summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Home All-New Kindle sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
Artist's Journal Workshop is a wonderful book for anyone looking to start a sketch journal. It's a 144-page paperback with beautifully laid out pages.

It's packed with lots of tips on finding ideas, and from there, you can discover which style suits you. This book really brings across how fun sketching can be.

There are 27 artists who share their sketch pages in this book. Some of them are Danny Gregory, Nina Johansson, Liz Steel, Lapin, Cathy Johnson herself, of course, and many more. They also share their insights.

Since this book is about journaling, the examples are mostly about illustrating what you see. It can be drawing people, places, animals or food. It's very inspiring to check out all the artists' work, even the seemingly mundane stuff look interesting when illustrated.

Highly recommended, especially to sketchbook lovers.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 23, 2015
Without a doubt, this is my favourite of the books showing examples of techniques and composition for textbooks. I re-read this all the time for inspiration, and her ideas for materials are good. I recently started using a fountain pen with waterproof ink due to some examples in this book.

Beautiful layout, some of the artists here have exceptional composition skills, which is sometimes difficult in a small sketchbook.
on May 5, 2016
I have really enjoyed this book, and am looking forward to putting the ideas into practice with regular journaling. I like that Cathy focuses on the "whys" of journaling and keeping a sketchbook more than the "hows." Great strategies to keep going despite mistakes, and to see your journal as a place to record growth and progress, not finished works of art.
on September 22, 2015
I have always admired the artwork of Cathy Johnson, and after reading many of the awesome reviews for this book, I decided to purchase it. What a great book for someone like myself who is new to art-journaling. There are 27 International Artists that have shared ideas and techniques to make this a wonderful book.
on April 12, 2016
Great book. Neat to look at. Filled with ideas. Doesn't prattle on about supplies (which I find a lot of these books do). It still covers them, but gets more into ideas and inspiration. Just what I was after.
on January 16, 2016
It is just great- so many ideas and instructions. I have started putting into practice the instructions for different applications in journalling and drawing or saving mementos of events.
on February 3, 2014
felt like I was taking a very comfortable class. I will recommend this book to others and I,m sure revisit it often.
on August 12, 2014
Awesome pictures and suggestions on "how to" - my journal pages are now jumping off the page!