5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from beginning to end
First let me say that this book is nothing like Fifty First Dates; the main point being that this is a thriller not a comedy. If you were to compare it to a movie, Momento would be a better choice. Yes, it's another story involving amnesia but it's good.

I read this book in one sitting. The premise is rather simple but the way the story unfolds is completely...
Published on June 17 2011 by Slomacs

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...but....
This book was beautifully written. It was quite interesting to read about amnesia and how it affects the lives of the victim and his/her family. I thought the book dragged on quite a bit however, I was waiting for something to happen, and had to wait until the very end. However, SJ Watson still kept readers somewhat interested with little hints here and there of what was...
Published on Nov. 8 2011 by M. LeB

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An Unbelievably Great Read... Best Page-Turner I've Read!, March 20 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I am unable to write much because I am way too exhausted. Why? Because even though I have a baby and work a day job out of the home; I did not go to sleep until I after 3am because I was too intrigued, to enthralled by this book.
Each page sparks curiosity to quickly get to the next.... so much that I found myself sometimes skimming paragraphs to "find out" what would happen next.
Want a good page turner? Grab this book. But block a significant amount of time out for yourself. You won't put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Before I Go To Sleep, Nov. 23 2011
Roses (Saskatchewan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This was a page turner. And to believe this is what people really go through, who have lost their memories.
How we take our lives for granted. I loved this book. Never read anything like this before. I've loaned it to
two friends, and now it's finding it's way at Christmas to my daughter who lives I works in Hong Kong.
It will be past among her teacher friends as well. This is one book that will build it's own air miles.
I loved this book. So different.
Rose

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Debut Novel!!, Jan. 30 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This was an excellent book!!! I couldn't put it down, and actually finished it in a day and a half. I have never written a book review but felt compelled to after reading some of the other reviews. I do agree with some of the other readers that found the book a little repetitive at times, but in my opionion it worked well....the main character Christine does have amnesia after all. Great job S.J. Watson on your debut novel!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like mystery/suspense, read this book, Feb. 9 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I read this book in about 2 days, I just wanted to see it through. It was like a maze, everytime I thought I had it figured out, it would throw me another curve ball making me question if I was right. I did figure it out about half way through the book but felt compelled to see it through. Even though I figured it out, the ending made it all the lose ends come together.
If you like mystery/suspense then read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll never see the ending coming!, Feb. 3 2015
Jennifer Mclean "Artist" (Victoria, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This was an interesting thriller to say the least. The writer brings the reader along on a harrowing journey through the mind of an amnesiac. Christine Lucas was in an accident that left her with a tenuous connection to her past memories and an inability to form new ones. Written from Christine's point of view, we see what it would be like to never be able to remember what happened yesterday. When Christine sleeps she loses all of the days memories and when she wakes up in the morning she finds everything around her unfamiliar and confusing. She even doesn't recognize her own reflection in the mirror. When did she become old? When did she marry Ben, the man she wakes up to every morning?

The reader cannot help thinking about just how disorienting the experience would be and how harrowing it would feel not recognize your own house, husband and life every single morning you woke up. When our main character starts seeing Dr. Nash to help improve her memory, she doesn't tell her husband. Christine doesn't want to disappoint him with no progress and she wants to try to create something concrete for herself before sharing this new experience. When she starts writing down what happens every day and what her husband tells her of her life, she finds that there discrepancies between the two.

Real and intense moments for the reader are created by S.J. Watson as we are immersed into Christine's daily life. Every day, as she writes in her journal and discovers her history each morning by reading her writings, the reader hold their breath, wondering who is on Christine's side. Is her Doctor really helping her or is he using her for research? Is Christine's husband truly the good man he seems to be or is Christine in danger in her own house?

This book builds suspense and the reader has to really struggle to figure out how this story will end. It's a great ride, a terrifically written exploration of how memory works and a thrilling mystery that ends with a spectacular ending that the reader never sees coming. You'll love this book, it's different and twisty. Watson is a wonderful writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Before I Go To Sleep, Oct. 23 2014
coccotoro - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
"Before I Go To Sleep" by S. J. Watson, is an amazing debut novel...a book I could not put down. This thriller, with it's suspense, twists and turns, as it moves towards the finish, is brilliant, and will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very last page. I recognize that it has got mixed reviews, but for me it was a gripping read.

Before I Go to Sleep tells the story of Christine Lucas, who is trying to piece back her life after suffering an accident that has caused her to have amnesia. Chrissy can remember everything that happens to her during the day but as soon as she goes into a deep sleep, her brain erases all her adult memory; resulting in Christine waking up next to a stranger-her husband Ben? She can't retain new memories, so her entire adult life is blank, but her early childhood memories are unaffected. The man she wakes up next to tells her he is her husband, Ben, they have been married for 22 years, they are very happy, and very in love. She wakes thinking she is young, and gets a terrible shock when she looks in the mirror, and sees her wrinkles.

Christine receives a phone call from a Dr. Nash, a neuropsychologist, who has been following her case, and thinks he can help her...but she doesn't know him! Dr. Nash gives Christine her journal, where she had recorded her daily activities for the last few weeks...and so the story evolves and she both reads and writes in the journal on a daily basis, in order to stir up some memories. But Ben doesn't know that his wife is seeing Dr. Nash and keeping a journal. So many lies and secrets are soon revealed...Who can she trust?

And some memories are better off without!

This novel is written in the first POV, and the reader is right with Christine as she discovers the truth. Christine write in her journal trying to piece together, everything she has missed in her life... and she comes to realise that her life is a lot different that she thinks it is. My heart went out to her, having to live this kind of existence!

I was very impressed with this well written novel, and can understand why it was made into a movie. This novel will appeal to a wide audience of readers. Don't miss out on this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bestseller That Is Well Worth Reading, Oct. 8 2014
BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP by S.J. Watson has been made into a movie which stars Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth and the book is an International Bestseller.

