5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from beginning to end
First let me say that this book is nothing like Fifty First Dates; the main point being that this is a thriller not a comedy. If you were to compare it to a movie, Momento would be a better choice. Yes, it's another story involving amnesia but it's good.

I read this book in one sitting. The premise is rather simple but the way the story unfolds is completely...
Published on June 17 2011 by Slomacs

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...but....
This book was beautifully written. It was quite interesting to read about amnesia and how it affects the lives of the victim and his/her family. I thought the book dragged on quite a bit however, I was waiting for something to happen, and had to wait until the very end. However, SJ Watson still kept readers somewhat interested with little hints here and there of what was...
Published on Nov. 8 2011 by M. LeB

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 410 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what is all the hype about?, Feb. 3 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Why read the same thing over and over again only to get to a predictable ending?? Not good. I was very dissapointed after all the good reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars Before the author puts me to sleep, March 14 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This book stinks. A reasonably good story line is buried under tons of sloppy research and stilted writing. The female voice is unconvincing. The author has done too little research on amnesia which he then attempts to mitigate by forcing the psychiatrist to tell us that this case is really unusual. The only unusual thing about the story is that this book is on a bestseller list.

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawner, Jan. 31 2012
Maureen Williams (New Brunswick Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
The synopsis nothing short of brilliant but when you take away the overly flowery prose you are left reading quite a few journal entries that change very little from day to day. The book dragged on and on and on, especially after I had guessed the ending halfway through. This book would have made a fantastic short story or novella.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, once you start reading you will continue non-stop., Aug. 20 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I'm not a real big "reader" but I just couldn't put the book down. I couldn't stop reading as I wanted to find out more about the story, what was going to happen next,etc.

I was really happy to read the book and I highly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete waste of time... With an ending fit for scooby-doo..., Feb. 8 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I have never been so disappointed in a book. Drawn in by the accolades on the cover, and a huge fan of neurologically damaged characters I thought I'd enjoy the subject matter. How wrong I was. Literally three quarters of the book was dedicated to the description and constant, endless reinforcement of the main character's plight, full of holes as she writes (as only a writer can) what we are supposed to believe is the ramblings of a confused amnesiac. When you're ready to throw the book across the room there's a teaser of an ending and the hope that maybe, just maybe it's not going to end as predictably as you have convinced yourself it would do... And lo and behold, it does. In a hurry. With all the excitement of a wet Wednesday. Sorry, but I won't be making a dash for novel number two...

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong description, Sept. 25 2011
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
The blurbs at the back of the book describe it as being 'thrilling' and 'suspenseful'. There is not the least trace of either quality in this book. In its own way, it is quite a nice book, but it would be better described as a sentimental/romantic/100% women's book, filled with a lot of emotions and tears. The plot itself is exceedingly simple, but the story is drawn out, leaving the reader feeling bored and impatient. A lot of the pages are given over to descriptions of domesticity and the daily grind of an urban housewife. Though I felt pity for the female protagonist, I felt no other connection to her. This novel would have been more successful as a short story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amateurs of psychological thriller, this book is for you!, May 7 2014
A pure psychological thriller (which I must admit is less to my taste, especially the psychological side ...) with a fluidity in the text. We inch in the story and the more we advance the more the suspense and tension build up to an end - although a little predictable - nonetheless very good.

At first I was scared to read the same thing constantly, as Christine forget all her days overnights. I thought that this would be yet another story of butterfly effect, seen and reviewed, but I was pleasantly surprised, because Watson arrives to help us understand the anguish of a woman who wakes up every morning not knowing who is man beside her, without telling us the same thing. He adds every day a detail, a fact, an anecdote that allows us to understand the story of Christine, almost at the same time (almost because as we do not forget ... we - almost - are one step ahead anyway)!

The main character, Christine, is very well written, not too hysterical despite her condition, not too naive either, rather she is an intelligent woman who is looking for answers to her story without blindly believing what people tell her. The relationships between the characters are very realistic, there are no frills. I was really surprised to know that the author is a man considering how he writes and the accuracy in the transcription of the feelings and thoughts of Christine: there is a real feminine sensibility in the writing, which made me think that the author is a woman.

In a nutshell

Amateurs of psychological thriller, this book is for you! It fully deserves its price and for a first novel, S. J. Watson hits hard, it must be said. I give it a 3/5, mainly because I have a harder time hanging on with psychological thrillers.

My thoughts on closing the book: by Jove, I do not like this kind of ending!
(Originally posted at vanessa-s-bookshelves.blogspot.ca)

4.0 out of 5 stars Page turner!, April 29 2014
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a page turner, a thriller. It makes you not want to put the book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars REMember, April 7 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This is an excellent, gripping, pshychological thriller that will keep you reading for 100s of pages at a time. Incredibly well worked out, and explained by the book's end. The book works. I suggest for thrillers like this you sit down and read it and not try and figure it out as you go. All that does is take the fun out of a book or film. It's been translated into 30 languages and soon to be a major film. Read the book first.

Any criticisms that a man can't write about a woman or vice versa always fall flat with me. Anyone with an imagination and the willingness to string words into good sentences should do so, ortherwise we would have a whole lot less of everything. As others have said it is Memento-like, and that to me a is a good thing, since Memento is a great movie. Check that out too sometime. Pleasant dreams.
Pmac

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, April 6 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Should get, great read, had fun reading it to my Mom, she enjoys it and so did I. not a fan of the font but whatever.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 410 | Next ›

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep by S Watson (Paperback - June 6 2011)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.87