5.0 out of 5 stars So good!
Creepy and disturbing. The last story was especially interesting in light of the recent trial of Canada's new serial killer/rapist/lingerie freak on the block, Colonel Russell Williams, and the speculation around his wife of nearly 20 years as to whether she was aware of her husband's crimes.
Impossible to put down, except when I went to make the sure the door was...
Published on Nov. 17 2010 by J. Macgillivray

3.0 out of 5 stars King Can Excel in Short Form, But Not Always
Published on Feb. 24 2011 by Alison S. Coad

3.0 out of 5 stars King Can Excel in Short Form, But Not Always, Feb. 24 2011
Alison S. Coad (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Ce commentaire est de: Full Dark, No Stars (Hardcover)
I was a fan of Stephen King for a long time, from the 1970s into the 1990s, but around the "Gunslinger" series, I lost interest and I've only read a few of his books since then. When I saw that "Full Dark, No Stars," was a group of four novellas, though, I thought I'd give it a try as I've always liked his shorter fiction. Well, I found it a mixed bag. I disliked both "1922" and "Big Driver," the first because it felt so misogynistic and the second because it was so mean. But I laughed a lot at "Fair Extension," the shortest story in this book - who hasn't experienced a sense of resentment at the success of somebody else, even a close friend, from time to time? And the last story in the book, "A Good Marriage," was vintage King all the way. So if the first half seemed to me to be King coasting on horrific imagery (particularly of rats), the second half showed that he is still on form, at least when he wants to be. Readers will already know if they like King's work or not; this volume isn't likely to change anybody's mind, but at least the second half kept me entertained over a few cold February nights.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is no "Different Seasons", Dec 20 2010
Ce commentaire est de: Full Dark, No Stars (Hardcover)
Having been a fan of Stephen King's for many years--I call his books my 'mind candy'--I'm sad to say I was disappointed with this collection. Both of his other collections of novellas, especially the very fine "Different Seasons" which we teach at my high school, were excellent. Indeed, I like to tell my Writer's Craft students that his short story about the embezzler escaping the mob across the Nevada desert in "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" is probably the finest suspense story ever written. But, except for the closing novella in "Full Dark, No Stars", which is only competent and rather derivative (seemingly loosely based on that old chestnut "Lamb to the Slaughter"), the rest seem tossed off, partials he had in an old writer's notebook, in response to which his publishers likely said, "Let's run them up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes them." Margaret Atwood once famously told us that they'd publish and probably successfully sell her laundry list, if she gave it to them, and publications of hers like "Good Bones" and "The Penelopiad" suggest she's been co-opted by her publishers' cynicism. I'm hoping the same future doesn't await Mr. King.

"1922", which opens the collection, has a murderous though thoroughly likeable narrator as its protagonist. Wracked with guilt, as we know he will be, its physical manifestation in the form of rats is well-handled and believable. Two things, however, strain the reader's credulity: first, the Bonnie-and-Clyde crime spree his son and pregnant girlfriend go on, prepostorously 'narrated' to the protagonist by his resurrected wife (but she's not; it's only his guilt again, so how does she/he know so much detail?); secondly, the tacked-on newspaper article. The rats are either real or they're not. To make them so in a ham-handed and artificial way--it's not even written in true newspaper style--is amateurish. As Mr. King does not need to be told, getting out of a story is more challenging than getting in and therefore requires the most care.

Both the second and third stories are fun but neither seems to be carefully written, and again the endings show a weakness which Mr. King in his heyday would never have been guilty of. Tess, the brutalized mystery writer who wreaks personal revenge on a family of psychopaths, finds she will not be handed over to the authorities because the one possible witness was abused herself as a child; this God-send of an accomplice doesn't require bribes or pleading. Indeed, she'll walk away and forget she ever met or heard from Tess. Some loose ends in this story are not tied up at all--the limo driver, for one--but this one is just a little too pat.

I'm passing this collection into the school library a little faster than most; it won't go on my permanent shelf with "Carrie" and "The Shining" and I certainly won't be teaching them in my high school English courses--except perhaps as examples of what NOT to do when exiting a story in the Writer's Craft course.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good!, Nov. 17 2010
J. Macgillivray "Maritime Bookworm" (Moncton, NB, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Full Dark, No Stars (Hardcover)
Impossible to put down, except when I went to make the sure the door was locked.
SK fans will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emphasis on "Dark", Jan. 9 2011
Hey,

Any "Constant Reader" will be in awe of this book. Dark. Amazingly DISTURBING. I almost don't want to recommend...and wouldn't for a newbie to SK. For those of us who are fanatics...go for it. You will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars FDNS - 3.5, Jan. 13 2014
Chris (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Full Dark, No Stars (Hardcover)
I wouldn't consider this to be one of the best from Stephen King, whose collections "Night Shift" and "Just After Sunset" are phenomenal. Of the published, "Big Driver" was my favourite of the four. "1922" had good Nebraska imagery, but didn't need to be more than a hundred pages; "A Good Marriage" was dreadful - in content, not writing; and "Fair Extension" was like a "Twilight Zone" episode written by a novice (the ending stank).

