4.0 out of 5 stars awesome
Very good read:) I really enjoyed it! This is my first from this author and I'll definitely be reading more from her work!
Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars I love Julie Garwood, but this wasnt her best.......
This book was ok....I think what bothered me most about it was the fact that we didnt really get to know the characters all that well. I felt that the begining of their relationship, when they were just getting to know each other, was rushed. To me, that was a crucial time..... because this is when they would have been getting to know one another....I felt that we lost...
Published on Aug. 9 2002 by M. I.

4.0 out of 5 stars awesome, Nov. 5 2013
This review is from: The Secret (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, March 12 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Secret (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a great book with superb characters and a great plot. Little did we know what would befall them in RANSOM, however. This book is similar to some other works by Ms. Garwood. Another good one to pick up is *The Rose of Enchantment,* by K.N. Bender. It's as good or better than most romances, and the main character reminds me of Ms. Garwood's hero, Gabriel from *Saving Grace*.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable!, Feb. 29 2004
This review is from: The Secret (Mass Market Paperback)
Julie Garwood is absolutely beautiful in her writing. This is one of my favorites from her, and I have many! 'The Secret' is funny, touching, heartwarming, and filled with out-loud gasps, sighs, and laughs. I don't think I've ever laughed so much reading a book.
She's very talented and knows how to layer up her characters to the point where you can guess what they'll do next. Her eye for detail is one remarkable thing, and it puts you back in time.
When I started this book, I was hooked. Never put it down! Iain Maitland and Judith Hampton, along with the many others, were greatly brought to life, and their arguments are hilarious. So is the way Iain confuses the heck out of Judith.
All together: A remarkable, beautiful romance. I recommend it to all who like to read a good book. I'd also recommend a few others writers, starting with an all-time fave, Nora Roberts --who also writes under the pen name JD Robb for her "... in Death" series. Barbara Delinsky, Luanne Rice, Danielle Steel, Debbie Macomber, Judith McNaught, and Stephanie Laurens are awesome, too! Check them out whenever you can. You won't regret!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Secret + Ransom = One Very Happy Romance Reader, Feb. 12 2004
This review is from: The Secret (Mass Market Paperback)
The Secret is one of Julie Garwood's fantastic novels featuring a tough, sexy Scottish Laird and a daring and sweet English Lady. The Laird is Iain Maitland a rough and disciplined warrior who is used to being obeyed and has a temper like a thunderstorm. The Lady is Judith Hampton, a woman who has spent her life moving back and forth to live with different relatives but remains hopeful and cheery.
The character's personalities are really good. Iain is direct, forceful and protective, but as the book develops he really lets his guard down with Judith. Judith is sassy and bold and forward thinking, she tries to make things better for the women in Iain's clan, and Iain, being a nice guy in a bad boy's body backs her up and helps her get her way.
Overall I loved this book and reread it a lot. It's charming, funny and sentimental. The ending is great and leads me on to giving the sequel a mention. The sequel is called Ransom and is another one of my Five Star reviews and probably my favourite historical of them all. Reading The Secret really pays off because you can then find out about what happens to Brodick (sigh - surely the sexiest and strong yet kind hero ever written) and Ramsey (not half bad either!) as well as catching up on dear Judith and dishy Iain. In the next book two more heroines, the perceptive and smart Gillian and the naïve but lovable Brigid are introduced. So, what the hell are you waiting for? Read these books!
JoAnne

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent... A favorite..., Jan. 5 2004
This review is from: The Secret (Mass Market Paperback)
Julie Garwood is an absolute favorite. She's a beautiful writer and makes you fall in love with her characters and brings settings to life. She's perfect in the line of work she's chosen. A definite romance-queen.
This story was beautiful, as so many of Ms. Garwood are. The first of hers I read and fell head over heels for was 'Prince Charming'. That was one heck of a book.
Word to Julie Garwood: Keep going.

4.0 out of 5 stars a wonderfully woven story..., Nov. 18 2003
Valerie S. "gravehearted" (Campbell, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret (Mass Market Paperback)
Julie Garwood is a master story teller and this book will certainly not disappoint. You come to love Judith and her deep bond with her best friend, Frances. I felt that Judith was a wonderful heroine and much more true and believable than many of Garwood's others. You come to care for Judith and Iain, and this is a special love story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching, Aug. 27 2003
This review is from: The Secret (Mass Market Paperback)
If you crave for good love stories this is a definite MUST read....Julie Garwood "HAS" out-done herself this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Favorite from Garwood, Aug. 15 2003
Jennifer French (Garland, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret (Mass Market Paperback)
Three words: Buy this book. This is one of Julie's best books. The story begins with the heroine, Judith, attending a Scottish fair when she is five years old. It is here that she meets her best friend, Mary Kathleen (also five) while battling a bee. In this friendship is the grounding Judith needs in her tumultous life.
Years later, Judith travels to Mary Kathleen in order to be present for the birth of Mary Kathleen's first child. To fetch her, Mary Kathleen sends her brotherin-law and laird, Ian, who promptly belives that Judith will have to be taken by force to Scotland. However, when he arrives, she is packed and ready to go.
The love story between Judity and Ian is amazing. It's sweet and progresses with believable pacing. The side characters of Brodrick and Ramsey set up another classic of Garwood "Ransom." However, it is important to realize that one of the main grounding points of this book is the friendship between the two women. This is not a topic often discussed or talked about in a romance novel, and provides a nice change of pace.
I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, July 30 2003
This review is from: The Secret (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is awesome! The friendship of the two women (Frances Catherine and Judith "Elizabeth") from childhood to adulthood is wonderful to read. The attraction between Iain and Judith is completely understandable and realistic. A strange Englishwoman in the Highlands changes the Maitland Clan forever. The supporting characters are great too: Brodick, Isabelle, Patrick, Winslow and of course Frances Catherine. PS. The first chapter will totally capture--you meet Frances and Judith as they meet each other. It's unforgettable

5.0 out of 5 stars :), July 9 2003
This review is from: The Secret (Mass Market Paperback)
At first I hesitated to read this book. Then boredom got the best of me and the urge from a sweet boyfriend. So....
I started this wonderful novel. Not only did I keep it in my hands, but it touched my heart as with all of Julie Garwood's books have done.
I strongly recommend this book to everyone who loves a lovestory.

ARRAY(0xb31558f4)

The Secret
The Secret by Julie Garwood (Mass Market Paperback - May 25 2010)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01