4.0 out of 5 stars Seems rushed to print..., Feb. 29 2012
Don (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
Seems rushed to print. One of the unfortunate things about the increasing rate at which updates are erupting is that authors have to slap something together and rush it to print before the next upgrade comes out. This book suffers from that syndrome. It seems to be an update to a book about Snow Leopard, and assumes a familiarity with OS X. Not written for those new to Macs, let alone for the first-time computer user. For example, with Windows, when you connect an external HD via USB, you plug it in, and then there is a little message that tells you if it is safe to unplug it. The Mac is totally different. You have to "eject" the hd on-screen by some method (e.g. Dragging the icon to trash), before you unplug it. Fine. But the word "eject" is not even in the index! In fairness, there is a useful section near the end for Windows users (e.g. on how to see where files are without the handy MyComputer option that OS X lacks), but generally it takes a long time to locate stuff. I was thinking 3 stars because the index is lacking and the book isn't newbie-friendly, but I understand the necessity of rushing a book that will become obsolete with the next OS update, so 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Pogue's Mac OS X Lion The Missing Manual, Dec 27 2011
This review is from: Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
As noted on the cover, that book should have been in the box. In fact, this is by far the most complete and detailed book on Mac OS X Lion I have yet seen. It may have come a little late compared to some editions, but the delay was meant to include a complete chapter on iCloud. And the wait was worth it.

It is my second Missing Manual on Mac. I really like the concept. And those who know David Pogue's style won't be surprised by his humor. They will find clear explanations of all the features of Lion, more than 250... We've all read all sorts of tips and comments on Lion on all sorts of websites, but here all that information is well organized, easy to find and easy to understand. As always, Pogue makes a good use of illustrations and put a special attention to use only the ones that best suits its objectives.

I particularly appreciate the section on iCloud. All you need to know is there, clearly explained .

Mac OS X The Missing Manual is, in my opinion, the definitive reference on Lion and I would not hesitate to recommend it to a friend. I even think of getting the digital version, just to be able to access its content from my iPad.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thick Book, Sept. 18 2013
Brian R. Mcdonald (Airdrie, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
I have found "Mac OSX Lion" by David Pogue to be a wonderful reference book. I intend to buy his books for future operating system upgrades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac OS X Lion, Jan. 5 2012
This review is from: Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
This book is very informative and a 'must have' item for using Mac OS X Lion. It has lots of information. I'm still not finished reading it and I refer to the book often. I bought 2 copies -one for my grandson and one for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, Dec 15 2011
Dianne Andrews "Dianne Andrews" (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
I have purchased theses manuals before and find them very helpful. I keep them handy and use them often. It came quickly and saved me a trip to the store.

Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual
Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual by David Pogue (Paperback - Oct. 30 2011)
CDN$ 36.99 CDN$ 23.16