5.0 out of 5 stars King Gets Back, Feb. 23 2013
John M. Ford "johnDC" (near DC, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: Full Dark, No Stars (Kindle Edition)
This is the third collection of four novellas Stephen King has released. The first two are Different Seasons and Four Past Midnight. The common theme among the stories in this volume seems to be revenge or retribution. Readers shouldn't miss the Afterward section in which King discusses the events that prompted him to begin writing each story.

The four stories are:

"1922" reads like a Stephen King treatment of The Tell-Tale Heart. A depression-era Nebraska farmer and his son commit murder and seem to get away with it. But the experience festers in their minds and in their lives.

"Big Driver" tells about the rape of a woman on a lonely country road and the steps she takes to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else. She gets some good advice from those around her. But she makes a mistake.

"Fair Extension" is a deal-with-the-devil story. Dave Streeter gets an "extension" on his life that makes his cancer go away. He doesn't have to sign away his soul. Not exactly. But he no longer envies the happy life of his best friend, Tom Goodhugh.

"A Good Marriage" introduces Darcy Anderson, who has a happy life and a part-time rare coin business with her husband Bob. One day she discovers that he is a brutal serial killer. It isn't at all clear what the next steps are.

The collection is highly recommended, especially as an audio book. I don't often sit in my car, becoming later and later for work, while I listen to the end of a story. This book did it to me twice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full dark No Stars, July 27 2012
christine (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Full Dark, No Stars (Hardcover)
Very good read, four seperate stories, and each one is different in the way that it is written and the story lines.I can't say too much about the stories or I will spoil it for you, but the last story is a shocker, and could well happen! It just goes to show that you don't know ANYONE at all. You really don't know who your lover really is.
I was totally gripped throughout this whole thing, and enjoyed each and every paragraph. Stephen King does a super job here, one of his best!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary stuff, Dec 26 2010
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Full Dark, No Stars (Audio CD)
This is a seriously chilly group of stories.
The killing of a woman and the rape of another is very real.
I found these stories to be the most gruesome Stephen King I have ever read or seen.
But of course this is what I like.
And this is a sure pinnacle of sorts for King.
I am not scared easily, and these are no fantasy tales, so surely reality is more scary than fiction.
Or is it fiction?...

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Dark No Stars, Feb. 11 2011
Ce commentaire est de: Full Dark, No Stars (Hardcover)
I gave this book to my husband and a friend for Xmas and both them couldn't put it down. When my husband finished reading it, he enjoyed it so much he decided to read it again. He's an avid reader of Stephen King. So if you are a fan...definitely one that you want to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Entertainment but Not Iconic King, Dec 2 2010
Jeffrey Swystun (Toronto & Mont Tremblant) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: Full Dark, No Stars (Hardcover)
King's collections always offer up great value and these four stories of retribution provide the reader with solid entertainment. The opener, "1922," introduces us to Wilf James, an unhappily married farmer whose land dispute with his wife ends up in murder. It is reminiscent of Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart" but the most interesting aspect is how Wilf co-opts his son and what impact that produces. "Big Driver," had me riveted for the most part. The action takes place in contemporary New England and follows Tess, a moderately popular mystery writer. King challenges her and the reader when he wrenches an innocent person from the comfortable to the traumatic.

King makes a deal with the devil in "Fair Extension". A discontented mid-level executive in pursuit of happiness offers up his life-long friend for disastrous failure - a swap of circumstance that explores loyalty and jealousy. The pace picks up again with "A Good Marriage". What if you discovered your spouse was not who they appeared? The story of Bob and Darcy Anderson describes the secrets hidden in relationships and when, once revealed, causes each person to react.

These were dark and gritty stories that have tied me over for awhile. I remain hopeful that King has another epic novel in him like Salem's Lot, The Stand, and The Shining. While I have appreciated his recent turns with Cell and The Dome, we need him to knock another out of the park.

Full Dark, No Stars
Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King (Hardcover - Nov. 9 2010)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.70