5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from beginning to end
First let me say that this book is nothing like Fifty First Dates; the main point being that this is a thriller not a comedy. If you were to compare it to a movie, Momento would be a better choice. Yes, it's another story involving amnesia but it's good.

I read this book in one sitting. The premise is rather simple but the way the story unfolds is completely...
Published on June 17 2011 by Slomacs

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...but....
This book was beautifully written. It was quite interesting to read about amnesia and how it affects the lives of the victim and his/her family. I thought the book dragged on quite a bit however, I was waiting for something to happen, and had to wait until the very end. However, SJ Watson still kept readers somewhat interested with little hints here and there of what was...
Published on Nov. 8 2011 by M. LeB

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book this year, Sept. 26 2011
healher (White Lake) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This book kept me interested from beginning to end. I had a hard time putting it down.
It is not the sort of book you want to use to put you to sleep. I found myself trying to stay up just to read a little more.
I had suggested it for my new book club and feel confident that many will love it too. I can't wait to hear their reactions.
It got me thinking about how I would handle a similar situation and what I would want my spouse and friends to do if it happened to me.
Hope you enjoy it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, Sept. 7 2011
Valerie Christie (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I loved this book. Finished it in a couple days... could NOT put it down and during the brief time that i did i couldnt stop thinking about it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Got me reading like a mad woman!, Jan. 9 2012
Di Gital (Montréal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I must say, I don't have a lot of time to read these days.
This book just didn't let me put it down... I kept wondering what the catch was and
it made me nuts! One can wonder what we are if not the sum
of our experiences. What would you do if all you know is a lie?

4.0 out of 5 stars Memorable..., Jan. 8 2012
Kadi Kaljuste (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
S.J. Watson's debut novel manages to combine the thriller genre with a truly captivating glimpse into the difficult life of someone with amnesia. His storytelling is so vivid that it's little wonder the film rights for the book have already been purchased. I did find some of the plot twists somewhat predictable, but it was a good read nonetheless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cleverly Written, Jan. 7 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This book kept me on the edge of my seat/bed. I couldn't put it down until it was finished. It wasn't until near the ending that everything came together - shocking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, Dec 28 2011
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I won't outline the plot as there are enough reviews that do, but it was a simple read that kept me captivated. I wanted to find out about her life as much as she did!

5.0 out of 5 stars could not put this book down!, Dec 23 2011
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Im not a frequent reader! and I must admit that getting into books is difficult for me! this book was a non stop read from start to finish! I would wake up at 6 am to continue reading! awesome!

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderfully disturbing, Dec 21 2011
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
While I read this book, I had the unsettling sense that something very bad was about to happen, and I just had to keep reading to find out what it was. It's like watching a thriller movie, you know something terrifying is about to happen, and your adrenalin is going and you're cringing in anticipation, and though you may be inclined to turn away, you just have to see what happens. I had a hard time putting this book down. It is very well written, very suspenseful, and will satisfy your craving to be completely creeped out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book !, Dec 5 2011
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This book is excellent and I recommend it to everyone. I just keep watching for the next book of S.J. Watson.

4.0 out of 5 stars "WHAT ARE WE IF NOT AN ACCUMULATION OF OUR MEMORIES?", Nov. 23 2011
Buggy "SUNNIE Day reader" (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Really, really enjoyed this one even though suspense/thrillers aren't my usual genre. The premise here reminds me of the movie 50 First Dates -girl wakes up each morning with no memories of the previous day(s) and essentially relives each new day as her first, being told about her accident and looking at photographs of her missing life. This isn't a comedy though. The story here is dark and mysterious, with an impending sense of everyone/everything is not as it seems. As the reader you have the task of trying to figure it out who the bad guy is, who's lying to Christine and why. I didn't figure that out or see the big twist coming until I was right on top of it, so this was a super fun read for me.

At times the story does get repetitive because we're continually in Christine's head, being retold or reading and relearning everything from her journal over and over again. By the same token the first person narrative also got to be a bit much but really this couldn't have been written any other way.

We begin with Christine waking up in a stranger's bed. She can't remember how she got there but her twenty-something self tells her that she must have hooked up with the man at a party. Christine is not hung over though and soon learns that she's no longer in twenties either but from the same decade as the middle aged man washing up in the bathroom. And now he's telling her that he's her husband Ben, and that she suffered a devastating injury resulting in a rare form of amnesia, leaving her unable to retain memories from one day to the next.

Left alone Christine begins to putter about the house, what does she do all day anyways? Does it matter? She soon receives a phone call from a man claiming to be her Doctor; he explains that she has been keeping a journal and where it is hidden. It is through this journal that Christine begins to piece her life back together, forming a fragmented picture from those she is supposed to trust. But not everything adds up and as the days go by and the journal entries get longer Christine realizes that she is receiving two different versions of her life from her Doctor and her husband.

Relying completely on the journal Christine begins testing her husband and finally doubting herself as confusing memories return. Are they real? When the last day's journal entry reads "Don't trust Ben" who will she turn to? What is the truth?

I found this scary and sad in the sense that Christine has lost 20 years of her life. Imagine being in college and waking up at 45! Repeating the same day over and over, not knowing what is real, just relying on those you think you can trust. Realizing that you've probably been having the same conversations, asking the same questions and being told the same horrible truths (lies) every day.

This was a great read, it's not perfect but made me stop and think. It has also been optioned for film by Ridley Scott's production company. And I think it will make a fantastic movie

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb3658ec4)

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep by S Watson (Paperback - June 6 2011)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.87