5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic narration by Curry!
I had planned to listen to this audiobook during the holidays, which I had borrowed from the library. When I received a free gift from Audible to download this latest version narrated by Tim Curry, I chose to listen to this edition instead.

Published on Jan. 4 2013 by Darlene

3.0 out of 5 stars The ways of Scrooge
A Christmas Carol is a story of social conscious, where wrongs are righted and kindness prevails. Set in a time much like today: where poverty is widespread, being of the middle class is popular and a small population holds a large potion of the wealth. Social class dictates life, most lifetimes are spent in a single class and there is seldom movement within the...
Published on April 12 2002 by Megan

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic narration by Curry!, Jan. 4 2013
Darlene (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Ebenezer Scrooge is a miserable old skinflint who runs Scrooge & Marley, a counting-house firm in London, England. His business partner, Jacob Marley, passed away seven years before, and Scrooge runs the firm with an iron-first. His employee, Bob Cratchit, is given a hard time when he asks to have Christmas Day off to spend in celebration with his family. Cratchit maintains that it is only once a year, and Scrooge's retort is that it is "a poor excuse for picking a man’s pocket every twenty-fifth of December!" Although Scrooge reluctantly agrees, he demands that Bob come in the following day extra early to make up for it!

When Scrooge returns home on Christmas Eve, he is startled to see that the brass knocker on his door has turned into a likeness of Jacob Marley. Later that evening, he is visited by Marley's ghost. At first, he refused to believe that Marley was real. Marley's ghost is covered in chains attached to cash-boxes, padlocks, and ledgers. Marley warns Scrooge that he is destined to the same fate if he does not change his ways, telling him: "I wear the chain I forged in life...I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and my own free will I wore it." Marley foretells of the three ghosts that will visit Scrooge.

I read A Christmas Carol way back in high school, so this is a re-read for me. This classic still hasn't lost its charm. It is a heart-warming story of second chances and redemption, which makes it a perfect holiday read! One of my favourite parts of the story is during Stave Three, when Scrooge sees Tiny Tim's crutch and asks the Ghost of Christmas Present whether the boy will die. It is already apparent that the events of the evening have begun to thaw Scrooge's hardened heart.

When I saw that Tim Curry narrated this version, I was immediately intrigued because Curry has such a big personality with a booming voice to match. He didn't let me down! Tim Curry's narration was fantastic! He does an amazing job of bringing Scrooge's personality across in his narration, and I highly recommend this rendition!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Beautiful!, Dec 27 2011
Rod Doiron (Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Hardcover)
I am a huge fan of A Christmas Carol - bordering on obsessive. I've read the book 45 times so far and still look forward to reading it each year. You probably know how wonderful the book is so I'll restrict my comments to this edition.

I buy every edition that looks particularly attractive or unique and have dozens of them on my shelves.

This edition may well be the most attractive one I have. The illustrations by P.J. Lynch are beautiful and plentiful. I believe there are only three places you could open the book and not see an illustration.

It's a good solid book with heavier than normal pages and with a type font that is clean and clear.

Great attention seems to have been paid to the smallest detail including the stitching and book jacket. Look under the book jacket and you will find the knocker with the image of Marley's Ghost upon it.

