5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from beginning to end
First let me say that this book is nothing like Fifty First Dates; the main point being that this is a thriller not a comedy. If you were to compare it to a movie, Momento would be a better choice. Yes, it's another story involving amnesia but it's good.

I read this book in one sitting. The premise is rather simple but the way the story unfolds is completely...
Published on June 17 2011 by Slomacs

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...but....
This book was beautifully written. It was quite interesting to read about amnesia and how it affects the lives of the victim and his/her family. I thought the book dragged on quite a bit however, I was waiting for something to happen, and had to wait until the very end. However, SJ Watson still kept readers somewhat interested with little hints here and there of what was...
Published on Nov. 8 2011 by M. LeB

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 410 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what is all the hype about?, Feb. 3 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Why read the same thing over and over again only to get to a predictable ending?? Not good. I was very dissapointed after all the good reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars Before the author puts me to sleep, March 14 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This book stinks. A reasonably good story line is buried under tons of sloppy research and stilted writing. The female voice is unconvincing. The author has done too little research on amnesia which he then attempts to mitigate by forcing the psychiatrist to tell us that this case is really unusual. The only unusual thing about the story is that this book is on a bestseller list.

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawner, Jan. 31 2012
Maureen Williams (New Brunswick Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
The synopsis nothing short of brilliant but when you take away the overly flowery prose you are left reading quite a few journal entries that change very little from day to day. The book dragged on and on and on, especially after I had guessed the ending halfway through. This book would have made a fantastic short story or novella.

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete waste of time... With an ending fit for scooby-doo..., Feb. 8 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I have never been so disappointed in a book. Drawn in by the accolades on the cover, and a huge fan of neurologically damaged characters I thought I'd enjoy the subject matter. How wrong I was. Literally three quarters of the book was dedicated to the description and constant, endless reinforcement of the main character's plight, full of holes as she writes (as only a writer can) what we are supposed to believe is the ramblings of a confused amnesiac. When you're ready to throw the book across the room there's a teaser of an ending and the hope that maybe, just maybe it's not going to end as predictably as you have convinced yourself it would do... And lo and behold, it does. In a hurry. With all the excitement of a wet Wednesday. Sorry, but I won't be making a dash for novel number two...

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong description, Sept. 25 2011
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
The blurbs at the back of the book describe it as being 'thrilling' and 'suspenseful'. There is not the least trace of either quality in this book. In its own way, it is quite a nice book, but it would be better described as a sentimental/romantic/100% women's book, filled with a lot of emotions and tears. The plot itself is exceedingly simple, but the story is drawn out, leaving the reader feeling bored and impatient. A lot of the pages are given over to descriptions of domesticity and the daily grind of an urban housewife. Though I felt pity for the female protagonist, I felt no other connection to her. This novel would have been more successful as a short story.

5.0 out of 5 stars REMember, April 7 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This is an excellent, gripping, pshychological thriller that will keep you reading for 100s of pages at a time. Incredibly well worked out, and explained by the book's end. The book works. I suggest for thrillers like this you sit down and read it and not try and figure it out as you go. All that does is take the fun out of a book or film. It's been translated into 30 languages and soon to be a major film. Read the book first.

Any criticisms that a man can't write about a woman or vice versa always fall flat with me. Anyone with an imagination and the willingness to string words into good sentences should do so, ortherwise we would have a whole lot less of everything. As others have said it is Memento-like, and that to me a is a good thing, since Memento is a great movie. Check that out too sometime. Pleasant dreams.
Pmac

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, April 6 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Should get, great read, had fun reading it to my Mom, she enjoys it and so did I. not a fan of the font but whatever.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre...topic has been tackled before and better, March 29 2014
Rose (Saint John, NB, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I read this book because of a recommendation from a girl at work. It was apparently the best book she ever read. I absolutely HAD to read it. I would love it. If it wasn't for the ending, I wouldn't have liked this book at all.

It's about a woman who has the type of brain injury that prevents her from creating short-term memories. It's an interesting topic. I loved the movies 50 First Dates and Memento which both had the main character experiencing this phenomenon, one being light-hearted and the other extremely serious. However, it's one thing watching this and another to read about it. Not sadly, but confusingly and monotonously. The same details over and over as she starts each new day. Sometimes the details change, or her reaction to everything changed, and you had no idea what was really going on. Usually this is fun, like in Groundhog Day, but not so much here. It ended well...all was made clear, but it was a painful process to get there.

I wouldn't tell someone not to read it, it wasn't bad but in my opinion this would be a much better movie. Too bad it's been done before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, March 17 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Haven't finished it yet but so far I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation for what is coming up next. This book came highly recommended and I can't wait to also see the movie when it comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and suspenseful, Oct. 22 2013
This is a real page turner.
I couldn't put it down and Christine's story would haunt me during the day as I longed to escape back to my read. This story is a tale that sticks... It stays with you.
At first light, the story draws you into a world that seems new, and somewhat out of focus. Christine and Ben seem like the love stories we dream of. A man who stands by his woman day in and day out, battling through the pain of her not even knowing his name each morning. But the story quickly starts to form shadows where the reader has to ask if all is as it seems. The reader is tossed with Christine back and forth between light and darkness.
Can you predict it? Would you dare to predict the lines of this story? I truly doubt that your love for Christine will allow it. Read this book and see for yourself.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 410 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xba1f7ce4)

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep by S Watson (Paperback - June 6 2011)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.87