4.0 out of 5 stars A Synthesis of Activist Views on Grass Roots Change
"Mercy and truth have met together;
Righteousness and peace have kissed." -- Psalm 85:10

One of my favorite sayings is that "the best help is self-help." That's one of the major themes of this book.

Published on Oct. 12 2009 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought 'used' but was New condition! (I see a good trend)
Haven't read it yet. Will have to come back and leave a proper review. At glance though - I am happiest reading Foucault or Slavoj Zizek. Stay tuned for a review... I am just writing because this requires 20 words...
Published on May 23 2012 by Chanta

4.0 out of 5 stars A Synthesis of Activist Views on Grass Roots Change, Oct. 12 2009
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
"Mercy and truth have met together;
Righteousness and peace have kissed." -- Psalm 85:10

I came to the book as someone who favors finding solutions that delight all those affected and as a fan of Peter Block's classic book, Flawless Consulting. I wasn't prepared for what I found in the first few chapters of Community: A dense summary of the views of other authors that feature their jargon and concepts. It was heavy going. I almost gave up before the book's message began to yield to Peter Block's views as exemplified by some examples from the Cincinnati area.

This book could have been told in a much more direct, simple, and easier-to-understand way. I found myself mentally translating the concepts back into ordinary English to grasp the major points.

As a result, the book comes across as almost like a simplified dissertation, not the kind of work that you may be expecting. One of the limits of tipping one's cap as an author to so many other writers is that you are limited in how much you can advance the argument into new territory without doing some new homework.

There's lots of good advice in the book so I do hope you will persevere. If our communities are to become stronger and more nurturing for all, we need to get past arguing about philosophies while nothing gets done. This book can be a helpful contribution to such progress if people read and apply its vision and structural recommendations.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought 'used' but was New condition! (I see a good trend), May 23 2012

Community: The Structure of Belonging (Easyread Large Edition)
Community: The Structure of Belonging (Easyread Large Edition) by Peter Block (Paperback - Feb. 20 2009)
CDN$ 33.84