Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: Library BindingChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on February 20, 2001
I love mysteries, series mysteries, Female leads, nature, animals..yet once again I was reminded why I hate the Nevada Barr series as I slogged thru "Deep South"!
What a drag...stereotypes, cliches...and a thoroughly unlikeable character in Anna Pigeon. The line about her "bureaucratic clock" ticking was one of the few funny parts of the book ...but it essentially reminds us what a government worker Anna is...I had the feeling she is truly just putting in her time. Reading this book is about as boring as reading bureaucratic handbooks!
I strongly disliked the plot too...too many suspects, red herrings, and the final "motive" in the last chapter did not ring true...when the corpse is a young teenage girl, I would expect a more serious plot/motive...there was no real motive here...I also despised the gratuitous maiming of the dog...and the fact that the culprit in that maiming was named, yet apparently nothing was being done about his crime.
Anna's battle with the wine bottle was distasteful; very other little info is given about her other than her obsession with wine. We have no idea what sort of food, music, movies, she likes.....I agree with other reviewers that Anna has NO friends, no other woman character except for her phone conversations with her sister...she doesn't like much...and frankly I don't like HER or these books!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2000
Nevada Barr has successfully added yet another chapter to the ever increasing canon of prejudice towards the South. The descriptions of the landscape are the only worthwhile part of this bigoted travesty; apparently, her perspective of Natchez never adjusted from the watchtower she occupied as a park ranger there. I did not read her last book -- set in New York -- but did it have any descriptions of "plunger justice," or is that now considered socially acceptable. I suggest Ms Barr stay with what she understands and write a book on botany.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse