It

1.0 out of 5 stars IT delivers forceful horror, if you don't mind its crassness
Published on Oct. 27 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars IT Changed My Life, Nov. 18 2010
This review is from: It (Hardcover)
In 1981, Stephen King began writing the best book I've ever read. "IT" was my first King novel, from the moment I opened the cover, and took in the ever haunting and mesmerizing initial sentence, I was enthralled, and had to prepare myself for a 1090 page journey that would change my life. Although the basic concept of the monster that takes the form of your worst nightmare is brilliant, the stories shining quality is in the way it portrays the values of friendship, childhood, memory, and growing up. No other author has ever captured these feelings better then King, and the magnificient ending brought a tear to my eye. Character developement is astounding and a number of disturbing scenes make the story more real and suspenseful. "IT" weighs in at 1090 pages, each as important as it's predecessor, not one is out of place or unnecessary. There is only one major flaw present, an unavoidable curse that plagues all great stories, it ends. But let me assure you my friends, it ends beautifully. Thank you very much Mr. King, you've changed my entire outlook on writing and filled me with memories that I will cherish deeply and never forget. I will forever hold an undying respect for you and all of your written work. I only hope that perhaps one day, I will be able to write a story that will have as much of an impact on you as IT had on me.

5.0 out of 5 stars King Provides the Scares in "It", April 23 2012
This review is from: It (Hardcover)
Scary, poignant, and surprisingly real, Stephen King's 1987 door-stop novel is as much a coming of age tale as it is a horror story. "It" has all the ingredients of classic King: a sleepy Maine town? Check. Flawed, yet believable characters? Check. Supernatural forces? Check.

The book's length rivals that of The Stand (uncut version) finishing off at over 1000 pages, and although this may exasperate some readers, the story contains some truly terrifying scenes that are amplified by the helplessness of the child protagonists. Yes, King does tend to go over-board with the details, but his portrayal of characters is astoundingly accurate. No doubt, readers will relate to at least one aspect of the troubled band of misfits as they try to survive both their personal lives and the horror that threatens the town.

For King fans, "It" is a must read. Newer readers, however, may be put-off by the novel's length, but even if you only read one Stephen King book, make "It" your first choice.

1.0 out of 5 stars IT delivers forceful horror, if you don't mind its crassness, Oct. 27 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: It (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book after being impressed with Stephen King's "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption." I was captivated because of King's ability to write engaging and believable characters. He does this even moreso in "It", but many of the characters are crude, crass, and have very little morals. In fact, it is sometimes hard to respect them as "the good guys," simply because they aren't very good(main character Beverly, age 11, having sex with the six boy "good guys" as a way to save their lives is a disgusting case-in-point) Aside from the crudeness of many characters and plot-devices, this book is very well written with a satisfying ending, and lots of runaway-train horror along the way. If you can stomach It's crassness, this makes for a five-star read.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best of stephen king, June 21 2013
This review is from: It (Hardcover)
creepy, interesting and not able to put the book down
if you like horror, it is the book to read

4.0 out of 5 stars The Deadlights vs Space Spiders, April 20 2000
This review is from: It (Mass Market Paperback)
OK, this is my favourite Stephen King book and contrary to many people I like the ending. I loved characters such as Ben and Beverly. There are sections of this novel that are complete in themsleves that I read over and over again.
My favourite sections is The Ritual of Chuud and this is where the children discover the true nature of IT. In my opinion Pennywise the Dancing Clown is one of the most imaginative villians ever conceived in fantasy and horror fiction. I think that this character was strongly influenced by H.P Lovecraft cosmic terrors.
Let me say this if I may, those who claim that Pennywise is a SPACE SPIDER have not comprehended the novel. I'd suggest that readers pay careful attention to Chapters 21 (Under the City) and 22 (The Ritual Chuud) to make up their own minds about what It really is. There are two statements in these chapters which demonstrate clearly that IT is not a space spider.
I hope you enjoy this book as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as The (Unabridged) Stand, Oct. 17 2001
This review is from: It (Mass Market Paperback)
Before I say why I love this book so much, a helpful suggestion. Please, if you want to appreciate King's more marketable stories, please read the Dark Tower series. I don't think that I'm giving away anything here, but the sequence in "It" that deals with 'turtles' (those of you who have read the Dark Tower know why I'd focus on this) will take on much more meaning. On to the review. I think that people have a misconception about what makes for effective horror writing. You have to care about the characters for horror to be effective. Otherwise, it's not horror, it's comedy. Think about it: in the span of a few short pages, King makes Georgie a character we care about--that's why you really feel it in the pit of your stomach when Georgie's encounter with Pennywise reaches its conclusion. This book is about normal kids and adults (who happen to be incredibly well-developed characters) finding themselves in extraordinary circumstances..That's why "It" is so effective. Minor complaint: Richie does not ring true as an adult or a child. He's the only character that is not believable..fortuneately, even though he has a tremendous amount of dialogue, he's really not important to the story..he's there for comic relief. Finally, by all means avoid the mini-series. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone who has read the book can stomach it.

