4.0 out of 5 stars Another great zombie book in the series
If you thought that the first book "Day by Day Armageddon" pulled you in and got you hooked, then the second book in the series "Beyond Exile: Day by Day Armageddon" will not disappoint.

Published on July 13 2010 by Al Zombie

3.0 out of 5 stars Story is good
This series has a good story but is hard to get into because of the poor writing style. But, once you bite (ha!) on the story it is a good read.
Published 14 months ago by Andrew Whitford

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great zombie book in the series, July 13 2010
This review is from: Beyond Exile: Day by Day Armageddon (Paperback)

"Beyond Exile" is a great continuation of the story in the first book. We again follow the nameless main character in a world devastated by the rise of the living dead. The book continues in the original style of a diary where the main character explains in vivid detail his encounters with the dead and other survivors he finds along the way.

I do not want to give away the story but to say that it unfolds in such a way that would teach some other author a few things about how to write a great zombie book.

Only big problem with this book is that the main character seems to be able to do a little too much. For a naval pilot, he is now a master of Army/Marine tactics and knows more about them then the Marines he now somehow "commands". The Marines are portrayed as being lost and very unorganized without an officer in charge. Well that is until the main character takes charge. Maybe I could believe some of his skills if he was an officer in the Army or Marines, but not a pilot. Some things do apply, but it is simply not the same thing.

I also found the ending of the book to be VERY rushed. Seems like the last chapter was written very quickly just to get the book out to the publisher, as it simply summarizes what happens instead of explaining things like he does throughout the rest of the book.

Other than that, it was a good read and is worth picking up! Make sure to pick up the first book before reading this one so that everything makes sense.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Wild Ride Continues, Aug. 8 2010
Jeffrey Swystun (Toronto & Mont Tremblant) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Beyond Exile: Day by Day Armageddon (Paperback)
The author outdoes his first entry with this sequel of survival in a zombie infested world. The plot is deeper with explorations of the origin of the virus, shadowy post-apocalypse quasi-governments and military, and changes in zombie behavior and capabilities. The journal format that brings the book to life is still clumsy but forgivable because of the action. Do not look too hard for character development and you will have to excuse some embarrassing dialogue but you will as the pace and plot speed along nicely. The series is fun and a fine contribution to the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, July 11 2014
Great

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, Jan. 16 2014
Brent L - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Beyond Exile: Day by Day Armageddon (Paperback)
I ordered this one right after I finished the first installment.

It was quite strong, if not stronger than the first, introducing elements far beyond moment to moment survival.

If you liked the first one, you will certainly like this one. I sure did.

Without any spoilers, it is hard to explain why I gave it 4 rather than the 5 stars I gave the first one.

Basically, the end of the book starts to take the story in a direction I am not sure I am going to like. It makes me nervous that a series I really came to like may noise dive in the third book (which I already ordered and am reading at the time I write this).

I really loved this until the very end. Now I am nervous about the series conclusion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Story is good, June 20 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down...., Jan. 27 2013
This review is from: Beyond Exile: Day by Day Armageddon (Paperback)
From the first page, I wasn't able to put it down. The style (first person journal entries) is well used and doesn't get tedious or boring to read. The book was obviously well researched and a great deal was taken from the author's personal experience (serving USN officer) and this lends a great deal of legitimacy to the events depicted.

Excellent book (series) for those who enjoy the zombie genre. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Zombie Read - Better Than The First!, Nov. 17 2010
IDGS (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beyond Exile: Day by Day Armageddon (Paperback)
I found this to be far more interesting than the prequel, though as I say in my review of the prior - be sure to read this series in order!

I originally read this book before reading the first, and found the characters (besides the hero) to be extremely wooden and could easily be substituted for cardboard cutouts. However, once I went back and sorted myself out, I found the motivations of the characters to make a lot more sense, hence making a re-read of Beyond Exile to be a lot more enjoyable than the first.

My only criticism - the protagonist seems a little TOO capable in his ability to cope with danger. I won't ruin it for you, but he just seemed a little too superhero in this narrative in comparison to the first - kind of ruins the suspense when you know he's going to waltz through mostly anything put in front of him.

All in all, a 5 star read, no holds barred.

Cheers,

IDGS
Grey Dogs

3.0 out of 5 stars solid follow up to the first book, June 16 2011
This review is from: Beyond Exile: Day by Day Armageddon (Paperback)
Another solid book by J. L. Borne . Its been over a year since I read the first book Day by Day Armageddon, and I think that helped me enjoy this book. Most of the cast from the first book is only mentioned in passing although John does have a role, if I had read the first book more recently, I might have wanted to hear more about the rest of the group.

Like the first book,I read it cover to cover in one day. The whole story focuses on the main character, with supporting cast coming and going as his journey progresses. Its clear the author knows about flying and guns in real life, as someone who doesn't know much about either I felt he does a great job of giving enough info for the story without boring the reader. He gives enough information for me to understand the story, but doesn't seem to be trying to 'show off' how smart he is. For example, when the main character is selecting weapons, the reader understands that hes choosing the more acurate and/or quiet weapon ; but we don't need to read a paragraph on EXACTLY how much more acurate. The author uses the same approach when discussing aircraft.

If I could give this 3.5 stars I would. As much as I enjoyed this book, I found the ending detracted from the overall story. Pages 249-274 seem to be a rush to finish the story that never satisfactory explained one of the core mysteries of the second half of the book. Maybe this is meant to lead into a sequel, but a totally different possible sequel is set into montion that does not appear to deal with the same antagonists. The final 3 pages ( 275-277) shoehorn in one last tidbit of information thats is quite a substantial reveal seems out of place ; It appears meant to support the sequel , but feels like something that should be IN that book, not preceeding it .

If you liked the first one, you will like this one, . When the sequel comes out, Ill read it for sure.

- Andrew

Beyond Exile: Day by Day Armageddon
Beyond Exile: Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne (Paperback - July 13 2010)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71