5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource
I love her TV show Till Debt Do Us Part. This book is not very big but has lots of good information.
Published 12 months ago by S.C. in NS

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but could use more concrete examples
I love Gail, read all her books, but this one fell short of the mark. It is cheap (I think 1.99) but I thought there would be a bit more meat to the book and some more concrete examples. That being said, I did find her insight useful in helping us to solidify our plans for moving forward with the kids and their allowances.
Published 14 months ago by Kerry

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, April 9 2013
S.C. in NS (Nova Scotia Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, Oct. 31 2012
N. Faris (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Money-Smart Kids (Paperback)
What a great perspective on whole allowance issue! I've learned a lot and trying out Gail's advice with my kids right now. It just makes so much sense! :) I wish my parents taught us about money like that when we were kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is never to late to teach the kids, Jan. 15 2012
Timothy Ross "Timothy Ross" (Bellamy Station Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Money-Smart Kids (Paperback)
When I picked up this book, I thought at last a book to help us teach the kids about finances. My idea of what would be taught was frankly a bit of a mystery. There is not that much out there and my reading history has not been in that direction. Fortunately , after a few pages I started to "get it".

I especially liked the chapter on Allowances and Your Role in Raising Money Smart Kids was a good ending. There was 2 parts that almost lost me, "Fifteen & Older ( that was my challenging time frame in my own parenting where I did loose it a few times). The chapter on Credit was a bit more than most people might be able to get through, MEGO walls came up, never the less some good stuff in that Credit Chapter some complex stuff put into basic ideas that the parents need to practice themselves. I'm going to re-read it , definately concepts to teach the kids as they get older.

One area that could have been expanded upon more was the Giving section. I do not think it really was covered that much. I was anticipating some neat examples but it just never happened. That needs to be worked on I think. A little micro credit example would be a neat concept to teach kids as well. It is a small book, 80 pages packed with some many delightful tips and traps to help a parent and or grandparent guide the kids through the ages. To get the most of it, the parent needs to use it as a guide and reference and I think that will help get the results.

Overall, at under $10 it is a bargain. This will be a good investment for anyone interested in teaching kids about money, what ever the age.

I am planning on getting a few copies to gift to my own kids, with a few grandchildren around, money is sure to be a hot topic going forward. I am curious to see what happens with the grand kids, almost made me think I should start giving them an allowance to just practice the concepts. I also think the book would make a great gift for financial advisors to give and or reccomend to their clients, especially those that have young children.

Be sure and get the book, then implement the concepts and see what kind of returns you get, I think you will be pleased.

Money-Smart Kids

Cheers
Tim

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but could use more concrete examples, Feb. 7 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to have, Nov. 24 2012
This review is from: Money-Smart Kids (Paperback)
I borrowed and read this book at the library. I decided to buy it because it offers great tips on finance and kids learning about money. Amazing book and highly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Money Smart Kids, Jan. 15 2012
John Mckibbon (Brampton, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Money-Smart Kids (Paperback)
I found this book to be a total waste of time. I did finish it but it is not one I would read again.

ARRAY(0xbbce693c)

Money-Smart Kids
Money-Smart Kids by Gail Vaz-oxlade (Paperback - Dec 6 2011)
CDN$ 6.99 CDN$ 6.64