5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from beginning to end
First let me say that this book is nothing like Fifty First Dates; the main point being that this is a thriller not a comedy. If you were to compare it to a movie, Momento would be a better choice. Yes, it's another story involving amnesia but it's good.

I read this book in one sitting. The premise is rather simple but the way the story unfolds is completely...
Published on June 17 2011 by Slomacs

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...but....
This book was beautifully written. It was quite interesting to read about amnesia and how it affects the lives of the victim and his/her family. I thought the book dragged on quite a bit however, I was waiting for something to happen, and had to wait until the very end. However, SJ Watson still kept readers somewhat interested with little hints here and there of what was...
Published on Nov. 8 2011 by M. LeB

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 412 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Why I liked the book, June 14 2012
Cajetan Bouchard "Software Engineer Master St... (New-Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Before starting the review, I want to let you know that I seen the '50 first Dates' and 'The Vow' movies while I was reading the book. I can assure you that the book is not like those two movies.

Okay so where to begin. At first I felt like the title was really well chosen : Before 'I' go to Sleep. Like in other review, I had hard time to stay awake while reading the book (I even fell asleep on it once). But I would say the rhythm change a little bit in the second half of the book (around page 170). You can see the character evolve and you will start to love the book. Then in part 3, you will keep learning things until the end of the book. I have to confess that I guess the ending of the book a few pages before it was told. I will not tell more so I won't reveal any details of the book.

Would I recommend this ? Not to everyone. I would not qualify this as a Thriller, suspense nor action book. It's not even a psychological story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't start this book at night or you will be up late reading (seriously), April 18 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I haven't finished a book as quickly as I read "Before I go to sleep". Not every book, even really compelling mysteries, keep you flipping the pages compulsively, all the while thinking "I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!"

I had read some reviews which didn't seemed very thrilled, or complained that they figured it all out early on. Well, good for them. I relished every second of it (although I admit that I furiously tore through the last 100 pages pretty quickly over my lunch break at work--again, it's compulsive reading). The book enveloped me-- you become the character and her unease becomes your unease...her desire to uncover her past becomes your desire. The story-telling is fantastic, and Christine's voice is extremely well-developed.

As a fan of mystery novels, this book absolutely amazed me. It's creepy. It's good. I found the end satisfying. Read it read it read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut novel!, Nov. 16 2014
Yvonne "Karlee" (British Columbia, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
A surprisingly great novel that keeps you guessing at every turn. You know that something fishy is going on for most of the book, but you have a really hard time pinning it down until the end. I love this because as the main character has anterograde amnesia and the reason you can't figure out what is going on is because she is having such a challenging time figuring it out for herself. Because the main character, Christine, has anterograde amnesia, she can't form new memories. Each day is a brand new day for her (sort of 50 First Dates-esque) and Watson is able to keep it extremely realistic instead of being hokey. You really understand how challenging and frustrating life is for Christine (the main character) and empathize with her at every turn.
I just love a book where you're rooting for the main character and you're gripped until the very last page.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT IS LEFT WHEN YOU LOSE YOUR MEMORY?, Sept. 9 2011
Janet B (Montreal, Quebec, CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The story begins with Christine a 27 year old woman who wakes up one morning with a strange man by her side and in a strange bed. She believes that this strange man beside her must be a one-night-stand. She probably drank too much and can't remember.She then goes into the bathroom and looks in the mirror and finds an unfamiliar, middle-aged face peering at her. The man comes in and explains that he is her husband, Ben and that she is 47 years old and was in a terrible accident 20 years ago which left her with a head injury.

Ben is a school teacher and one day while at work, Christine receives an unusual call from a Dr. Nash, a neuropsychologist who claims to be interested in her case and has been working with her, leading her to keep a journal of her daily activities and thoughts. He lets her know that her husband is unaware of him, his calls and sessions with her She then hides her journal in the back of her closet and does not tell her husband. You wonder if Dr. Nash is sincerely interested in helping her regain her memory or part of it OR is he interested in furthering his career? She asks Ben what her life was like before the accident. Why did she and Ben not have any children? What did she work at before the accident? What Happened in that terrible accident that caused her loss of memory? Every day when she wakes up, she has no memory of what she had done the day before, until she reads her journal when Ben goes to work. She has flash backs and records every little thing and every activity. This continues until............................

This novel is paced very well and is believable. Every page holds your interest until the thriller ending. This novel has to be one of the best reads of 2011.

FELICITATIONS Mr. Watson for an outstanding debut novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars REMember, April 7 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This is an excellent, gripping, pshychological thriller that will keep you reading for 100s of pages at a time. Incredibly well worked out, and explained by the book's end. The book works. I suggest for thrillers like this you sit down and read it and not try and figure it out as you go. All that does is take the fun out of a book or film. It's been translated into 30 languages and soon to be a major film. Read the book first.

Any criticisms that a man can't write about a woman or vice versa always fall flat with me. Anyone with an imagination and the willingness to string words into good sentences should do so, ortherwise we would have a whole lot less of everything. As others have said it is Memento-like, and that to me a is a good thing, since Memento is a great movie. Check that out too sometime. Pleasant dreams.
Pmac

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspense at its best, April 12 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
We thoroughly enjoyed this read and it provided an excellent platform for great discussion. Some found a slow, repetitive start but as the story was unfolding it did not seem to go fast enough. We did have some unanswered questions and we are hoping for a sequel. We voted this as a thumbs up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read. You won't be able to put it down!, Nov. 10 2012
L. Brown (New Westminster, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
A well written, exciting book by S.J. Watson. Written so that you felt like you were Christine, experiencing each day as she does. Sure, about 3/4 of the way through you can see what's coming...so what? It's still exciting, still worth the read. Will read it again I'm sure.

1.0 out of 5 stars interest waned after the title, Dec 18 2014
This book sounded interesting and I stayed to the end. There just isn't enough in the premise to sustain suspense. Certainly not original as a notable film handled the whole amnesia idea far better. The ending felt rushed and contrived. Disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Curiosity keeps you wanting more, Feb. 16 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I'm one of those people who has to be in the mood to read or to push myself to pick up a book. I read this book in 2 days. I couldn't put it down!! It was so interesting and unlike anything I've read before!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting page turner, Jan. 14 2013
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Yes, it's missing some research and you do need to suspend your disbelief.
Parts of the ending are over-explained which is irritating, because we got it... though other parts of the ending are under explained, which is also irritating... but overall it was satisfying.

The bottom line though is that it's a very interesting concept; it keeps you engaged in the mystery as you work just as hard as she does to sort things out.

It's not edge of your seat or life changing, but a well-paced book that is an entertaining read.

I enjoyed this and will recommend it to friends.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 412 | Next ›

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep by S.j Watson (Paperback - June 6 2011)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.87