I'm very pleased I bought this book. There are several terrific editions of this short novel available but I doubt that any can surpass this effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas Carol to treasure for Christmases yet to come, Nov. 8 2003
Herbert T. Moskovitz "Herbphilly" (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Audio CD)
A Christmas Carol Audiobook
read by Jim Dale
I once heard it said that to appreciate Dickens best, one should read his stories aloud. I have never had the time to try to do this, but having just listened to a new unabridged reading of A Christmas Carol from Random House, I can see the validity of the statement. Playing the CD's I felt as if the narrator was, in the words of Dickens himself, "standing in the spirit at your elbow."
And what a narrator! The multi-talented Jim Dale reads the story...no, that is not correct...Jim Dale PERFORMS the story. I counted 42 voices in the three-hour recording. Jim Dale is well known for his over 200 voices (and counting) bringing to life all of the characters in the Harry Potter books, which he also records for Random House's Listening Library.
I first saw Jim Dale in the 1977 Disney movie Pete's Dragon where he played the bumbling villain. The next year he played three hilarious characters in another Disney film, Hot Lead and Cold Feet. I was lucky to see him in two musicals on Broadway, in Barnum, and Me and My Girl. Both very memorable performances. I plan to see him next month as he sings and dances Scrooge in Madison Square Garden's Christmas Carol - The Musical. I figure if he is great in the audiobook, he will be even better on stage. An actor has only two tools...his voice and his body. In the audiobooks, of course, only the voice can be used.
And Dale's voice talents are well showcased here. I often found myself laughing out loud, thanks to the combined genius of Dickens and Dale. In a couple of cases, the genius is pure Dale. At one point he adds a bit of a dog's panting that really cracked me up.
I have seen and/or heard other wonderful actors do one-man renditions of A Christmas Carol. A number of years ago a friend played a tape for me of John Gielgud doing an abridged version. I saw Patrick Stewart do his acclaimed one man show on Broadway; from the first row! And I have seen the author's great-great grandson, Gerald Dickens do his skilled and energetic version several times. They are all memorable and it would be impossible to say which was the best. But I can heartily recommend that Jim Dale's version be added to the family library. It is complete, it is accurate and it is a virtuoso performance.
Although I certainly know the story well, I found by listening to the audiobook I was paying closer attention to the lesser known parts...the parts that, to be honest, I usually would skim over when rereading the book. In fact, there were several sections where I felt as if I were hearing them for the first time. Marvelous sections. I couldn't believe I had missed them in the past. Maybe Jim Dale's voice just made them more vibrant than my own inner voice.
I suppose that asking me to review Jim Dale reading A Christmas Carol really isn't fair. One of my favorite performers reading my favorite story by my favorite author! But surely I am not alone. Dickens is universally known as England's greatest novelist. I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Dale was gaining a reputation as one of the world's greatest readers of audiobooks. They are both master storytellers. And to quote the Dickens himself, "If that's not high praise, tell me higher, and I'll use it."

4.0 out of 5 stars Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol, Feb. 18 2004
By A Customer
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens is a really good book I thought. Your learn not to be greedy, selfish, and how to spread tons of love around Christmas. It teaches you not to take grantite of what you have. You should be thankful for what you got. The three ghosts of past, present, and the futer of Christmas. Ebenezer Scrooge is haunted by all the ghost plus his old friend Jacob Marley. This book is heart warmer to all or at least it should be. I hope everyone takes the time to read this heart warming book and enjoy it time after time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating!, Dec 28 2011
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Hardcover)
All these years of watching different versions of Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" can lead you to think you know this story by heart. Well even the best adaptations of this story do diverge from the original text. I read this recently for the first time about a week or so before Christmas and it was a revelation. Firstly, I found it a thoroughly enjoyable read. But there are differences. Scrooge is described and illustrated somewhat differently than all the versions of the character I've ever seen. There are scenes in the book that I don't recall seeing in any film or television versions. Conversely there are scenes in the filmed versions that are not present in the original book or they're extrapolations of something only mentioned in the book but not elaborated upon.

The illustrations are a wonderful and appropriate enhancement that lend the story added dimension and a genuine sense of setting. They don't look like period illustrations (too contemporary looking in style) but they are very effective and well done.

I heartily recommend this version of Dicken's classic if you've never read it before and even if you have. It also serves to give you a greater appreciation of your favourite filmed version.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT WOULDN'T BE CHRISTMAS WITHOUT..., Oct. 31 2007
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Audio CD)
Some songs, customs, and stories are so beloved, so familiar that they have become an integral part of our holiday celebrations. It wouldn't be the 4th of July without a parade; it wouldn't be Valentine's Day without a heart shaped box; and it wouldn't be Christmas without hearing "Silent Night" and a reading of "A Christmas Carol."

Every once in a while another version or recording comes along that makes the familiar seem new, we hear it as though for the first time. That is certainly the case with this performance of "A Christmas Carol" by the irrepressible Jonathan Winters. He inhabits every character from Scrooge to his housekeeper to Tiny Tim, offering in his own incomparable manner the way he thinks each character would sound.

Never has a Scrooge been meaner, a ghost more menacing or Tiny Tim more winning. Mr. Winters has been called "a one-man theatrical troupe" - indeed, he is as he not only presents amazingly different voices but sound effects as well. This is a one-of-a-kind version of "A Christmas Carol."

Enjoy!

