4.0 out of 5 stars Dilbert meets Oatmeal
Published on Oct. 22 2012 by A. Volk

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't know why I purchased this...
Read this at your local library. Waste of money - especially if you are paying for shipping, only 3 pages actually stimulated laughter from me.
Published 15 months ago by Amelianna R

4.0 out of 5 stars Dilbert meets Oatmeal, Oct. 22 2012
A. Volk (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You (Paperback)
This book is a book about cats. How to tell if your cats is plotting to kill you (start), how to tell if your cat is gay (end), and what Bob the cat would do at the office (middle). The first and last parts are classic Oatmeal gags that remind me of the demotivational posters that you find on the Internet. I really enjoyed those parts, five stars. The middle part about Bob the cat at the office was a little over the top, and reminded me of Dilbert crossed with maybe South Park. Or something way out there. Maybe it's because I don't work in an office any more, but I didn't really enjoy the middle as much, so I'd give it 3 stars. It does have a nice poster at the end of the book, but I do wish the book was a little longer and the jokes were a little more varied.

Overall then, this is a four-star book for me. For Oatmeal fans, it's definitely at least that. For cat lovers, it's also probably at least that. As I said, the whole book is basically a series of cat jokes. I've had a good cat and two psycho cats, which is why I'm not a big cat lover and which is why I probably enjoyed the humor in this book. So if you like cats or Oatmeal, this is probably a safe buy. If you're looking for general humor and don't like Dilbert or cats, then this is probably not the book for you. Even then though, you should probably at least sneak a peak from a friend or something because the first and last parts of this book are very funny!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic as always, Nov. 2 2012
the oatmeal once again hammers it home with a very humorous and insightful look into the world of cats. i have followed this guy for years and am always happen to see new stuff coming from him. this is just another example of his fine work
purchase is a must

5.0 out of 5 stars Cat Plotting, Nov. 13 2012
Hillarious...... I couldn't put this book down and read it from cover to cover in less than a day. If you love or have cats, it's a must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars laughed so hard, Nov. 7 2012
I read great reviews about this book so I purchased it. Upon seeing the book and starting to read it I really wasn't sure what to think. The More I read the harder I laughed. Having had cats for the better part of 25yrs so many things were so "real" from a hilarious perspective. If you have a cat get this book. It will not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cartoons!, Dec 10 2012
A good selection of single image and cartoon strips. The simple, clear lines of the drawings also evoke the essence of the cat (I am going to give a copy of this book to my brother, an artist, in part because of this). The book is a "quick read", though, as it is only a collection of cartoons, but those who like this sort of thing will love "The Oatmeal's" "How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you".

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, Dec 23 2012
J. saunders "tooonztrains" (North Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
If you are a cat lover this book is for you. Very funny and nicely illustrated. Caution: This book will have tears rolling down you cheeks at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Saves my Life, Jan. 14 2013
This book saved my life!! I had noticed that my cat was acting a bit strange lately - bringing me dead animals, walking between my legs while at the top of the stairs, using my face as a pillow, etc. It was on my mind as of late, as to what was going on with my cat. I was browsing for knitting books, when I noticed this book in the 'suggestions for you' on amazon.com and decided to click it. As soon as I read the title, I knew I had to purchase this book. I am so thankful I did! When it arrived, I immediately went to the section about how to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you. This explained a lot of the strange behaviours my cat was exhibiting. I decided that I better make things right with my cat before I kick the bucket, so I have been making a conscious effort to thwart his murderous tendencies. I did this by studying "How to Pet your Kitty" - also in this book. I also presented my cat an offering of goat flavoured llama, and have given countless paw massages, as well as spoon feeding him fancy feast tuna flavour wet cat food. It seems to have worked for now, because even as I speak my cat is sitting on my lap kneading my belly and .....oh GOD!!! He just dug his claws into my stomach.....he's ripping me open......help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious Book for Cat Lovers, Jan. 24 2013
Debra Purdy Kong (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
After slogging through some fairly heavy material with the last book I read, it's always a treat to read something light and amusing. As a cat person, this book was the perfect choice. Not many humorous books have me laughing out loud, but this one did. If you own cats you'll get the humor. If you don't, it'll only confirm your belief that cats and owners have a really weird relationship.

Author Matthew Inman truly knows his topic and his drawings are as funny as the text. There are so many great cartoons to accompany the captions that it doesn't take long to read the 130 pages. Despite the easy read and full-color pages, this isn't a book for children. The humor is definitely adult and some parents might not approve of the language, or the cynical, cagey attitude of the chapters featuring the Bobcats (two cats who work in an office and endlessly annoy their human colleagues). For humor, creativity, and a great title, I give the book two thumbs up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Subversive, Jan. 15 2013
Anyone who had been around cats for any lenth of time will appreciate this take on what is really going on inside their little furry heads. Murder and mayhem, it seems... Ranging from witty, to crude, but all in fun, this would be a good choice for a cat-lover, but equally enjoyable for someone with only a passing acquaintance with cats. Good fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read/view for cat people..., June 16 2013
This book is wonderfully written and illustrated. The author is obviously no stranger to felines, and the drawings and text had my family snickering, guffawing-and chagrined/agreeing-from start to finish. Makes you want to meet the strange and insightful mind that produced such a book, hmmm. A great (and fairly large) poster is also included, all folded up; I'm planning to get mine mounted on some sort of backing, to be displayed prominently in the house.

"How to Tell..." will enlighten, terrify, and just plain entertain the cat aficionado. At least now we can develop our own survival strategy in a more sophisticated manner, although I still feel basically doomed! (I'd like to buy copies for all my friends with fiendish fur buddies[?!] but my five hairy scoundrels have absconded with my wallet-along with the contents of the wall safe-leaving only paw prints and a nasty note not fit to be shared on a family website.)

How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You by Matthew Inman (Paperback - Oct. 9 2012)
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 8.08