Before I decide whether or not to go see the movie, I thought I would read the book to see if it lives up to the hype.

Imagine losing your memory every time you go to sleep. (Think of Adam Sandler & Drew Barrymore in 50 First Dates for a comedic take on this situation.)
However, seriously speaking, it would be horrible to wake up every morning with no memories. Just the thought of this makes me shudder and cringe. Basically, people could tell you anything and you would have to believe them. But, with no memories, who do you trust? Are they telling you the truth?

Christine wakes up in a strange bed with a man who appears to be much older than her. She is in her late twenties and thinks she must have blacked out the previous night from too much drinking. When she looks again at the man beside her, she notices he is wearing a wedding ring. She is horrified that she has blacked out a one night stand with a man who is not only much older than her, but is also married.

She stumbles to the bathroom and sees her reflection in the mirror. She is terrified. The face looking back at her is not familiar at all. It is the face of someone at least twenty years older than herself. She also notices that she is wearing a wedding ring.

She then notices pictures taped to the bathroom mirror. They are pictures of her and the man in the bed. There are captions with the pictures and they show a progression of years with herself aging before her eyes. The picture of the man is labelled "Your Husband - Ben".

He informs her that she had an accident at the age of 29 and sustained head injuries that cause her to have severe memory problems. She is scared and confused and Ben assures her that he will always take care of her.

She starts to keep a secret diary and adds facts each day. What she discovers is a life filled with tragedy and secrets. She has written DON'T TRUST BEN inside the cover of the diary. Why did she write it? Why is Ben lying to her? What isn't he telling her?

The reveal is terrific and readers will be kept on the edge of their seats in anticipation.

A great read - although it is repetitive, but, so is her life. She has to relearn everything every day. The author does a great job of portraying her confusion and frustration.

I rate this as 4 out of 5 stars. It is definitely worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just be aware., May 1 2013
"Before I Go to Sleep," by S.J. Watson - first of all, I am in the middle of this novel, and am not finished yet. I will write a full review then. I just want to mention a few notes to prospective readers:

Almost everything on this review board is true about this novel. The writing is "pedestrian." The characters are not well-developed. The author does drag on, over-explain, and repeat himself. This is not really a thriller, in the conventional sense, it is more of an aggravating mystery...you want to know what is going on, but you do not really care. It is more of a page-turner because your own brain is trying to figure it out, not because you hope the main character, Christine, will be alright.

This is not an epic, life-changing novel; it is simply a summer-read, a pass-time.

Lastly, I find important to mention that there are sex-scenes in this novel that seem completely random or irrelavent. They simply jump off the page at you and arrest the reading-experience. They are haphazardly inserted into the story, and rather unnecessary. The descritions of sexual activity and appearance of men's (naked) bodies seems very elementary. It does not feel like a woman (main character) would describe it this way.

Just to be aware if you are thinking of reading/purchasing, that there are these random sex-scenes early on in the story, and so far, throughout.

Happy Reading!

4.0 out of 5 stars "WHAT ARE WE IF NOT AN ACCUMULATION OF OUR MEMORIES?", Nov. 23 2011
Buggy "SUNNIE Day reader" (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Really, really enjoyed this one even though suspense/thrillers aren't my usual genre. The premise here reminds me of the movie 50 First Dates -girl wakes up each morning with no memories of the previous day(s) and essentially relives each new day as her first, being told about her accident and looking at photographs of her missing life. This isn't a comedy though. The story here is dark and mysterious, with an impending sense of everyone/everything is not as it seems. As the reader you have the task of trying to figure it out who the bad guy is, who's lying to Christine and why. I didn't figure that out or see the big twist coming until I was right on top of it, so this was a super fun read for me.

At times the story does get repetitive because we're continually in Christine's head, being retold or reading and relearning everything from her journal over and over again. By the same token the first person narrative also got to be a bit much but really this couldn't have been written any other way.

We begin with Christine waking up in a stranger's bed. She can't remember how she got there but her twenty-something self tells her that she must have hooked up with the man at a party. Christine is not hung over though and soon learns that she's no longer in twenties either but from the same decade as the middle aged man washing up in the bathroom. And now he's telling her that he's her husband Ben, and that she suffered a devastating injury resulting in a rare form of amnesia, leaving her unable to retain memories from one day to the next.

Left alone Christine begins to putter about the house, what does she do all day anyways? Does it matter? She soon receives a phone call from a man claiming to be her Doctor; he explains that she has been keeping a journal and where it is hidden. It is through this journal that Christine begins to piece her life back together, forming a fragmented picture from those she is supposed to trust. But not everything adds up and as the days go by and the journal entries get longer Christine realizes that she is receiving two different versions of her life from her Doctor and her husband.

Relying completely on the journal Christine begins testing her husband and finally doubting herself as confusing memories return. Are they real? When the last day's journal entry reads "Don't trust Ben" who will she turn to? What is the truth?

I found this scary and sad in the sense that Christine has lost 20 years of her life. Imagine being in college and waking up at 45! Repeating the same day over and over, not knowing what is real, just relying on those you think you can trust. Realizing that you've probably been having the same conversations, asking the same questions and being told the same horrible truths (lies) every day.

This was a great read, it's not perfect but made me stop and think. It has also been optioned for film by Ridley Scott's production company. And I think it will make a fantastic movie

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining read, Jan. 11 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the book, it is told in a very intriguing way- which created a thrilling anticipation to the climax of the story. I must have read the book cover to cover in a couple of days, as I really couldn't put it down! I would definitely recommend it to fellow amazonians, although because of its mystery/thriller nature it's not really a repeat read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson (Paperback - June 6 2011)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.87