5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from beginning to end
First let me say that this book is nothing like Fifty First Dates; the main point being that this is a thriller not a comedy. If you were to compare it to a movie, Momento would be a better choice. Yes, it's another story involving amnesia but it's good.

I read this book in one sitting. The premise is rather simple but the way the story unfolds is completely...
Published on June 17 2011 by Slomacs

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...but....
This book was beautifully written. It was quite interesting to read about amnesia and how it affects the lives of the victim and his/her family. I thought the book dragged on quite a bit however, I was waiting for something to happen, and had to wait until the very end. However, SJ Watson still kept readers somewhat interested with little hints here and there of what was...
Published on Nov. 8 2011 by M. LeB

‹ Previous | 16 7 812 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, July 7 2013
Easy read. Keeps you guessing and excited for the end. Fastest book I have got through. Highly recommended! Shocking twist at the end!

5.0 out of 5 stars a page-turner that kept me up at night, April 23 2013
The book kept pulling me in, making me want to keep turning the pages. You just had this suspicion that something was not right and it was going to be divulged. I kept reading into the night, the suspense of it all wanting me to find the truth. Wonderfully written. A great first book by this author. I will definitely watch for what he writes next.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perceptive unravelling of a living nightmare for a main character who has lost her memory and identity, Jan. 10 2013
Christine's first person account of what it is like to wake to and perform for a man she has to assume is her husband, begins a compelling narrative which drew me in from the start. The impact of the opening chapter, where Christine looks into the mirror, startled to find a woman some twenty-five years older reflected in the glass, sustains the tension.

I had wondered how long the same power in the writing could last and, I have to say that, perhaps because of the writer's empathy with her main character, I was surprised - and delighted - to find that she could continue to engage my interest almost at the same level through what is an easily readable prose style.

The dialogue, opening between Christine and he who has to assure her that he has been her husband of twenty-two years, is crisp and well-paced, again reflecting the urgency that lies in Christine's emotional trauma as she tries to adjust to a man she had once loved and a world in which she had once had control over her life - both now wrested from her.

For me, there was a slight tendency for the continuous first-person narration to be a little unrelieved; in so far as we are much reliant on Christine's perceptions to unravel the strange and frightening world in which she must fight to re-adjust. Even so, if too many other characters had carried the narrative from their points of view, then I think that some of the superb portrait of panic and desolation that Christine feels would have been lost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, March 17 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Haven't finished it yet but so far I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation for what is coming up next. This book came highly recommended and I can't wait to also see the movie when it comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars could not put this book down!, Dec 23 2011
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Im not a frequent reader! and I must admit that getting into books is difficult for me! this book was a non stop read from start to finish! I would wake up at 6 am to continue reading! awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, Dec 28 2011
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I won't outline the plot as there are enough reviews that do, but it was a simple read that kept me captivated. I wanted to find out about her life as much as she did!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cleverly Written, Jan. 7 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This book kept me on the edge of my seat/bed. I couldn't put it down until it was finished. It wasn't until near the ending that everything came together - shocking!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book this year, Sept. 26 2011
healher (White Lake) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This book kept me interested from beginning to end. I had a hard time putting it down.
It is not the sort of book you want to use to put you to sleep. I found myself trying to stay up just to read a little more.
I had suggested it for my new book club and feel confident that many will love it too. I can't wait to hear their reactions.
It got me thinking about how I would handle a similar situation and what I would want my spouse and friends to do if it happened to me.
Hope you enjoy it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful, Nov. 21 2011
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
If you want to escape from it all, this is a great read. I read it in 3 sittings - I didn't want to put it down. Very suspenseful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Monotonous, Feb. 26 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Was looking forward to reading Before I Go To Sleep and enjoyed the first 250 but, then it became predictable & monotonous. As for the ending, you knew the twist was coming so no surprise. Character development isn't one of the strong suits of the novel, neither is it's originality. Good as a quick read but, lacks depth if you're looking for something with more substance.

‹ Previous | 16 7 812 | Next ›

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson (Paperback - June 6 2011)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.87