4.0 out of 5 stars Highly worthwhile reading
Published on Feb. 20 2012 by Tom Harpur

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as all of the hype.
Published 21 months ago by Christine

2.0 out of 5 stars glad I got it from the library..., March 2 2013
A. Houston (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The End of Illness (Hardcover)
I saw this book at a bookstore, and thought it looked interesting. I requested it from our local library(surprisingly it only took a few days to become available) and gave it a read. I have read a lot of health and wellness books, and I found this book one of the more boring ones. The author owns a company that does genetic testing to study one's "proteomics", and highly advocates this as a method of determining what particular illness, condition, drug effectiveness or ineffectiveness, to which one might be susceptible. He is highly supportive of statins even for people without high cholesterol, as a way to reduce inflammation. He disses blenderized( and juiced) fruits and vegetables as a way of getting good nutrition, yet is careful not to step on the toes of big junk food, beef and dairy industries by putting even an iota of blame on these for the sorry state of our health. It seems there is a lot of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" when it comes to the "praise" on the back cover; all of those people have been favorably mentioned within the body of the book by the author.
The part of the book that was almost laughable, was in the first few chapters where he has a list of questions for the reader to answer in writing, then take in to one's physician to review with him point by point. Not gonna happen. At least in Canada, we live in a medical society that mostly adheres to the "one visit, one issue" rule.
All in all, I was not impressed by the book, although some of his info was interesting to me as an RN. I think for a regular lay person, this would be a very dry read with not much useful everyday information to be gained. I was glad I hadn't paid good money for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as all of the hype., Jan. 25 2013
Christine (Dartmouth, NS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The End of Illness (Hardcover)
Out of the many "health" books that I have read, I found myself bored with this book. I would often drift or skim pages looking for gems of wisdom. Don't get me wrong, science does not bore me. I have even read a fair chunk of the other books he recommends along the way. I just did not find this book to be overly revealing on any aspect. I may be too well aware of current health system. It might be eye-opening for some, I guess. Overall I found the book part auto-biographical, part-science journal article/review paper, part cancer book - even though he states in the beginning it is not another cancer book. I found it too heavily focused on cancer, and being a cancer survivor I was not interested in devoting more of my leisure time to reading about cancer. In a similar vein of books, I found The UltraMind Solution to be more revealing and directional.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly worthwhile reading, Feb. 20 2012
Tom Harpur "Author of The Pagan Christ" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The End of Illness (Hardcover)
Agus has good evidence from statistics from large clinical trials to support his claim that our widespread supplementing with vitamins can potentially have negative affects, interfering with the body's ability to control itself, since the body is always trying for homostasis and will heal itself it it can. Included is lots of interesting data on whether many major illnesses are caused from genetic or environmental sources.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting reading, Oct. 10 2013
This review is from: The End of Illness (Hardcover)
This is a very interesting concept of health.
Basically go back to basics and stop popping pills we do not need!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book to make you think a little differently, March 5 2012
Lucie (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The End of Illness (Audio CD)
This book (mine on CD) is a very interesting look at various aspects of how we deal with 'health' and 'illness'. Even if you will find some of the info surprising or would like to disagree, this is an eye opening book, well worth the time. The info is referenced to many studies and the overall perspective will make you think differently next time you visit your doctor or browse your grocery store. A great look at our health and medicine as a whole, as well, getting pointers for our daily living. Easy to understand, no big medical words to slow you down. I got through this in a few days while sitting in my car during the rush hour. A great way to make you think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it , read it , live longer and better!, Oct. 26 2014
Big Bill - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The End of Illness (Hardcover)
Written by a Doctor it contains great insight into many topics that your own Doctor might discuss with you if he only had the time.
A manual on how to keep yourself well , it will absolutely change you for the better.

4.0 out of 5 stars A smarter way to live, May 14 2014
This review is from: The End of Illness (Hardcover)
Doctor David Angus has written a brilliant book. He gives some intelligent and evidence based advice on how to approach your health. His advice is meant to keep you healthy, aware and accountable for your personal health. In the book he debunked a number of myths, for example, he explains the futility of taking multi-vitamins, the importance of statins, the absolute necessity of keeping moving and a lot more. At the end of each chapter Angus gives some health rules, an effective way to distill the advice given in every chapter. The concept of developing a partnership with your doctor was eye opening and some simple advice on how to maintain maximum health in your body is easily adaptable. Although David Angus in an Oncologist the book is not about cancer but a holistic look on how to maintain maximum personal health. Holistic to the extent where he has given advice about how to eat effectively, including what to eat, what not to eat, how to eat certain foods and how not to eat certain foods. This incredible book is a New York Times Bestseller and will change your paradigm on how you view good health. Before starting any diet or taking some fad advice read this book renowned and educate yourself for life.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm on board!, Dec 8 2013
millsy1971 (Mississauga, Canada) - See all my reviews
Very interesting perspective on living a healthy life. So much distraction and lack of concrete evidence in the field of medicine, disease and health that we forget how complex our bodies are and how it just reacts and heals itself. There is no "magic pill" and we need to take control of our health!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Information, July 2 2013
This review is from: The End of Illness (Paperback)
I was looking for information on whole health. This was provided. It is a good addition to my health library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could Put Doctors Out of Business, April 11 2013
I was fortunate enough to read this challenging book before my annual physical, copyied the questionaire and completed it. When I asked my physician if he had read it, he replied that he wouldn't read a book that could put him out of business.
Notwithstanding this reply, I was pleased that the tests he prescribed for me were all covered by Dr. Agus and he asked that I call him to discuss the results.
The book especially appealled to me because it made practical sense in directing me to consider my body's health as a system that could get out of sync. I am retired and able to eat, sleep and exercise at virtually the same time each day. As Dr. Agus suggests, I find this helpful.
I also find that his recommendation to keep moving an important part of maintaining my health. As it happens my doctor prescribes a satan and a low dose aspirn as well as a thyroid stimulant and nothing else; like Dr. Agus he believes there are side effects to most drugs. As a result of Dr. Agus's book, I have cut down on the supplements I take and limited my vitamin C to the winter months when I am getting less sunshine.
It is a great book that focusses the reader on his or her health in a practical and useful manner.

The End of Illness
The End of Illness by David B. Agus M.D. (Audio CD - Jan. 17 2012)
CDN$ 47.00 CDN$ 29.61