5.0 out of 5 stars Short but satisfying sequel.
I recently read Love Comes Softly for the second time, having read the first years before. I was in high school then, and a love story that snuck up on you wasn't what I was looking for, so I stopped at the first book in the series. I'm sorry I did. I would have enjoyed Love's Enduring Promise more.
The story picks up a couple of years after the end of LCS and we...
Published on July 22 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars All about Missie, Clae and Nandry
Published on July 15 2003 by Bonnie McKinzie

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but satisfying sequel., July 22 2003
By A Customer
The story picks up a couple of years after the end of LCS and we are treated to anecdotes and thoughts told from Marty's point of view, but we're also let in on almost every other character's first person feelings at least once. Love doesn't come so softly in this book, it's a pretty recurring subject in the different characters, both minor and major.
This is a very quick read (I read it in less than a day, and I have three small children) which makes it appealing. My criticism comes with the brevity of the chapters, and the way Mrs. Oke skips over seasons to get to another year. Personally, I prefer to either have either a little more detail, or I simply like to turn the page and find a year has passed with a quick review of the changes in the narrative. It seems to me that the author wrote this book solely to let us know what happens to our favorite characters in the first and may have cheated us a little on the character building. Also, as in the first, I found it a little difficult to read the Pioneer language as it's spoken. Something I'm able to overlook and embrace as a talent of Mrs. Oke's, but just beware that it is as prevalent here as it is in the first novel.
But 99% of me loved the book. I was pleased to see many of the characters from the first happily included in both the sequel AND the Davis family. There are a couple of characters I would have liked to have more insight into, but perhaps further along in her series I'll find satisfaction.
Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars All about Missie, Clae and Nandry, July 15 2003
Bonnie McKinzie (Garden Grove, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Book two covered way more time span than book one. When the book opens, the community is hoping for a school to be built and Missie is barely 5 yrs. old. When the book ends, she is a bride. In the interim, Clae and Nandry have lost both their parents for different reasons, moved to a new home, and each has married. Clark and Marty continue on, having several children in this one book which I feel covers way too much time too quickly. I have already started re-reading book 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars you have to read this book, May 2 2000
Terri Booth (USA, Superior,WI) - See all my reviews
I had read the first part of this book "Love Comes Softly" and I thought it was great so I had to read the next part. I also thought the second part was also great.. How they cotinued the book from when Missy was young to the day she got married. as soon as I get the chance I am going to read the rest of the book. Once you start reading these books it is very hard to put them down.. I would recomend these book to anyone who wants to read a great book..

3.0 out of 5 stars Loves Enduring Promise, March 30 2000
By A Customer
The second book in the Love Comes softly series moves through time a bit to quickly. It does unfold the story of the life Marty and Clark share together. It left me taking a deep breath. Too much happens in it. I felt dissapointed yet ready for the next book. Over all it was a story that modeled how a family could be like and how life really is "fast".

2.0 out of 5 stars The first one is a great deal better, July 18 2000
I learnt a lot from the first book so that's why I bought this one. But I find it disappointing. There isn't any climax. I just browsed thru this book without reading every word, unlike I usually do.I may say "Love's enduring promise" is boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book in the Love Comes Softly series., Sept. 19 2013
I enjoyed reading this second book again. It is not quite the same as the movie but still wonderful. You are taken again into the Davis' family and the children are growing up and more are born too. Janette Oke is a wonderful author and you are drawn in to the story. I would recommend this series very highly, especially if you liked the Little House books. Enjoy!!

Love's Enduring Promise
Love's Enduring Promise by Janette Oke (Library Binding - Aug. 11 2008)
Out of stock