4.0 out of 5 stars A smarter way to live
Published 12 months ago by Horace McPherson

2.0 out of 5 stars glad I got it from the library...
Published on March 2 2013 by A. Houston

2.0 out of 5 stars glad I got it from the library..., March 2 2013
A. Houston (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The End of Illness (Hardcover)
I saw this book at a bookstore, and thought it looked interesting. I requested it from our local library(surprisingly it only took a few days to become available) and gave it a read. I have read a lot of health and wellness books, and I found this book one of the more boring ones. The author owns a company that does genetic testing to study one's "proteomics", and highly advocates this as a method of determining what particular illness, condition, drug effectiveness or ineffectiveness, to which one might be susceptible. He is highly supportive of statins even for people without high cholesterol, as a way to reduce inflammation. He disses blenderized( and juiced) fruits and vegetables as a way of getting good nutrition, yet is careful not to step on the toes of big junk food, beef and dairy industries by putting even an iota of blame on these for the sorry state of our health. It seems there is a lot of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" when it comes to the "praise" on the back cover; all of those people have been favorably mentioned within the body of the book by the author.
The part of the book that was almost laughable, was in the first few chapters where he has a list of questions for the reader to answer in writing, then take in to one's physician to review with him point by point. Not gonna happen. At least in Canada, we live in a medical society that mostly adheres to the "one visit, one issue" rule.
All in all, I was not impressed by the book, although some of his info was interesting to me as an RN. I think for a regular lay person, this would be a very dry read with not much useful everyday information to be gained. I was glad I hadn't paid good money for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as all of the hype., Jan. 25 2013
Christine (Dartmouth, NS) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The End of Illness (Hardcover)
Out of the many "health" books that I have read, I found myself bored with this book. I would often drift or skim pages looking for gems of wisdom. Don't get me wrong, science does not bore me. I have even read a fair chunk of the other books he recommends along the way. I just did not find this book to be overly revealing on any aspect. I may be too well aware of current health system. It might be eye-opening for some, I guess. Overall I found the book part auto-biographical, part-science journal article/review paper, part cancer book - even though he states in the beginning it is not another cancer book. I found it too heavily focused on cancer, and being a cancer survivor I was not interested in devoting more of my leisure time to reading about cancer. In a similar vein of books, I found The UltraMind Solution to be more revealing and directional.

4.0 out of 5 stars A smarter way to live, May 14 2014
Ce commentaire est de: The End of Illness (Hardcover)
Doctor David Angus has written a brilliant book. He gives some intelligent and evidence based advice on how to approach your health. His advice is meant to keep you healthy, aware and accountable for your personal health. In the book he debunked a number of myths, for example, he explains the futility of taking multi-vitamins, the importance of statins, the absolute necessity of keeping moving and a lot more. At the end of each chapter Angus gives some health rules, an effective way to distill the advice given in every chapter. The concept of developing a partnership with your doctor was eye opening and some simple advice on how to maintain maximum health in your body is easily adaptable. Although David Angus in an Oncologist the book is not about cancer but a holistic look on how to maintain maximum personal health. Holistic to the extent where he has given advice about how to eat effectively, including what to eat, what not to eat, how to eat certain foods and how not to eat certain foods. This incredible book is a New York Times Bestseller and will change your paradigm on how you view good health. Before starting any diet or taking some fad advice read this book renowned and educate yourself for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book to make you think a little differently, March 5 2012
Lucie (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: The End of Illness (Audio CD)
This book (mine on CD) is a very interesting look at various aspects of how we deal with 'health' and 'illness'. Even if you will find some of the info surprising or would like to disagree, this is an eye opening book, well worth the time. The info is referenced to many studies and the overall perspective will make you think differently next time you visit your doctor or browse your grocery store. A great look at our health and medicine as a whole, as well, getting pointers for our daily living. Easy to understand, no big medical words to slow you down. I got through this in a few days while sitting in my car during the rush hour. A great way to make you think.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Medicine, Feb. 26 2015
Ce commentaire est de: The End of Illness (Hardcover)
The author's idea of health and disease prevention seems to be to have everyone's genetic data recorded so that any health issues can be treated with drugs. Never mind the destructive side effects; forget about natural therapies. He even recommends statins for those who don't need them. Obviously he has much to gain from supporting Big Pharma. What a pity that such a smart man has taken this direction. The book made me very angry. I felt that it should be re-titled "The End of Health". Sorry I paid money for it; much more sorry for those who may be influenced by it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly worthwhile reading, Feb. 20 2012
Tom Harpur "Author of The Pagan Christ" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The End of Illness (Hardcover)
Agus has good evidence from statistics from large clinical trials to support his claim that our widespread supplementing with vitamins can potentially have negative affects, interfering with the body's ability to control itself, since the body is always trying for homostasis and will heal itself it it can. Included is lots of interesting data on whether many major illnesses are caused from genetic or environmental sources.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting reading, Oct. 10 2013
Ce commentaire est de: The End of Illness (Hardcover)
This is a very interesting concept of health.
Basically go back to basics and stop popping pills we do not need!

5.0 out of 5 stars My husband read this book and was so impresses by the practical outlook we bought it for our son for Christmas., Jan. 11 2013
Ce commentaire est de: The End of Illness (Hardcover)
I never read the book but my husband did and was quoting from it all the time. The practical health information so impressed him we bought it for our son for Christmas. I asked him how many stars it deserved and he said five,so I submit this for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read book for anyone who is (or isn't) health-conscious, March 4 2012
Ce commentaire est de: The End of Illness (Hardcover)
In this book, Dr. Agus elegantly summarizes some of the most significant clinical findings in recent years that pertain to the study of aging and disease. The opinions presented are supported by a wealth of published research, much of which points to inflammation as a key player in the onset and progression of many forms of illness, including cardiovascular disease and cancer. In viewing the human body as a system that depends on a delicate homeostatic balance, the author shows us how illness in one part of the body, and treatment thereof, can have unforeseen consequences elsewhere in the system. Rich with information, the book offers the reader simple guidelines to follow to control the controllable health risks that we face on a daily basis, even those that we never previously viewed as risks at all. This book is not the final word on health and prevention of disease, nor does it claim to be; however, it will challenge you to think about illness from a novel perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it , read it , live longer and better!, Oct. 26 2014
Big Bill - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: The End of Illness (Hardcover)
Written by a Doctor it contains great insight into many topics that your own Doctor might discuss with you if he only had the time.
A manual on how to keep yourself well , it will absolutely change you for the better.

The End of Illness
The End of Illness by David B. Agus (Hardcover - Jan. 17 2012)
CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 18.80