4.0 out of 5 stars Creative and Deeply Touching
Enzo knows he's different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul, he has educated himself by watching TV and listening to his master, Denny Swift, an up0and-coming race car driver- Art of Racing in the Rain (Front Flap)

Published on Oct. 3 2008 by Teddy

3.0 out of 5 stars A DOG'S TALE
Surprise. Surprise. "The Art of Racing in the Rain" actually refers to race car driving. I have no interest in this sport but I certainly got the relevance thanks to Enzo.

Enzo is a dog, (named after Enzo Ferrari no less)! Denny is a sometimes racing car driver, Enzo's master.

Enzo is nothing if not discerning & expects to come back as a man when his...
Published 13 months ago by little lady blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Creative and Deeply Touching, Oct. 3 2008
Teddy (Richmond, BC) - See all my reviews

Enzo is convinced that he will come back in his next life as a man. On the last night of his death, he looks back on his life and the struggles that Denny had. The loss of his wife Eve and the custody battle for his daughter Zoe, against Eve's wealthy parents. Enzo knows that he did his part to reunite the family and has the hope that Denny can still become a champion race car driver.

I received a copy of this as an advanced read from Harper Collins Canada. I was just about to start reading this book when my precious dog, Robbie died. Because of the nature of this book, I couldn't get myself to pick it up until now. It was difficult for me to get through the parts where Enzo described his health and his passing. I had a good cry.

Garth Stein has an amazingly creative and fresh writing style. Using a dog, as narrator not only works, I don't think the book could have been written any other way.

This may sound like it has the potential to be saccharin sweet and I must confess it has a little bit of that. The ending was also quite predictable, however, don't let these little "flaws" keep you from this book. There are moments of great sadness, moments that are laugh out loud funny, and moments of great joy. This book is a gem!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art Of Racing In The Rain, Aug. 5 2009
Helen L. Liberty "Love My Amazon!!" (Ste Therese Qc Canada) - See all my reviews
Amazing Read! I had just finished reading Marley & Me, & this just seemed to be a natural followup by showing the dog's point of view.
Very philisophical & thought inspiring! Fantastic ending, wouldn't have it any other way!
Will most definitely read it again & again! A Keeper!
Bravo Garth Stein for a wonderful look into our human failings. A True lesson to be learned!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Power of Fiction, Sept. 21 2008
L. Brost "The Conflict Guy" (Saltspring Island B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Art of Racing in the Rain
I am a professional columnist, a some-day novelist who really earns his living as a conflict management specialist and as a personal coach. From that perspective, it is perhaps the best book I have ever read. Mr. Steins' novel functions as a cracking good story, replete with humor and tragedy, and a joy for all of us for who love dogs or might have dreamt of racing cars. On a totally different level, it is also a powerful teaching tool. In the pages of this book, I learned a life lesson simple and powerful that I have incorporated it into my professional practice and personal life. This is- without doubt- a must-read book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh My Dog! What a great book!, July 15 2009
Ramoth (Saskatoon, SK Canada) - See all my reviews
I absolutely loved this book. It has been some time now since I have read a book that I just couldn't put down. It sounds like such a cliche and perhaps it is but this was truly a wonderful book. I found myself laughing, crying and actually talking out loud as I read the book. I surprised and somewhat startled my husband a few times as I quietly sat reading and then came out with comments like "Way to go Enzo!" or I moved suddenly to sit on the edge of my chair or I just started to laugh or cry. At one point I actually had tears dripping off my chin. This is so much more than a book about a dog. This is a lesson in life, but not in a preachy way. Other reviewers have commented that you will never be able to look at a dog in the same way again and I agree, but I must add that I will never look at a stuffed zebra in the same way again either. "The zebra is the worst part of us..." This story is about good (Denny, Eve, Zoe and Enzo) as well as evil (the 'twins"). It is about love, understanding, perseverance, forgiveness, friendship, courage, faith and so much more. If you read only one book this year, make it his one.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I'VE READ...EVER, July 5 2009
Buggy "SUNNIE Day reader" (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Wow, this truly is an unforgettable book that will leave you (kinda wrecked) and unable to look at dogs in quite the same way ever again. Garth Stein has managed to capture the inner workings of the dog perfectly here, the attention to detail and why dogs do certain things is amazing. This really is a look at our human lives as only a dog could see it. Enzo and his family will tear at your heart in many ways and on many different levels. Containing a wonderful, gripping storyline and characters that you'll become deeply attached to, this is a sad yet ultimately uplifting book.

Don't be scared away by the title. The "racing in the rain" part of this book is a metaphor for life. Yes, one of the main characters races cars for a living and yes, Enzo refers to everything in his life by way of racing metaphors, but this book is so much more. It's about life and family, heartbreak and loss and ultimately joy, all as seen through the eyes of a dog named Enzo. Think (Marley & Me) only narrated by Marley not the humans.

