5.0 out of 5 stars The Imposter Bride
Published on May 18 2012 by Canadian Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars heavy
Even though this story was well-written, I found that overall it was rather gloomy. The storyline was intriguing in some ways. A mystery usually is. However, by the time I'd finished the book, I realized that it left me with an "ashes in the mouth" feeling. Some people might like this kind of novel, but I won't recommend it.
Published 6 months ago by George Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars The Imposter Bride, May 18 2012
This review is from: The Imposter Bride: A Novel (Hardcover)
This is the engrossing and highly readable story of "Lily Azerov" who has fled Eastern Europe after the turmoil and horror of the Second World War. In Palestine, she makes arrangements to marry a Canadian Jew, Sol Kramer. Sol, however, detects something not quite right beneath Lily's calm exterior. He decides not to marry her, but his brother Nathan does. However, all does not proceed smoothly: some of the actual Lily's Canadian relatives show up at the wedding and realize that this woman is impersonating their cousin. The imposter bride appears to have assumed Lily's identity in an attempt to escape the trauma and horror of her war experience. Not long after, the young wife, apparently fearing exposure by the true Lily's cousin, Ida, flees Montreal, her marriage, and her three-month old child, not knowing that Ida has her own painful past and no intention of calling this damaged young woman on her assumed identity.

The book largely focuses on the growing determination of Lily's daughter Ruth, who has grown up motherless, to find her mother and uncover the secret of her past. All she has to go on are the beautiful rocks her mother has sent her at irregular intervals over the years since Ruth was six, an uncut diamond, and Lily Azerov's journal, which was appropriated by the "imposter bride" somewhere along the way.

Author Richler has woven a richly rewarding novel of character,family, secrets, and history. In the Imposter Bride, she explores the deeply and uniquely human need to discover where we come from. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling and touching story, Sept. 13 2012
sean s. (montreal) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Imposter Bride: A Novel (Hardcover)
Nancy Richler is a writer based in Montreal, and The Imposter Bride is the story of a young woman, Lily Azerov, who flees to Montreal from a devastated postwar Europe. Canada is not yet accepting Jewish refugees, so Lily immigrates on the pretext that she is engaged to be married to a Canadian. Sol has agreed to marry her, sight unseen, for a fee. However:

"When he saw the bride, he recoiled. Damaged goods. That's what he saw. A broken life, a frightened woman, a marriage that would bind him - however briefly - to grief. Let someone else marry her, he decided on the spot. He would never deny the widows and the orphans of the world. But neither, it turned out, did he want to have to marry them."

Lily is not what he had expected, so he leaves her high and dry. Fortunately his brother Nathan Kramer decides to marry her on the spot. But, it turns out that:

"Lily Azerov Kramer. She was not who she said she was.

No one really is, I suppose, but Lily's deception was more literal than most. Her name before... she'd left it there, in that beaten village where the first Lily had died, freeing, among other things, an identity card to replace the one she'd discarded, an identity that could propel a future if someone would just step into it.

Someone would, of course. The village was in Poland, 1944. Nothing went unused."

Lily has a child with Nathan, but with no explanation, suddenly disappears.

As she ages, Ruth, their daughter, is driven to understand the truth about her mother, about where she went, and where she came from.

A compelling and touching story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, April 30 2012
This review is from: The Imposter Bride: A Novel (Hardcover)
Nancy Richler's new book is well-written and full of interesting events and details. I had tears in my eyes when I finished reading it. I found the characters well defined and yet quite familiar. The plot evoked my sympathies and I could not put it down. The historical setting made it even more meaningful, for me,at least.I am going to read it again because I enjoyed it so much. Definitely recommended for all readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, no easy answers, May 20 2012
W. Tovey (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Imposter Bride: A Novel (Hardcover)
This novel examines such an interesting idea: a woman assumes another person's identity in order to avoid persecution, and finds without her own name she is unable to be anybody at all. Like Richler's other novels, you just can't put this book down. Every character is so well-drawn, every situation is so rich with ambiguity, and the questions it asks are so important. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Imposter Bride, April 13 2013
Renald Ayotte (Cornwall, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imposter Bride (Paperback)
What a great book, started reading and couldn't let it go. Near the end I slowed down my reading because I didn't want to finish it. This is one story that will always be with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasic, Dec 2 2012
J. Fournier "history lover" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imposter Bride (Paperback)
A wonderful book that I read in a weekend spent indoors with a cold. Great female characters and a great sense of time and place in Montreal. Every page reveals another layer of the mystery at the heart of the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thought provoking, Nov. 22 2012
reuben poupko (cote st. luc, quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imposter Bride (Paperback)
Like a previous reviewer, I had tears in my eyes when I finished this novel. The relationships created by the author are so descriptive and haunting at the same time. An interesting viewpoint of a W.W.II tragedy. I highly recommend this novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, April 1 2013
I found I faded in and out of interest in this novel, although more near the start. I would find an intriguing part, but soon after I felt bogged down by the slow but descriptive missives of daily life. However, in the end that time spent was good character development and gave a solid feeling of knowing the people involved.

3.0 out of 5 stars heavy, Jan. 31 2014
George Jones - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure, Nov. 18 2013
Darlene Jones (Vancouver Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm not quite sure what to say about this novel. I liked it and I certainly wanted to finish it and yet I was frustrated with it and I'm not sure I can explain why. Perhaps it was Ruth's lack of initiative in trying to find her mother. It seemed to me she should have pushed more. Perhaps it was her family's lack of communication with her about her mother. Perhaps it was the stones her mother sent her -- why a mother who abandoned her child would choose to send stones is a mystery. Perhaps it was the ending which I won't say more about so as not to give any spoilers. Despite my frustrations with the story, I'm glad I read the book.

The Imposter Bride: A Novel
The Imposter Bride: A Novel by Nancy Richler (Hardcover - March 20 2012)
CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 18.80