5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book and Good Quality
I got it today and it is 100% new with good quality. Can't help reading it all the night! Really great stuff!
Published 3 months ago by Andy Cao

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting But The Book Title Is Misleading!
The book is a interesting read but the title doesn't represent what the book is about. There is only a small chapter on painting and hacking, the rest is just essays on spam, startups & lisp. The book felt like a random collection of essays & opinions.
Published on Oct. 2 2004 by David Baron

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting But The Book Title Is Misleading!, Oct. 2 2004
David Baron (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book and Good Quality, April 23 2014
Andy Cao (Unit 305 C, 11047-89 Ave, Edmonton, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars As Interesting for Non-Technical Types As Hackers, July 19 2004
Gina Bianchini "Gina" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
A friend of mine introduced me to this book and I am glad that he did. While I am not a programmer and, as a result, got lost a couple of times in the essays, "Beating the Averages" and "The Dream Language", I wholeheartedly recommend this book.
It clearly and crisply explains the art and science of programming and where it fits into a larger historical and social context. It also provides many thought-provoking insights for technical and non-technical folks alike.
You can see in Graham's writing style his passion for simple, succinct prose as well as code. It was a very pleasurable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Painters and Hackers: How Many Are We?, July 10 2004
Hello Paul,
I read your essays "Hackers and Painters" and "Taste for
Makers", and I find them GREAT, even if many months later
the first publication.
I searched the Internet since 1995+ for texts like yours,
but I was able to find *zero* occurrencies of the big
evidence: painters and hackers share common traits.
Of course, they are akin not in the foolish sense that one
can write a program to display some pixels at random or
fixed positions.
Instead, painters and hackers are equals in taste, design,
and skecthing.
I studied painting at Accademia di Belle Arti in Milan, but
I thinker with computers since I was 12, I started with an
Apple IIe clone built by my brother (when he was 18) using
a do-it-yourself kit.
Now I work as a "corporate drone" programmer in Milan.
That's why when I read your essays I was so impressed:
I am not smart enough to be a "real hacker," AND I am not
good enough to be a famous painter, but today this Middle
Land seems to me no longer too much strange.
Thanks Paul,
Claudio Destro
PS:
To be a painter or to be an hacker, that's the question.
I really need to stress the fact that I am really split in
two personalities (as seen from the outside, of course.)
In fact, when I was 14~15, I was really stucked (for about
two years) on the following (in)decision: to study fine
arts or to study information technology?
Did I choose correctly? The fact that now I am a "corporate
drone" programmer makes me think "No, I did not choose
correctly." Indeed, the fact that you, a _real_ computer
scientist, wrote such essays, makes me think that at least
I was right.

5.0 out of 5 stars lisping hate speech, July 9 2004
Andrew Winkler (rockville, md, usa) - See all my reviews
Every so often a book comes along that blows the cobwebs out of some dark corner of my mind. "The Naked Ape", "Sperm Wars", "Guns, Germs, and Steel", and "The Mating Mind" for example;
each in its own way exhibiting our favorite species as a very different critter from the one we gawk at in the mirror.
I got a similar feeling reading the first third of "Hackers and Painters", reading about the prisons we call schools.and the nursuries we call suburbia.
The discussion of economics contains fewer original ideas, but explains clearly some things that every educated person needs to understand, but maybe nobody ever told you. The first half of the book will make fun reading for your active mind.
You have to be a hacker yourself to want to read the second half. At this point the purpose of the book is revealed - subtle ad copy for a new computer language called "arc". The first half are the apologia ( well, prologia ) justifying the audacity of saying out loud that for some purposes, lisp might be a better language than cobol, and forefending the dreaded charge of hate speech.
This is not, however, the endless Holy War between the acolytes of vi and emacs, which was once quashed with "editors, what editors, when I program I just type into the standard input of the compiler".
There's some tantalizing evidence that he's right.
I once got into a discussion with a very bright logician about the nature of mathematics. He was arguing that mathematics is the same thing as set theory, I was arguing that mathematics is the study of interesting axiomatic systems. In some sense it's a stupid argument - one of definitions. In another it's a tribal war over intellectual territory. But it's also possible that it goes to the nature of things in some intrinsic way. From the experience of the last nearly two decades, we can't settle that debate. I don't know if I was right or wrong, or even how meaningful the question was. But we do know now that mathematics is much more than set theory - the theory of topoi, which arose historically from algebraic topology, via category theory and algebraic geometry, subsumes set theory, and is by now clearly a more appropriate foundation for mathematics.
Now that we know that the typed lambda calculi of computational theory are precisely the same objects as the topoi of mathematical category theory, we have the curious coincidence tha t a central foundational notion of logic is identical to the central foundational notion of mathematics. When you get to the same rich ideas from multiple directions, particularly when the roads remember centuries of hard travel, it's time to sit up and pay attention.The last time this happened on that kind of scale, Descartes ushered in the scientific era.
It's probably not outrageous to suggest that a language which has the expressive power of this intellectual Rome could be more useful than one that does not - a suggestion made with intelligence, insight, and expensive anecdotal evidence.
Time for me to get serious about lisp