Enzo, wants nothing more than to be a man. On the eve of his death he tells what will amount to his master's life's story. Enzo has educated himself by watching too much TV, in particular Speed Channel and The Weather Channel. In his own words "the weather channel is not about weather it's about life."

His happy family includes; Denny, an up and coming race car driver, Eve, his wife and their young daughter Zoë. Enzo's life is cheerfully routine until the day he smells the cancer that has come to rest in Eve's head. He can't warn her of course because dogs can't speak (Enzo continually reminds us of this) and as Eve's condition deteriorates their lives change forever. In the end Denny finds himself in a bitter custody battle that very nearly breaks him. Along the way Enzo must deal with possessed Zebras, the twins, hip dysplasia, hot peppers and demon crows all of which provided some great comic relief.

I absolutely loved this book and I can't recommend it enough although I would suggest not reading the ending in public as it made me cry... a lot. I will certainly be visiting Enzo again soon and giving him to all my friends as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars A DOG'S TALE, June 7 2013
little lady blue - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Art Of Racing In The Rain (Paperback)

Enzo is nothing if not discerning & expects to come back as a man when his time comes with a proper tongue to allow him to speak & of course, thumbs! Until then he is a thinker & watcher of people sagely advising: "Learn to listen! I beg of you. Pretend you are a dog like me and listen to other people rather than steal their stories". (Pg.102).

This book is full of empathy, honesty & insight into the human heart as seen through the eyes of a dog. Enzo is Denny's closest confidant & comfort when Denny must deal with sadness, loss & adversity.

Enzo has much to say about growing old; how the body disappoints us & how we must deal with it with courage it. He has much to say about many things that are certainly relevant, and who is to say that dogs really do not have the thoughts & feelings that Mr. Stein has attributed to Enzo?

Since I don't know I'm quite willing to take Enzo at his word. A charming, surprising, sometimes sad, but ultimately happy dog's tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, original, funny, sad........., Aug. 28 2012
Jackson Spines (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Art Of Racing In The Rain (Paperback)
I read this book in two days. Truth be told, I couldn't put it down once I started reading it. I became addicted to it. Reading it was like watching a really good movie, waiting in anticipation for the ending to come so you could find out everything that happens. When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it. I was completely absorbed. It had such moments of joy and one moment in particular that had me howling with laughter so hard I had tears streaming down my face. It also had its share of sorrow. The ending of the book was bittersweet and left me sobbing. One of the best books I've ever read. I'm going to recommend this book to everyone I know. A must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put this book down...brilliant!, Dec 15 2011
unique way to write and give the reader a glimpse into how a dog, a pet, mans's best friend may view the world and life's experineces. Stein captures a new perspective on life and life's challenges by exploring them how a dog may view the situations. I read this book in one evening, as there was no place I could put the book down. I was moved from laughter to tears, and self reflection. Thank you Mr Stein for a masterpiece!
Charmaine Hammond

On Toby's Terms: A Story of Love, Life and Purpose

5.0 out of 5 stars so much more than just what it seems, Aug. 31 2011
This review is from: Art Of Racing In The Rain (Paperback)
a thoughtful portrayal of a how a dog may think, feel and act towards life challenges. however any person who has owned and connected with a dog would agree this book nails it! if there was ever a book to make me cry and laugh in just a few sentences this is it! stein thoughts and words go much deeper than what is written on the page, really he writes some solid words of wisdom, for a daily struggle is really not much different then driving a car on a slick road. all in all a new favorite. i cant wait to read it again!

4.0 out of 5 stars A delightful metaphor, April 23 2011
This review is from: Art Of Racing In The Rain (Paperback)
The Art of Racing in the Rain (ARR) is narrated by Enzo, a wise dog with, on the circle of reincarnation, a soul that is almost human. By the way, that is Enzo's opinion of himself, based on a documentary on Mongolia that he watched - it said that when a dog finished living his lifetimes as a dog, his next incarnation will be as a man. ARR begins with Enzo at the end of his life confident that he will be a human soon - we know right away what Enzo's fate is. But what is it about Enzo that makes him so certain about his rebirth?

The plot, which largely revolves around events in his owner's (Denny) life, is not nuanced and, at times, can feel slightly contrived. But the book succeeds because the plot is merely a vehicle; along side the plot are Enzo's delightfully perceptive, compassionate and funny insights and thoughts about life and the human condition. By the end of the book, I was convinced Enzo would be reincarnated as human too. Why? Because Enzo embodies the person that I want to be - loyal, compassionate, wise, forgiving, loving. Enzo warmed my heart, made me laugh and cry and renewed my faith in karma and the Golden Rule. ARR is a delightful novel - highly recommended!

(I'm no expert on reincarnation, so I am in no way implying that humans are "higher" or "lower" than dogs, what the mechanics of reincarnation are, etc... If you know, please feel free to comment and let me know.)

Art Of Racing In The Rain
Art Of Racing In The Rain by Garth Stein (Paperback - Oct. 19 2010)
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.26