5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from beginning to end
First let me say that this book is nothing like Fifty First Dates; the main point being that this is a thriller not a comedy. If you were to compare it to a movie, Momento would be a better choice. Yes, it's another story involving amnesia but it's good.

Published on June 17 2011 by Slomacs

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...but....
Published on Nov. 8 2011 by M. LeB

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from beginning to end, June 17 2011
Ce commentaire est de: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)

I read this book in one sitting. The premise is rather simple but the way the story unfolds is completely captivating: a woman wakes up each day unable to remember anything that's happened in the last 20 or so years. The story is her journal as she pieces together her life and dark secrets are slowly revealed. This is a gripping, entertaining and unputdownable thriller and should be the big summer blockbuster this year!!

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't sleep 'til you finish it!, June 20 2011
Luanne Ollivier - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
You might have heard about Before I Go To Sleep - the debut novel of S. J. Watson. You might have heard that it's an addicting, incredibly well crafted, finely honed suspenseful tale that will leave you turning pages long into the night.

Everything you've heard? All that and more! What an amazing debut! Rights have been sold in thirty countries already and the film rights are sold as well.

Christine wakes up early and finds herself in bed with a middle aged man. One she doesn't know and can't quite remember how she got there.

"Usually I can remember how I get into situations like this, but not today. There must have been a party, or a trip to a bar or a club. I must have been pretty wasted. Wasted enough that I don't remember anything at all. Wasted enough to have gone home with a man with a wedding ring and hairs on his back."

She creeps into the bathroom, but the hand that flushes the toilet looks wrong. And when she looks into the mirror, there's a middle aged woman looking back. That can't be her - she's twenty five, that woman is at least 45... And then the man wakes up and tells her who she is - his wife. His wife who had a bad accident that left her with head injuries and severe amnesia. She literally cannot remember anything from day to day.

"You've had amnesia for a long time. You can't retain new memories, so you 've forgotten much of what happened to you for your entire adult life. Every day you wake up as if you are a young woman. Some days you wake as if you are a child."

Ben her husband goes off to work. The phone rings and she answers it - it's a man who says he is a doctor treating her and tells her to look in her closet for her journal. And along with Christine, we read what she remembers. Until she goes to sleep and forgets it all again.....

Can you just imagine waking up with no memory and reading a journal you've written with what you've learned or remembered about yourself? Every day. As we get further and further into her journal everyday, the questions arise - should Christine trust the doctor - or her husband?

S. J. Watson has done a phenomonal job at intensifying the suspense and building on it in subtle layers. I was reminded of classic Alfred Hitchcock films. The ratcheting tension is thoroughly delicious. The cover art is great too, with the fogged mirror and the woman peering through. Loved it, loved it, loved it!!

Be warned - you won't be getting too much shut eye yourself until you turn the last page of Before I Go To Sleep.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...but...., Nov. 8 2011
Ce commentaire est de: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This book was beautifully written. It was quite interesting to read about amnesia and how it affects the lives of the victim and his/her family. I thought the book dragged on quite a bit however, I was waiting for something to happen, and had to wait until the very end. However, SJ Watson still kept readers somewhat interested with little hints here and there of what was to come, and then toward the end, baffled us with a twist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could Be A TOP Book of 2011...Don't Miss It!!!, Aug. 23 2011
Louise Jolly "Bookaholic" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Ce commentaire est de: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This is the first book I've read on my brand new KOBO e-reader and what a book it was!!! The mystery and suspense kept me turning page after page. The further the story went along, the faster I read and the quicker I turned the pages. This could very well be one of the TOP books for 2011.

The writing is flawless, the characters well-developed, and the story will just absolutely blow you out of the water.

I felt so bad for Christine. Imagine waking up every single morning and not knowing where you were, who the man in bed beside you was, what you were doing there etc. To have to be told anew at the beginning of each day and then lose it all again once sleep comes would be devastating at best. The ending was incredible and one I didn't expect.

This is one book that I will highly, highly recommend to EVERYONE!!! Excellent and very, very well done novel!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down, Sept. 20 2011
Jessica Strider (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Pros: sympathetic protagonist, good pacing, tension builds to a strong climax

Cons: some plot twists are predictable

Every morning Christine Lucas wakes up next to a stranger: her husband, Ben. An accident has robbed her of the ability to remember the past 20 years and to retain new memories.

She quickly discovers she has been keeping secrets from Ben, in the form of Dr. Nash, a doctor trying to help her regain her memories and a diary she's been keeping for the past few weeks. A diary that has, 'DON'T TRUST BEN', scratched into the front page.

This was a quick read that pulls you in from page one. The plight of a woman who has no idea who she is, who learns things each day and then forgets everything, is gut-wrenching.

Ben is alternately a sympathetic and sinister character. Christine discovers he lies to her, but isn't sure if it's to keep her from feeling grief over the events of the past or for another purpose.

I was able to guess a few things that would happen, but the climax was strong and contained a few twists I didn't predict.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read. You won't be able to put it down!, Nov. 10 2012
L. Brown (New Westminster, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
A well written, exciting book by S.J. Watson. Written so that you felt like you were Christine, experiencing each day as she does. Sure, about 3/4 of the way through you can see what's coming...so what? It's still exciting, still worth the read. Will read it again I'm sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read!!, Sept. 11 2012
Clare Friesen (Whistler, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Could not put this book down! Was hooked on the first page. Extremely well written and absorbing. Had to find out what happens in the end! Very entertaining.

4.0 out of 5 stars Despite the bad reviews... I loved this book, July 11 2012
Ce commentaire est de: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I sort of understand the bad reviews on this book, but I still loved the story. There could have been more supporting character development but even still I could not put the book down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, June 18 2012
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Very good book, finished it in 3 days. Couldn't recommend this book enough, best thing I've read in quite awhile.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, April 12 2012
Clarissa (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
The writing is pedestrian and consists almost entirely of dialogue. There is so little description of houses or people that you can't even imagine them. You develop no interest in the main character and so don't really care if she lives or dies. It's a drab little mystery novel that was published because they thought they could sell it. And they did.
But this is a thriller at the absolute lowest most inept level. God, it was boring.

ARRAY(0xad0e39c0)

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep by S Watson (Paperback - June 6 2011)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.87