5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from beginning to end
First let me say that this book is nothing like Fifty First Dates; the main point being that this is a thriller not a comedy. If you were to compare it to a movie, Momento would be a better choice. Yes, it's another story involving amnesia but it's good.

I read this book in one sitting. The premise is rather simple but the way the story unfolds is completely...
Published on June 17 2011 by Slomacs

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...but....
This book was beautifully written. It was quite interesting to read about amnesia and how it affects the lives of the victim and his/her family. I thought the book dragged on quite a bit however, I was waiting for something to happen, and had to wait until the very end. However, SJ Watson still kept readers somewhat interested with little hints here and there of what was...
Published on Nov. 8 2011 by M. LeB

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 410 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete surprise, Sept. 14 2014
Someone had recommended this book to me so I downloaded it onto my Kindle. From the time that I open the book and started reading until I got to the end, there was not even a moment where I thought that it was boring… This was one of the best books I've ever read in amazing detail with a wonderful surprise at the end. This is another book that I would highly recommend to anyone who loves to read an excellent story that is very well done.

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawner, Jan. 31 2012
Maureen Williams (New Brunswick Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
The synopsis nothing short of brilliant but when you take away the overly flowery prose you are left reading quite a few journal entries that change very little from day to day. The book dragged on and on and on, especially after I had guessed the ending halfway through. This book would have made a fantastic short story or novella.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, once you start reading you will continue non-stop., Aug. 20 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I'm not a real big "reader" but I just couldn't put the book down. I couldn't stop reading as I wanted to find out more about the story, what was going to happen next,etc.

I was really happy to read the book and I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong description, Sept. 25 2011
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
The blurbs at the back of the book describe it as being 'thrilling' and 'suspenseful'. There is not the least trace of either quality in this book. In its own way, it is quite a nice book, but it would be better described as a sentimental/romantic/100% women's book, filled with a lot of emotions and tears. The plot itself is exceedingly simple, but the story is drawn out, leaving the reader feeling bored and impatient. A lot of the pages are given over to descriptions of domesticity and the daily grind of an urban housewife. Though I felt pity for the female protagonist, I felt no other connection to her. This novel would have been more successful as a short story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amateurs of psychological thriller, this book is for you!, May 7 2014
A pure psychological thriller (which I must admit is less to my taste, especially the psychological side ...) with a fluidity in the text. We inch in the story and the more we advance the more the suspense and tension build up to an end - although a little predictable - nonetheless very good.

At first I was scared to read the same thing constantly, as Christine forget all her days overnights. I thought that this would be yet another story of butterfly effect, seen and reviewed, but I was pleasantly surprised, because Watson arrives to help us understand the anguish of a woman who wakes up every morning not knowing who is man beside her, without telling us the same thing. He adds every day a detail, a fact, an anecdote that allows us to understand the story of Christine, almost at the same time (almost because as we do not forget ... we - almost - are one step ahead anyway)!

The main character, Christine, is very well written, not too hysterical despite her condition, not too naive either, rather she is an intelligent woman who is looking for answers to her story without blindly believing what people tell her. The relationships between the characters are very realistic, there are no frills. I was really surprised to know that the author is a man considering how he writes and the accuracy in the transcription of the feelings and thoughts of Christine: there is a real feminine sensibility in the writing, which made me think that the author is a woman.

In a nutshell

Amateurs of psychological thriller, this book is for you! It fully deserves its price and for a first novel, S. J. Watson hits hard, it must be said. I give it a 3/5, mainly because I have a harder time hanging on with psychological thrillers.

My thoughts on closing the book: by Jove, I do not like this kind of ending!
(Originally posted at vanessa-s-bookshelves.blogspot.ca)

4.0 out of 5 stars Page turner!, April 29 2014
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a page turner, a thriller. It makes you not want to put the book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars REMember, April 7 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This is an excellent, gripping, pshychological thriller that will keep you reading for 100s of pages at a time. Incredibly well worked out, and explained by the book's end. The book works. I suggest for thrillers like this you sit down and read it and not try and figure it out as you go. All that does is take the fun out of a book or film. It's been translated into 30 languages and soon to be a major film. Read the book first.

Any criticisms that a man can't write about a woman or vice versa always fall flat with me. Anyone with an imagination and the willingness to string words into good sentences should do so, ortherwise we would have a whole lot less of everything. As others have said it is Memento-like, and that to me a is a good thing, since Memento is a great movie. Check that out too sometime. Pleasant dreams.
Pmac

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, April 6 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Should get, great read, had fun reading it to my Mom, she enjoys it and so did I. not a fan of the font but whatever.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre...topic has been tackled before and better, March 29 2014
Rose (Saint John, NB, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I read this book because of a recommendation from a girl at work. It was apparently the best book she ever read. I absolutely HAD to read it. I would love it. If it wasn't for the ending, I wouldn't have liked this book at all.

It's about a woman who has the type of brain injury that prevents her from creating short-term memories. It's an interesting topic. I loved the movies 50 First Dates and Memento which both had the main character experiencing this phenomenon, one being light-hearted and the other extremely serious. However, it's one thing watching this and another to read about it. Not sadly, but confusingly and monotonously. The same details over and over as she starts each new day. Sometimes the details change, or her reaction to everything changed, and you had no idea what was really going on. Usually this is fun, like in Groundhog Day, but not so much here. It ended well...all was made clear, but it was a painful process to get there.

I wouldn't tell someone not to read it, it wasn't bad but in my opinion this would be a much better movie. Too bad it's been done before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, March 17 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Haven't finished it yet but so far I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation for what is coming up next. This book came highly recommended and I can't wait to also see the movie when it comes out.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 410 | Next ›

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep by S Watson (Paperback - June 6 2011)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.87