5.0 out of 5 stars So good!
Creepy and disturbing. The last story was especially interesting in light of the recent trial of Canada's new serial killer/rapist/lingerie freak on the block, Colonel Russell Williams, and the speculation around his wife of nearly 20 years as to whether she was aware of her husband's crimes.
Impossible to put down, except when I went to make the sure the door was...
Published on Nov. 17 2010 by J. Macgillivray

3.0 out of 5 stars FDNS - 3.5
Published 6 months ago by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars So good!, Nov. 17 2010
J. Macgillivray "Maritime Bookworm" (Moncton, NB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Full Dark, No Stars (Hardcover)
Impossible to put down, except when I went to make the sure the door was locked.
SK fans will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars FDNS - 3.5, Jan. 13 2014
Chris (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Full Dark, No Stars (Hardcover)
I wouldn't consider this to be one of the best from Stephen King, whose collections "Night Shift" and "Just After Sunset" are phenomenal. Of the published, "Big Driver" was my favourite of the four. "1922" had good Nebraska imagery, but didn't need to be more than a hundred pages; "A Good Marriage" was dreadful - in content, not writing; and "Fair Extension" was like a "Twilight Zone" episode written by a novice (the ending stank).

5.0 out of 5 stars King Gets Back, Feb. 23 2013
John M. Ford "johnDC" (near DC, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is the third collection of four novellas Stephen King has released. The first two are Different Seasons and Four Past Midnight. The common theme among the stories in this volume seems to be revenge or retribution. Readers shouldn't miss the Afterward section in which King discusses the events that prompted him to begin writing each story.

The four stories are:

"1922" reads like a Stephen King treatment of The Tell-Tale Heart. A depression-era Nebraska farmer and his son commit murder and seem to get away with it. But the experience festers in their minds and in their lives.

"Big Driver" tells about the rape of a woman on a lonely country road and the steps she takes to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else. She gets some good advice from those around her. But she makes a mistake.

"Fair Extension" is a deal-with-the-devil story. Dave Streeter gets an "extension" on his life that makes his cancer go away. He doesn't have to sign away his soul. Not exactly. But he no longer envies the happy life of his best friend, Tom Goodhugh.

"A Good Marriage" introduces Darcy Anderson, who has a happy life and a part-time rare coin business with her husband Bob. One day she discovers that he is a brutal serial killer. It isn't at all clear what the next steps are.

The collection is highly recommended, especially as an audio book. I don't often sit in my car, becoming later and later for work, while I listen to the end of a story. This book did it to me twice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full dark No Stars, July 27 2012
christine (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Full Dark, No Stars (Hardcover)
Very good read, four seperate stories, and each one is different in the way that it is written and the story lines.I can't say too much about the stories or I will spoil it for you, but the last story is a shocker, and could well happen! It just goes to show that you don't know ANYONE at all. You really don't know who your lover really is.
I was totally gripped throughout this whole thing, and enjoyed each and every paragraph. Stephen King does a super job here, one of his best!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing too original, but still a great read, Jan. 24 2012
This review is from: Full Dark, No Stars (Hardcover)
I liked this book even though none of the stories struck me as very original. The first story seemed Edgar Allan Poe-esque and the second story reminded me of the movie "The Last House on the Left" (it actually even mentions that movie in the book). I thought more could have been done with the last story but perhaps the short length of it was the reason that I didn't get completely drawn into it. The book is still an excellent read. I don't think King could write a bad story if he tried! I have books I consider my "junk food of reading" (fun and easy reads) and this would be one of them. All in all, I recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars King Can Excel in Short Form, But Not Always, Feb. 24 2011
Alison S. Coad (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Full Dark, No Stars (Hardcover)
I was a fan of Stephen King for a long time, from the 1970s into the 1990s, but around the "Gunslinger" series, I lost interest and I've only read a few of his books since then. When I saw that "Full Dark, No Stars," was a group of four novellas, though, I thought I'd give it a try as I've always liked his shorter fiction. Well, I found it a mixed bag. I disliked both "1922" and "Big Driver," the first because it felt so misogynistic and the second because it was so mean. But I laughed a lot at "Fair Extension," the shortest story in this book - who hasn't experienced a sense of resentment at the success of somebody else, even a close friend, from time to time? And the last story in the book, "A Good Marriage," was vintage King all the way. So if the first half seemed to me to be King coasting on horrific imagery (particularly of rats), the second half showed that he is still on form, at least when he wants to be. Readers will already know if they like King's work or not; this volume isn't likely to change anybody's mind, but at least the second half kept me entertained over a few cold February nights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best King in Years, April 20 2011
This review is from: Full Dark, No Stars (Hardcover)
I thought this book was great. The stories were mean, much like the way he wrote long ago. I hope his next one will be just as good. Easily his best in a long while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fastest Opinion Turnaround... Well, Ever., April 18 2011
IDGS (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
FULL DARK NO STARS.

