5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!
Published 18 months ago by Alexander Thorburn-Winsor

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks depth!
Amanda Lang is definately on the right track that human nature requires an inquisitive mind in order to "invent" and move forward and as Ken Robinson says schools are killing our childrens creativty.

Published 14 months ago by Janet Kretschmer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, Oct. 12 2012
This review is from: The Power Of Why (Hardcover)
I recently finished this book and thought it was one of the best books on business I've read in a long time. Much like Freakonomics, but focused on business this book is separated into short sections on different experiments, inventions, and stories that all have a common theme, the power of curiosity. The moment you pick up the book and start reading you'll be hooked, and each story builds onto the last one. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed Freakonomics or other business related books and thought it was one of the best written books on business in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Power of Curiosity to Enrich Our Lives, Nov. 4 2012
G. Parr (Lubbock, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Power Of Why (Hardcover)
“The Power of Why” is a fascinating book! Amanda Lang has brought together many interesting stories of entrepreneurs, their "aha!" moments, and what we can learn from them. As well, she shares some of her personal experiences to show how intelligent curiosity can enrich our lives. After reading the book, I have already found myself asking more questions, paying closer attention to how things work, and making new connections. It's opened my mind to new possibilities…even made me feel a bit more creative. These effects were a complete surprise -- and pretty cool.

“The Power of Why” is entertaining, important, and useful all at once. It's a joy to read, and I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Power of Why - the Clue to Innovation, Dec 15 2012
This review is from: The Power Of Why (Hardcover)
The Power of Why goes against the norm. Author Amanda Lang encourages the reader to question why and how. To think outside the box. To think laterally. The chapter on working as a team and the mentality of an employee who feels valued really struck me. I recommended this book at work as an essential read for all employees. The Power of Why could be an amazing tool in building a team with common aspirations and a mindset in which they acknowledge their role as valued, as an important member of a team.

Highly recommended whether you are a parent, an employee, an entrepreneur (especially!), a manager. Whatever your role, The Power of Why is enlightening!

Read my full review here: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, fun read, Oct. 20 2012
This review is from: The Power Of Why (Hardcover)
Really interesting and lively stories about different inventors and business types whose paths all started with simple questions, like, Why can't a power saw stop before it cuts your finger off? Made me think all my "stupid" questions could have made me a millionaire, if only I'd tried to answer them! Best part of the book for me was the chapter on curiosity, and why kids have it naturally but adults don't. Really good suggestions there for parents and teachers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks depth!, Feb. 24 2013
Janet Kretschmer (Sask, Canada) - See all my reviews

This book however is a collection of examples without specific indepth links back to how the company's went from their questioning to improving and inventing stages. She has followed a logical sequence from questioning through to inventing, but without engaging me.

The Canadian Tire example was probably the most detailed. But for instance the invention of Saw Stop lacked enough depth to inspire me.

The book has the format I just feel as though the author did not engage in her subject enough to make me interested in changing my habits to become more creative. Pity really because it could have and should have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Education in the real world, Dec 5 2012
This review is from: The Power Of Why (Hardcover)
As an educator, I found the book very informing and practical. The way Amanda wrote about the curiosity and learning of children showed an educational model of the Assessment for, as and of learning. Thank you for reaffirming they way I teach my class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, Feb. 8 2013
This review is from: The Power Of Why (Hardcover)
Bought this book for my husband and he loved it. He wants all of our adult kids to read it as well. He thinks it's a great book for everyone and highly recommends it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nietzsche would have loved this book!, Jan. 23 2013
This review is from: The Power Of Why (Hardcover)
The Power of Why is a magnificent book. It embraces, supports and propagates the spirit
of Nietzsche's words:

"He who has a why to live, can bear almost any how."

Why?

Read the book and find out!

David Kennedy
Newfoundland

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy read filled with well presented conclusions., April 12 2014
I really enjoyed the book and will likely read again in 6 months as a check to see if I have progressed in the areas the book drew me to. I work in technology and see many instances where innovation is stifled - it is defeating. Readers need to step back after reading this and as the book suggests - re-examine how they can improve their lives by just asking - Why?

2.0 out of 5 stars repetition, March 14 2014
This review is from: The Power Of Why (Hardcover)
I found that this book was constantly repeating itself. At least the examples are interesting, but I could not make it to the end.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb8548900)

The Power Of Why
The Power Of Why by Amanda Lang (Hardcover - Oct. 9 2012)
CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 18.80