5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from beginning to end
First let me say that this book is nothing like Fifty First Dates; the main point being that this is a thriller not a comedy. If you were to compare it to a movie, Momento would be a better choice. Yes, it's another story involving amnesia but it's good.

I read this book in one sitting. The premise is rather simple but the way the story unfolds is completely...
Published on June 17 2011 by Slomacs

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...but....
This book was beautifully written. It was quite interesting to read about amnesia and how it affects the lives of the victim and his/her family. I thought the book dragged on quite a bit however, I was waiting for something to happen, and had to wait until the very end. However, SJ Watson still kept readers somewhat interested with little hints here and there of what was...
Published on Nov. 8 2011 by M. LeB

‹ Previous | 15 6 711 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Why I liked the book, June 14 2012
Cajetan Bouchard "Software Engineer Master St... (New-Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Before starting the review, I want to let you know that I seen the '50 first Dates' and 'The Vow' movies while I was reading the book. I can assure you that the book is not like those two movies.

Okay so where to begin. At first I felt like the title was really well chosen : Before 'I' go to Sleep. Like in other review, I had hard time to stay awake while reading the book (I even fell asleep on it once). But I would say the rhythm change a little bit in the second half of the book (around page 170). You can see the character evolve and you will start to love the book. Then in part 3, you will keep learning things until the end of the book. I have to confess that I guess the ending of the book a few pages before it was told. I will not tell more so I won't reveal any details of the book.

Would I recommend this ? Not to everyone. I would not qualify this as a Thriller, suspense nor action book. It's not even a psychological story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't start this book at night or you will be up late reading (seriously), April 18 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I haven't finished a book as quickly as I read "Before I go to sleep". Not every book, even really compelling mysteries, keep you flipping the pages compulsively, all the while thinking "I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!"

I had read some reviews which didn't seemed very thrilled, or complained that they figured it all out early on. Well, good for them. I relished every second of it (although I admit that I furiously tore through the last 100 pages pretty quickly over my lunch break at work--again, it's compulsive reading). The book enveloped me-- you become the character and her unease becomes your unease...her desire to uncover her past becomes your desire. The story-telling is fantastic, and Christine's voice is extremely well-developed.

As a fan of mystery novels, this book absolutely amazed me. It's creepy. It's good. I found the end satisfying. Read it read it read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, April 17 2012
Y. Kolomiyets "Julia" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Loved it! Couldn't put the book down until i finished reading the very last page. The story keeps you turning the pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read! Get out of the usual old style and try something new!, April 15 2012
Murph (Barrie Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I can't say enough good things about this book. I have caught myself stopping people at stores and telling them that they need to read this book. Anybody looking to get out from under their rock and read something new that has a different feel to it, this is the book for you. My only knock on it is that the ending was a bit predictable. Otherwise this has to be on your must read list.

2.0 out of 5 stars Flat narrative ruins compelling premise, Jan. 13 2012
Samantha "Critical Reader" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
After reading the first couple chapters of this novel, the voice of Christine, the main character, didn't ring true. Something was wrong. So, I turned to the inside of the back of the book and found out what was up. S.J. Watson is man, a fledgling author writing from a woman's perspective. While Wally Lamb was able to pull it off, S.J. didn't. A man needs strong feminist sensibilities to avoid stereotypical female characterization for the protagonist. I may have gotten over that except for the bland writing style and repetition. It is unnecessary to start the first umpteen chapters with Christine waking up every morning not knowing who she or the man sleeping beside her is. Twice would have been sufficient. While I understand the author's dilemma of how to show the horror of waking each day with twenty years missing, I just wanted the story to begin. As the end of the tale approached, I crossed my fingers with the hope that the climax would be a surprise. It wasn't. When I put the book down, I was relieved that I didn't have to read any more mechanical sentences. The novel was written as part of a novel writing course and it shows. What I find hard to believe is that the instructor didn't point out the danger of starting a novel with "waking", then continuing the mistake chapter after chapter. One other annoying thing for me was the lack of "place". The novel was set in London but it had no Britishness. Not one British phrase or word. Perhaps it was purposeful but I didn't like it. I understand this novel will be made into a movie and I suspect it will translate well into a screenplay and be marketed a taut thriller.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting subject matter, Oct. 19 2014
The book had me guessing right to the end. Makes me want to know what happens in the morning when she wakes.

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete waste of time... With an ending fit for scooby-doo..., Feb. 8 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I have never been so disappointed in a book. Drawn in by the accolades on the cover, and a huge fan of neurologically damaged characters I thought I'd enjoy the subject matter. How wrong I was. Literally three quarters of the book was dedicated to the description and constant, endless reinforcement of the main character's plight, full of holes as she writes (as only a writer can) what we are supposed to believe is the ramblings of a confused amnesiac. When you're ready to throw the book across the room there's a teaser of an ending and the hope that maybe, just maybe it's not going to end as predictably as you have convinced yourself it would do... And lo and behold, it does. In a hurry. With all the excitement of a wet Wednesday. Sorry, but I won't be making a dash for novel number two...

2.0 out of 5 stars Monotonous, Feb. 26 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Was looking forward to reading Before I Go To Sleep and enjoyed the first 250 but, then it became predictable & monotonous. As for the ending, you knew the twist was coming so no surprise. Character development isn't one of the strong suits of the novel, neither is it's originality. Good as a quick read but, lacks depth if you're looking for something with more substance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Before the author puts me to sleep, March 14 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This book stinks. A reasonably good story line is buried under tons of sloppy research and stilted writing. The female voice is unconvincing. The author has done too little research on amnesia which he then attempts to mitigate by forcing the psychiatrist to tell us that this case is really unusual. The only unusual thing about the story is that this book is on a bestseller list.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, Sept. 30 2014
Predictable, thin story line but does hold your attention to see if you're right.

‹ Previous | 15 6 711 | Next ›

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep by S Watson (Paperback - June 6 2011)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.87