summer boutiques-francophones snsflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 24, 2016
This Dawkins book is a delight to read and stimulates the brain with complex theories explained in simple terms. A nice buy.
on May 18, 2016
Great book
on May 4, 2016
My dad really appreciated getting this as a gift. He loves this author
on March 27, 2016
Buyer Beware!!!!! None of those good illustrations relating to the text in this paperback version... What's the point... Returned!

Look for a used older copy that does have them!
on January 17, 2016
Caution: This is not a fully illustrated edition. The text is great but I was disappointed that it did not have all of the illustrations that were in an earlier edition. I highly recommend the book for young people but the version with all the illustration is much more appealing.
on January 4, 2016
A truly magical book about our reality. Dawkins explains the science of our world in simple yet detailed ways, while also telling us how our ancestors explained these same questions with ancient stories and myths. The illustrated version is truly beautiful (I recommend it) as Dave McKean's artwork tells a story right along with the one Dawkins is telling.
An excellent book for someone who might have some questions about our world, a student interested in science, or someone who has studied the sciences (like myself). I even gave a copy to my 16 year old godson and he started reading it right away. I don't think anyone who reads this book (the illustrated version) will be disappointed.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 13, 2015
Review courtesy of www.subtleillumination.com

There are some amazing things in nature, things we typically take for granted: rainbows, the seasons, earthquakes, matter itself. Dawkins doesn’t take them for granted, and in his new book, he aims to explain them in as simple a manner as possible, taking joy in the wonder of nature.

That joy in nature comes through clearly, as it often does in Dawkins’ writings. Though The Magic of Reality isn’t labeled as such, it’s mostly a science primer: if you have any science background, you’ll know much of what he says already. That said, it spans enough of areas of science almost any reader will still learn some things, and it could make a good gift for a precocious child interested in science.

From why we have rainbows and earthquakes to how we evolved and why there are so many different kinds of animals, Dawkins takes on a whole range of questions. His older works glory in nature, and invite the reader to share in his passion for it: his love of science illuminates his writings. His more recent work, however, has tended towards the bitter – I would speculate that his love for the natural world calcified into a hatred for religion. The Magic of Reality is an attempt to return to his earlier method, with some success: his joy in science is back, but he still can’t resist the occasional jab at religion. Still, it’s much better.

Not a must read, and I’d probably rather read his early books first, but still well worth it, and The Magic of Reality could also make a good Christmas gift.
on November 25, 2015
what a great educational book. everything made all the new knowledge interesting to me, especially the astrological parts.It sort of explained why Ilnow some things and why some things that I don't know are made up for in my imagination. I believe the things that I know to be true. the things I don't know are left to my imagination, but I also know that the stuff I don't know my not be true but just wishful wild guesses
on November 2, 2015
This book is far too simple for anyone who has graduated from high school. As an engineering student, I have learned very little from this, but would have possibly benefited when I was around 12. The tone of the writing is very condescending, so if you are an intelligent human being do not buy this book.
on October 17, 2015
The myths are alright but it felt like a grade 12 science review. Better off watching Cosmos. Would not buy.