear in nearly every argument and analogy made to bolster the thesis. Despite Harris' best efforts, the field of ethics remains firmly beyond the purview of his beloved neurology.

1.0 out of 5 stars Long Live Utilitaria!, April 10 2015
The introduction and first chapter start off with very strong arguments for moral realism and against moral relativism. However, that is where all good things end. From chapter 2 onwards, the author stops talking about philosophy, and goes into his neuroscientific research, which has little to do with philosophical inquiry. Not to mention that Sam Harris does not dwell into much philosophical literature. Also he never once mentions Aristotle for instance, which he could have talked in detail when it came to reason and emotion in chapter 3. In other words, he could have engaged Aristotle qua Virtue Ethics, in that he could have argued for why it is not a sufficient moral theory. When it came to his arguments about religion in Chapter four, Harris does not attempt to engage the religious arguments of Aquinas, or Augustine or Anselm for that matter; instead he engages in a long rant against the editor of Nature due to the latter's religious beliefs. Later on in the final chapter, and perhaps the most disturbing of all, the author starts to lay out his plan for inventing a device for mind-reading as to track down anyone who is a thought of as a threat or to prevent people from lying when engaged in a police investigation. Overall, Chapter five is nothing more than an Act Utilitarian platform which has no regards for rules of law that protects the rights of others as he states that rules are not sufficient for morality. It is in my view, that this work is a poor attempt at trying to do what Massimo Pigliucci calls "Sci-Phi" which attempts to coordinate science and philosophy without breaking Hume's Law, whereas Harris' approach does.

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting book with a unique take on science and morality, Nov. 18 2014
JMM (USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This was a very enlightening book, and might be my favorite one from Sam Harris. Given that Harris is considered one of the most formidable "new atheists", people will look at this book as anti-religious (which it certainly is). But it's important not to overstate that element; Harris is just suggesting that there are other places to get your morals and values besides a holy book.

Much of Harris's argument deals with the idea of suffering. The more we know about science (in particular neuroscience and the brain), the more we are learning are the nuance of suffering. There are different types of suffering, the most obvious one related to physical pain; and we essentially know that all conscious creatures have the capacity to suffer. Harris's discussion of morals boils down the goal of minimizing suffering; as he states it, avoiding "the worst possible misery for everyone".

It's a great book that's has it's moments of difficulty, but in general is a fairly easy and enjoyable read. I think any book that examines morality in any capacity is one worth taking a look at.

After reading the book, I viewed some of Harris's public speaking engagements. He often repeats many of the ideas in his book in these lectures/debate (which can be found online) - so they are worth a watch if you want to reinforce the ideas found within.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values
The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values by Sam Harris (Paperback - Sept. 13 2011)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71