5.0 out of 5 stars An astonishingly good book of essays, July 4 2004
David Bridgeland (Sterling, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This is an astonishingly good collection of essays. In lesser hands, any of the 15 essays here could have been a book by itself --- each packs more content than you can find in a typical one idea business book, or a typical one technology book for geeks. Yet his book is not dense or difficult: Graham's graceful style is a pleasure to read.
But what is it? Is it a business book, or a technical book? A bit of both actually, with a pinch of social criticism thrown in. There are essays on business --- particularly startups --- and essays on programming languages and how to combat spam, and one delightful one on the difficulty being a nerd in American public schools.
My favorite essay of the 15 --- and picking a favorite is itself a challenge --- is called "What you can't say". It is about heresy, not historical Middle Ages burned-at-the-stake heresy, but heresy today in 2004. And if you believe nothing is heretical today, that no idea today is so beyond the pale that it would provoke a purely emotional reaction to its very utterance, then read some of the other reviews. Graham's idea is not that all heresies are worth challenging publicly, or even that all heresies are wrong, but merely that there is value is being aware of what is heretical, so one can notice where the blind spots are.
Astonishingly good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real genius, June 25 2004
By A Customer
Paul Graham is a real genius who will only receive full recognition for his work very late, like the (now) famous people he talks of in his book. Rarely have I been enlightened on so many points, many of which are extremely subtle, in such a short time. I read rather a lot, but I have yet to come across an author who shares the fruit of his thinking so purely - I fully buy into the otherwise suspicious claim of pure curiosity as motivation.
Please keep writing, Paul!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nerds Take Notice, June 20 2004
Nerds will like the book, even if they feel defensive or irritated by Graham's comments that hit too close to home.
Hypersensitive types (pedants, "experts") should avoid the book -- Graham will gore your sacred cow, and the fact that such an insolent non-expert has cashed out with many millions will bother you. You'd best read something else.
If you are a programmer (who doesn't hack lisp), the book may really make you wonder. You may think that your favorite language is the best -- but do you really have enough experience to back it up?
Graham knows the languages you know. He chooses lisp. He and two other programmers built a $49 million company in 3 years. In the same time period, you didn't. In the "Fantasy Football" sense, you got whupped.
If this intrigues you, check out "On Lisp" (avail free online), by the same author, as it illustrates those things that a lisp master can do that you cannot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thus spake St.Paul ..., June 20 2004
S.RAMASWAMY "srsy" (Chennai, India) - See all my reviews
I have been reading Paul Graham's articles ever since he popped up on Slashdot a couple of years back. I was so excited to hear about the book, that I pre-ordered without waiting for the local edition that is 3-4x cheaper. I don't believe in objective reviews and ,strongly recommend this book to any above average nerd-types who have been suffering in silence in corporate software development environments. If you are deeply puzzled/frustrated with middle management, kool-aid languages/technology,etc., this book will provide you with deep insights into why things are the way they are.
The book is chockful of ideas and hints for getting out the nightmare, that a lot of dev groups are/have turned into. Start your own company , he says ! Why ? Because only in startups do measurability and leverage both ensure that you get what you are worth. In the typical corporate dev environment judging a person's worth or something more tangible like, contributions to specific projects is next to impossible for the typical IT manager. It doesn't matter how hard you work, since the average middle manager cannot measure your contribution. Forget leverage in large groups - you can do very little to alter the course of events in your dept. A few quotes from "How to make wealth" :