- Gail Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars Evoking the true spirit of Christmas since 1843, Dec 20 2003
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Aside from the Bible, Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol is probably the most familiar and well-known book ever published. Scores of film adaptations have been made over the years, taking Dickens' story of one man's redemption to all the corners of the globe. The name Ebenezer Scrooge immediately brings to mind the miserly curmudgeon whose life and very nature were radically changed after the visitation of four ghosts one early Christmas morning. Jacob Marley, Scrooge's former partner, returns in spirit form to warn Scrooge of the ponderous chain he is forging in life by his penny-pinching, selfish, Christmas-hating ways. Then, of course, the ghosts of Christmas past, Christmas present, and Christmas future come to call for an increasingly troubled soul who comes to see the worthlessness of his purely materialistic life. A Christmas Carol offers a truly amazing character study. Scrooge, this seemingly incorrigible fellow, quickly becomes a sympathetic character as we view the circumstances of his life. From a lonely boy rejected by his father (who blames him for the death of his wife in childbirth), we see a sensitive soul, one quite capable of feeling and expressing both happiness and love, grow greedy and cold, shutting even the woman he loves out of his life. Completely broken down by the scenes revealed by the ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, Scrooge's transformation is remarkably real and powerful.
Little need be said about this timeless classic, as it is a story virtually everyone knows in some detail. The message is clear to all of us, as well. Dickens, the social conscience of the 19th century, illustrates the humanity and worth of even the lowliest of society's members and casts the harsh light of truth on those with the means but not the desire to help their fellow man, giving new life to the cliché "you can't take it with you." Dickens briefly alludes to the religious aspects of the holiday, but he vividly evokes the true and rightful spirit of Christmas in humanistic terms. This is a timeless story that will forever be a part of each Christmas season. Not only does it impart lessons of the highest order, it never fails to charm and delight you no matter how many times you have previously read the story (and watched the movie adaptations) over the years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Step Above Most Other Versions, Nov. 27 2003
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Paperback)
I am not going to review the Charles Dickens novel 'A Christmas Carol' in this review. I did that already (see my other reviews to read that), and, of course, I gave it 5 stars.
What I'd like to comment on is the extra's this version brings. For instance, the original art work from the first edition by artist John Leech are here, placed where they were originally. There are also the actual 1843 and 1844 critics reviews in this book so one can see what was originally thought about this classic at the time of its release.
Author Richard Kelly gives his perspective on the reasoning behind Dickens writing this ghostly Christmas story - the why's and wherefore's of the characters and scenes, which, for me, gave a little more of an understanding of what may have been going through Mr. Dickens mind at the time.
Mr. Kelly also writes a bit on child labor, education, and the workhouse, which, again, opens the mind a bit more in reading this story.
There is also a chapter that has many writings by Dickens contemporaries, such as Washington Irving, and their own descriptions of Christmas in their time.
Believe it or not, there is quite a bit more in this book than what I've told you, including, of course, "Carol" itself. It makes a very interesting read and can help one to understand the purpose behind Dickens original classic, as well as of the times in which he wrote.
A lot to read at a very good price. There are many many versions of 'A Christmas Carol' available, but this one takes it a bit further than most.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Step Above Most Other Versions, Nov. 27 2003
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Paperback)
Believe it or not, there is quite a bit more in this book than what I've told you. It makes a very interesting read and can help one to understand the purpose behind Dickens original classic, as well as of the times of which he wrote.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that everyone should read, Sept. 17 2003
Bill R. Moore (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
There is no reason to go into the plot or particulars of A Christmas Carol: I know of no one who is not conversant with it. Almost everyone, from young children to senior citizens, has at least seen it in a screen adaptation. It has become an integral part of the Christmas season, an immortal classic, beloved by both young and old. That said, if you have never read the original text, you owe it to yourself to do so. This story, though short and simple, is a timeless classic for a reason: it is immaculately written, has a great theme, and is undeniably heartwarming. Dickens is at his brief best here, deftly and skillfully weaving this immortal story in a spellbinding manner, making great and timeless art out of what would have been an overly-sugary-sweet mess in the hands of a lesser writer. This story is good enough, and well-written enough, to melt the cold hard of any cynic. The prose style he uses in this book is just about perfect: it makes for a fast-paced read which can easily be read in one setting, while also managing to be entertaining, and even suspenseful -- with a fine moral to boot. The story is also more than it seems: in addition to the simple morality tale, Dickens manages to weave in some social criticism, while also intermixing elements of horror and not a slight bit of humor. This is one of the few books that I truly recommend to everyone. Everyone can read it, and everyone can enjoy it. An essential classic.

A Christmas Carol
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (Paperback - Jan. 12 2009)
CDN$ 8.39 CDN$ 8.31
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available