march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage scflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 15, 2012
When I picked up this book, I thought at last a book to help us teach the kids about finances. My idea of what would be taught was frankly a bit of a mystery. There is not that much out there and my reading history has not been in that direction. Fortunately , after a few pages I started to "get it".

I especially liked the chapter on Allowances and Your Role in Raising Money Smart Kids was a good ending. There was 2 parts that almost lost me, "Fifteen & Older ( that was my challenging time frame in my own parenting where I did loose it a few times). The chapter on Credit was a bit more than most people might be able to get through, MEGO walls came up, never the less some good stuff in that Credit Chapter some complex stuff put into basic ideas that the parents need to practice themselves. I'm going to re-read it , definately concepts to teach the kids as they get older.

One area that could have been expanded upon more was the Giving section. I do not think it really was covered that much. I was anticipating some neat examples but it just never happened. That needs to be worked on I think. A little micro credit example would be a neat concept to teach kids as well. It is a small book, 80 pages packed with some many delightful tips and traps to help a parent and or grandparent guide the kids through the ages. To get the most of it, the parent needs to use it as a guide and reference and I think that will help get the results.

Overall, at under $10 it is a bargain. This will be a good investment for anyone interested in teaching kids about money, what ever the age.

I am planning on getting a few copies to gift to my own kids, with a few grandchildren around, money is sure to be a hot topic going forward. I am curious to see what happens with the grand kids, almost made me think I should start giving them an allowance to just practice the concepts. I also think the book would make a great gift for financial advisors to give and or reccomend to their clients, especially those that have young children.

Be sure and get the book, then implement the concepts and see what kind of returns you get, I think you will be pleased.

Money-Smart Kids

Cheers
Tim
on April 9, 2013
I love her TV show Till Debt Do Us Part. This book is not very big but has lots of good information.
on October 31, 2012
What a great perspective on whole allowance issue! I've learned a lot and trying out Gail's advice with my kids right now. It just makes so much sense! :) I wish my parents taught us about money like that when we were kids.
on December 18, 2015
I have been looking for articles on money management for kids for awhile and while I have read almost every book written by Gail I never even thought to check her inventory for one. I have to say, it helped me so much!! My boys are very young 2.5 and 5 months. But since reading this I've already starting talking to my oldest about money. He even has 3 jars already!!
on February 7, 2013
I love Gail, read all her books, but this one fell short of the mark. It is cheap (I think 1.99) but I thought there would be a bit more meat to the book and some more concrete examples. That being said, I did find her insight useful in helping us to solidify our plans for moving forward with the kids and their allowances.
on December 7, 2015
This offers some great advice on how to introduce and teach your children about money. It offers advice for dealing with different age groups. I do feel there could have been more examples. I wrote a longer review at http://www.manvsmoney.com/books/5-tips-from-gail-vaz-oxlades-money-smart-kids
on October 11, 2014
I am s happy with this purchase, already have started with the suggestions made by Gail, and have worked amazingly and plan to continue as long as my children grow.
Recommend for every parent that want to show responsibility to their children.
on March 1, 2016
Buy this even if your kids or grand kids are toddlers. Lots about money sense for kids and their parents / grandparents. Very practical information and tips. It is about 80 pages and under $10.00 a copy so well worth the read.
on November 24, 2012
I borrowed and read this book at the library. I decided to buy it because it offers great tips on finance and kids learning about money. Amazing book and highly recommend it.
on March 22, 2016
Teaching our children to manage their money, and managing finances is an invaluable tool. Gail demonstrates in simple, easy to understand language. Great Read!