5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Read
Published on March 16 2012 by fakemoez

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly penned by an unrepentant criminal
I've been into computers as long has Mr Mitnick has I find his story self-interested, unrepentant, and poorly written for a 40-something who took a college course in 'Writing'. The fact that Mitnick consistently points out flaws with others, all the while praising (even celebrating) his own cleverness as he breaks laws leads me to conclude that he's a narcissistic...
Published on Oct. 24 2011 by CDNRider

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Read, March 16 2012
What surprised me most about this book was the extent of social engineering employed by Kevin. You can definitely tell he was no slouch when it came to technical or "hacking" abilities; but all this was largely overshadowed by his ability to convince people to simply hand over access. I found myself constantly disrupting my wife to share several examples of this. Read this book to really, truly, understand what makes a hacker successful ... you!

5.0 out of 5 stars 1337, Feb. 16 2013
A grand adventure into the past of Kevin Mitnick. Filled with crazy cool info and interesting facts. Having worked in the telcos myself this was an eye opener of what can be done for something do simple. The book was filled with knowledge and humour the likes all computer phreaks would get. 5 star all the way

5.0 out of 5 stars On the edge of my seat!, July 15 2012
Let me start by saying that I don't read a whole lot of books, but when I started reading "Ghost in the Wires" I literally could not put it down! I finished it in two days. If you are looking for an uber geek book that you would swear was written by Hollywood screen writers then this is the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Jan. 15 2012
This book gives an interesting account of the life of Kevin Mitnick from his early years of phone phreaking to his later years as a sophisticated computer hacker. Anyone who has solved puzzles will understand the joy Kevin speaks of as he cracks each new problem. Nice addition to each chapter with a small encrypted puzzle for the reader as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fearing the Phreaker, Sept. 6 2011
This review is from: Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker (Audio CD)
I listened to this off I-Tunes. I found it very interesting even though I'm not a computer programmer/hacker/phone phreaker. I can't believe how long Kevin was left in prison without a trial!
The fear that abounded in that time over Hackers was eye opening. As was the pull Kevin had to continue hacking and using social engineering skills even when it often brought him grief. Very interesting to put yourself in the shoes of the "Dark Side" Hacker and find out he's just a very smart, curious and mischievous guy who got on the wrong side of powerful/ignorant people.
Great Book, Thanks Kevin for freeing your story.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the more exciting reads in a long time, Dec 24 2012
I confess I am one of the three people on earth who hasn't heard of Kevin Mitnick before I read this book. It was seriously one of the most fast-paced, interesting and exciting reads I've found in a long long time. It's a better action story than anything I've read in fiction. I found myself staying up way too late at night so I could squeeze in some extra pages. I ignored my friends. I didn't leave the house. It was that suspenseful. It's one of those books I wish I could read again for the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-Fiction That Reads Like a Thriller, Dec 15 2011
This is a really entertaining piece of IT history that kept me turning pages like a thriller. It doesn't gloss over the events or paint Miknick as a hero. There are a lot of things to keep IT people interested and informed while being entertaining to everybody. From social engineering, technical curiosity and identity theft to the horrors of power abuse in uninformed authority the book is fairly comprehensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, Nov. 30 2011
From the beginning until the end it was a book I didn't want to put down. I was semi-familiar with the Kevin Mitnick story beforehand and had interest in learning more. I'm glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, feels like your in the middle of it all, Nov. 27 2011
I know it sounds cliche but once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. As you read the book and Kevin recalls his adventures you feel as if you are there with him looking over his shoulder as he's typing away. This book brings to light many security issues that have plagued big companies. As well the injustice that can happen when the media blows things out of proportion. This is easy to read for the laymen no technical knowledge required.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read!, Nov. 14 2011
Gives great insight into social engineering, as well as to the development of hacking and hacker culture. As a bit more of a technical reader, I found the book giving excellent descriptions into the build up of the telecoms, as well as how security evolved to fight hackers (who were usually a step ahead, especially in Mitnick's case!).

ARRAY(0xac779120)

Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker
Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker by William L. Simon (Audio CD - Aug. 15 2011)
CDN$ 39.28 CDN$ 24.71