5.0 out of 5 stars His Best Ever, Dec 14 2001
Michael Harrison "booklover 106" (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It (Mass Market Paperback)
"The King of Horror" produced his finest tale when he wrote IT. Impressively long at 1000+ pages, King takes his readers on a thrilling joyride back to the wonders and terrors of childhood. Like no other living author, King remembers what childhood consisted of and has the uncanny ability to recall it for us in all its intensity of conflicting emotions.
The plot of this novel is straightforward. Set in 1958, 7 children must face down an almost supernatural evil which they come to call IT. Able to take on the aspect of each person's worst fear, IT mostly sleeps only to awake every 26 or 27 years to feed on the children of Derry. After a series of adventures, the children battle IT to a draw. 27 years later, as adults, they are recalled to Derry to once again do battle with IT's ancient evil.
King interweaves the events of the present day with those of 1958. His characters ring completely true, although they are more vibrant as children than as adults. The various subplots and adventures experienced by the children (the apocalyptic rockfight, dam-building, movie-going, Silver, to name a few) enhance the verisimilitude of the story.
I must caution you on two things. 1st, there is a sex scene late in the book that many will find offensive. While integral to the plot, King could have developed a less viscerally offensive avenue for his characters' escape. It is King in his "if I can't get terror, I'll take horror, and if I can't get that I'll go for the gross-out" mode. 2nd, I am one who equates the name of Stephen King with the term "finest living author". His work, while at times crude, even gross, has the depth and vibrancy of the best of Dickens. No stylist he, but a storyteller without peer with an uncanny ability to delineate character with a few sentences. This is his finest work. Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever, July 14 2011
This review is from: It (Paperback)
Reading this book recently for a second time it really changed the way that I view a lot in my life. My childhood friends all of a sudden meant more to me then life itself. Stephen King brings you into Derry, Maine in this perfectly written tale of the horrors of growing up. This is hands down the greatest piece of literature I've ever read, every single person who enjoys reading books NEEDS to read this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Nobody likes a clown at midnight.", Jan. 6 2011
Jeffrey Swystun (Toronto & Mont Tremblant) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: It (Paperback)
The title of my review is an actual Stephen King quote and it is amazing in its simplicity and imagery. This review is based on my recent re-read of "It" which I first read when it came out and once in the 90's. It holds some nostalgia for me much like the main characters who King has bounce between 1957-58 and 1984-85 in their twice epic battle with a powerful life-form. This daunting entity preys on an individual's personal fear allowing King to provide a rich tableau of horrible characters and situations. Like most of his novels, King pits good versus evil with a few pawns between these forces.

The premise of "It" going through a cycle of hibernation then awakening for mayhem and killing every 25-30 years was highly original at the time. And my favorite part of the book is King's coverage of the carnage in previous cycles dating first back to 1740-1743 when "It" is credited with the disappearance of over three hundred settlers from Derry Township, analogous to Roanoke Island. My father was fond of saying that every town, regardless of size, holds all the vices of a large citiy. The town of Derry holds that and more - it has "It".

One final comment, I believe that King's contribution to literature will be one of the must debated of all time. And he, himself, will have a voice in the debate based on his own quotes such as, "I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!!!!, June 26 2006
Sophie (Montreal,QC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It (School & Library Binding)
I'm a big fan of Stephens King and I love the majority of the books that he writes but It is the best story that he wrote in my opinion. The history is well written.You can easily believe that you are in the skin of the characters. You must read the book before watching the movie because you will understand nothing from this film.Even the book is complicated because the chapters pass from the future to the past.

It
It by Stephen King (MP3 CD - May 1 2010)
CDN$ 64.34 CDN$ 63.85