Man, what a book. What can be said for it? Well, a lot.

A collection of four unrelated (plot-wise) short stories, they focus mainly on revenge, and matters of that nature. The tales themselves are interesting, very King-ish in every way - well thought-out, comical in their own right, a nice touch of chill, and a critical examination of the human psyche - damaged, or otherwise.

Now, I have to say, upon reading this novel before reaching the afterword, I found myself slightly disappointed. I found that many of the stories lacked the critical 'twist,' detailing more the reaction of someone to a bad situation (sometimes of their own making) rather than a true intricate tale. I found myself waiting for twists that didn't come, or shimmers of the usual SK horror that just didn't deliver.

I finished the last story, a little taken aback. This was an expensive book, and one I had waited a long time to read. I'm a long time King-fan, and this was supposed to cure my craving for at least a short while.

However, and there's always a however.

Upon reading the afterword, my entire opinion on the collection was given a drastic 180. King doesn't usually explain himself or his writing in the novels themselves, usually choosing to detail his thought processes either in other works, or in interviews. In FULL DARK, NO STARS - he does. He gives a clear statement of his intention with the collection, and the aim he sought out to achieve in writing it. This make the whole book that much more interesting to me - the stories being variations on a theme, rather than a bunch of similar tales.

In any case, a 5/5 read any King fan should heartily enjoy.

Just read the afterword once you've finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emphasis on "Dark", Jan. 9 2011
Hey,

Any "Constant Reader" will be in awe of this book. Dark. Amazingly DISTURBING. I almost don't want to recommend...and wouldn't for a newbie to SK. For those of us who are fanatics...go for it. You will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is no "Different Seasons", Dec 20 2010
This review is from: Full Dark, No Stars (Hardcover)
Having been a fan of Stephen King's for many years--I call his books my 'mind candy'--I'm sad to say I was disappointed with this collection. Both of his other collections of novellas, especially the very fine "Different Seasons" which we teach at my high school, were excellent. Indeed, I like to tell my Writer's Craft students that his short story about the embezzler escaping the mob across the Nevada desert in "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" is probably the finest suspense story ever written. But, except for the closing novella in "Full Dark, No Stars", which is only competent and rather derivative (seemingly loosely based on that old chestnut "Lamb to the Slaughter"), the rest seem tossed off, partials he had in an old writer's notebook, in response to which his publishers likely said, "Let's run them up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes them." Margaret Atwood once famously told us that they'd publish and probably successfully sell her laundry list, if she gave it to them, and publications of hers like "Good Bones" and "The Penelopiad" suggest she's been co-opted by her publishers' cynicism. I'm hoping the same future doesn't await Mr. King.

"1922", which opens the collection, has a murderous though thoroughly likeable narrator as its protagonist. Wracked with guilt, as we know he will be, its physical manifestation in the form of rats is well-handled and believable. Two things, however, strain the reader's credulity: first, the Bonnie-and-Clyde crime spree his son and pregnant girlfriend go on, prepostorously 'narrated' to the protagonist by his resurrected wife (but she's not; it's only his guilt again, so how does she/he know so much detail?); secondly, the tacked-on newspaper article. The rats are either real or they're not. To make them so in a ham-handed and artificial way--it's not even written in true newspaper style--is amateurish. As Mr. King does not need to be told, getting out of a story is more challenging than getting in and therefore requires the most care.

Both the second and third stories are fun but neither seems to be carefully written, and again the endings show a weakness which Mr. King in his heyday would never have been guilty of. Tess, the brutalized mystery writer who wreaks personal revenge on a family of psychopaths, finds she will not be handed over to the authorities because the one possible witness was abused herself as a child; this God-send of an accomplice doesn't require bribes or pleading. Indeed, she'll walk away and forget she ever met or heard from Tess. Some loose ends in this story are not tied up at all--the limo driver, for one--but this one is just a little too pat.

I'm passing this collection into the school library a little faster than most; it won't go on my permanent shelf with "Carrie" and "The Shining" and I certainly won't be teaching them in my high school English courses--except perhaps as examples of what NOT to do when exiting a story in the Writer's Craft course.

Full Dark, No Stars
Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King (Hardcover - Nov. 9 2010)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.34