*'To get rich you need to get yourself in a situation with two things, measurement and leverage.You need to be in a position where your performance can be measured, or there is no way to get paid more by doing more. And you have to have leverage, in the sense that decisions you make have a big effect'
*'Smallness = Measurement'
* 'Technology = Leverage'
* 'Economically you can think of a startup as a way to compress your whole working life into a few years. Instead of working at a low intensity for forty years, you work as hard as you possibly can for four. This pays well in technology, where you can earn a premium for working fast.'
This book is not crassly materialistic or anything of that sort - except for the chapters "How To make wealth", "Mind the Gap", and "Programming Languages explained" the other chapters are available on the author's website, and that covers a whole range of topics from LISP, the advantages of web based software, Design, etc.
The author does appear to paint with broad brush at times, but the book is overwhelmingly full of fresh insights ,and I think all the negative reviews are missing the wood for the trees.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading even if you don't agree with it, June 16 2004
By A Customer
Paul Graham is an interesting character. He is both an outstanding hacker -- he created the software that became the foundation for Yahoo's shopping site and was an early advocate for Bayesian spam-filtering -- and an artistic painter. Mr. Graham sees no contradiction in all of this -- in fact he considers hacking and art to be nearly synonymous; hence, the title for this book (and an essay contained in the book).
*Hackers and Painters* is an anthology of some of Paul Graham's more provocative essays and lectures. The essays range from exploring the anthropology/sociology of hacking -- nerds (who as an earlier reviewer pointed out are unpopular) and the select of group of computer enthusiasts known as 'hackers.' The book also has his essays advocating the use of Lisp and Bayesian spam-filtering. The book also contains essays that can be considered social commentary (about academics, etc.).
I do NOT agree with all of what Paul Graham has to say. I do not think that Lisp is as useful a language as Paul Graham claims it to be. I don't appreciate his disparaging of concepts (and people) contrary to his own (e.g., bashing Perl, uncharitable remarks about computer scientists and mathematicians, etc.) Some of his social commentary seem ill informed or naive.
BUT -- in spite of all of that -- Paul Graham's essays are well worth reading. Where I do AGREE with him, I really appreciate his insights. I'm a big fan of his essay "Why nerds are unpopular" (contained in this book). With some reservations, I also admire his essays "Hackers and Painters" and essays on Bayesian spam-filtering.
Paul Graham is a great writer. If he wasn't so successful with programming in Lisp, he could have become just as successful with writing in the English language. Although his interest in writing is somewhat secondary to his many other interests, Paul Graham is extraordinary gifted in this arena as well. It's refreshing to see that -- contrary to stereotypes -- a hacker can be both a gifted artist and writer.
As for the complaint about Paul Graham's alleged disparaging of French lit PhDs. Frankly, I have heard many humanities types openly and crassly referring to scientist/engineering/technical types as idiots or worse, and vice versa. While I don't agree with chauvanism by left-brainers, make no mistake, right-brainers are also capable of narrow-minded snobbery as well. (BTW, what does comparing Paul Graham to some comedian have to do with anything? I prefer "unpopular nerds" like Paul to morons like the other reviewer from L.A.)

Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age
Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age by Paul Graham (Paperback - June 7 2010)
CDN$ 22.99 CDN$ 13.68