summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Pets All-New Kindle sports Tools Registry

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 16, 2016
Personally I am very sceptic of swallowing more drugs which in itself have serious side effects, just as a profilactic. I will take drugs only if absolutely necessary.
I am not hostile towards modern Western medicine or pharmaceuticals. It has at times performed wonders and prolonged and increased quality of life and longevity. I disagree with gobbling statins because I am a certain age or as a profilactic. Good for some of us with definite health problems, not good for others if there is not a clear problem. This is my personal view, others may have a different preference.
The author appears to be a distinguished physician. I am just not comfortable with his take. Judge for yourself.
For me the book is a 2 out of 5.
on May 30, 2015
Great
on March 6, 2015
I learned lots from this book including a new way to look at cancer - not as a disease as we normally look at it.
on February 26, 2015
The author's idea of health and disease prevention seems to be to have everyone's genetic data recorded so that any health issues can be treated with drugs. Never mind the destructive side effects; forget about natural therapies. He even recommends statins for those who don't need them. Obviously he has much to gain from supporting Big Pharma. What a pity that such a smart man has taken this direction. The book made me very angry. I felt that it should be re-titled "The End of Health". Sorry I paid money for it; much more sorry for those who may be influenced by it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 26, 2014
Written by a Doctor it contains great insight into many topics that your own Doctor might discuss with you if he only had the time.
A manual on how to keep yourself well , it will absolutely change you for the better.
on May 14, 2014
Doctor David Angus has written a brilliant book. He gives some intelligent and evidence based advice on how to approach your health. His advice is meant to keep you healthy, aware and accountable for your personal health. In the book he debunked a number of myths, for example, he explains the futility of taking multi-vitamins, the importance of statins, the absolute necessity of keeping moving and a lot more. At the end of each chapter Angus gives some health rules, an effective way to distill the advice given in every chapter. The concept of developing a partnership with your doctor was eye opening and some simple advice on how to maintain maximum health in your body is easily adaptable. Although David Angus in an Oncologist the book is not about cancer but a holistic look on how to maintain maximum personal health. Holistic to the extent where he has given advice about how to eat effectively, including what to eat, what not to eat, how to eat certain foods and how not to eat certain foods. This incredible book is a New York Times Bestseller and will change your paradigm on how you view good health. Before starting any diet or taking some fad advice read this book renowned and educate yourself for life.
on December 8, 2013
Very interesting perspective on living a healthy life. So much distraction and lack of concrete evidence in the field of medicine, disease and health that we forget how complex our bodies are and how it just reacts and heals itself. There is no "magic pill" and we need to take control of our health!
on October 10, 2013
This is a very interesting concept of health.
Basically go back to basics and stop popping pills we do not need!
on July 2, 2013
I was looking for information on whole health. This was provided. It is a good addition to my health library.
on April 11, 2013
I was fortunate enough to read this challenging book before my annual physical, copyied the questionaire and completed it. When I asked my physician if he had read it, he replied that he wouldn't read a book that could put him out of business.
Notwithstanding this reply, I was pleased that the tests he prescribed for me were all covered by Dr. Agus and he asked that I call him to discuss the results.
The book especially appealled to me because it made practical sense in directing me to consider my body's health as a system that could get out of sync. I am retired and able to eat, sleep and exercise at virtually the same time each day. As Dr. Agus suggests, I find this helpful.
I also find that his recommendation to keep moving an important part of maintaining my health. As it happens my doctor prescribes a satan and a low dose aspirn as well as a thyroid stimulant and nothing else; like Dr. Agus he believes there are side effects to most drugs. As a result of Dr. Agus's book, I have cut down on the supplements I take and limited my vitamin C to the winter months when I am getting less sunshine.
It is a great book that focusses the reader on his or her health in a practical and useful manner.