5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from beginning to end
First let me say that this book is nothing like Fifty First Dates; the main point being that this is a thriller not a comedy. If you were to compare it to a movie, Momento would be a better choice. Yes, it's another story involving amnesia but it's good.

I read this book in one sitting. The premise is rather simple but the way the story unfolds is completely...
Published on June 17 2011 by Slomacs

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...but....
This book was beautifully written. It was quite interesting to read about amnesia and how it affects the lives of the victim and his/her family. I thought the book dragged on quite a bit however, I was waiting for something to happen, and had to wait until the very end. However, SJ Watson still kept readers somewhat interested with little hints here and there of what was...
Published on Nov. 8 2011 by M. LeB

‹ Previous | 15 6 711 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A perceptive unravelling of a living nightmare for a main character who has lost her memory and identity, Jan. 10 2013
Christine's first person account of what it is like to wake to and perform for a man she has to assume is her husband, begins a compelling narrative which drew me in from the start. The impact of the opening chapter, where Christine looks into the mirror, startled to find a woman some twenty-five years older reflected in the glass, sustains the tension.

I had wondered how long the same power in the writing could last and, I have to say that, perhaps because of the writer's empathy with her main character, I was surprised - and delighted - to find that she could continue to engage my interest almost at the same level through what is an easily readable prose style.

The dialogue, opening between Christine and he who has to assure her that he has been her husband of twenty-two years, is crisp and well-paced, again reflecting the urgency that lies in Christine's emotional trauma as she tries to adjust to a man she had once loved and a world in which she had once had control over her life - both now wrested from her.

For me, there was a slight tendency for the continuous first-person narration to be a little unrelieved; in so far as we are much reliant on Christine's perceptions to unravel the strange and frightening world in which she must fight to re-adjust. Even so, if too many other characters had carried the narrative from their points of view, then I think that some of the superb portrait of panic and desolation that Christine feels would have been lost.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous for his first book., Dec 31 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I enjoyed the suspense and confusion with this book. I look forward to his second book. I certainly could not put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Dec 28 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This book was also a page turner. I could hardly wait to get back to reading it.
I would recommend it to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why I liked the book, June 14 2012
Cajetan Bouchard "Software Engineer Master St... (New-Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Before starting the review, I want to let you know that I seen the '50 first Dates' and 'The Vow' movies while I was reading the book. I can assure you that the book is not like those two movies.

Okay so where to begin. At first I felt like the title was really well chosen : Before 'I' go to Sleep. Like in other review, I had hard time to stay awake while reading the book (I even fell asleep on it once). But I would say the rhythm change a little bit in the second half of the book (around page 170). You can see the character evolve and you will start to love the book. Then in part 3, you will keep learning things until the end of the book. I have to confess that I guess the ending of the book a few pages before it was told. I will not tell more so I won't reveal any details of the book.

Would I recommend this ? Not to everyone. I would not qualify this as a Thriller, suspense nor action book. It's not even a psychological story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't start this book at night or you will be up late reading (seriously), April 18 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I haven't finished a book as quickly as I read "Before I go to sleep". Not every book, even really compelling mysteries, keep you flipping the pages compulsively, all the while thinking "I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!"

I had read some reviews which didn't seemed very thrilled, or complained that they figured it all out early on. Well, good for them. I relished every second of it (although I admit that I furiously tore through the last 100 pages pretty quickly over my lunch break at work--again, it's compulsive reading). The book enveloped me-- you become the character and her unease becomes your unease...her desire to uncover her past becomes your desire. The story-telling is fantastic, and Christine's voice is extremely well-developed.

As a fan of mystery novels, this book absolutely amazed me. It's creepy. It's good. I found the end satisfying. Read it read it read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, April 17 2012
Y. Kolomiyets "Julia" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Loved it! Couldn't put the book down until i finished reading the very last page. The story keeps you turning the pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read! Get out of the usual old style and try something new!, April 15 2012
Murph (Barrie Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I can't say enough good things about this book. I have caught myself stopping people at stores and telling them that they need to read this book. Anybody looking to get out from under their rock and read something new that has a different feel to it, this is the book for you. My only knock on it is that the ending was a bit predictable. Otherwise this has to be on your must read list.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting subject matter, Oct. 19 2014
The book had me guessing right to the end. Makes me want to know what happens in the morning when she wakes.

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete waste of time... With an ending fit for scooby-doo..., Feb. 8 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I have never been so disappointed in a book. Drawn in by the accolades on the cover, and a huge fan of neurologically damaged characters I thought I'd enjoy the subject matter. How wrong I was. Literally three quarters of the book was dedicated to the description and constant, endless reinforcement of the main character's plight, full of holes as she writes (as only a writer can) what we are supposed to believe is the ramblings of a confused amnesiac. When you're ready to throw the book across the room there's a teaser of an ending and the hope that maybe, just maybe it's not going to end as predictably as you have convinced yourself it would do... And lo and behold, it does. In a hurry. With all the excitement of a wet Wednesday. Sorry, but I won't be making a dash for novel number two...

3.0 out of 5 stars bought this as a gift for a friend so I ..., Dec 21 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
bought this as a gift for a friend so I can not rate it fairly. Sorry. I see it is now on film.

‹ Previous | 15 6 711 | Next ›

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson (Paperback - June 6 2011)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.87