5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Dirk Pitt Novel
I have recently just started reading Clive Cussler's series of books about Dirk Pitt and his adventures. This is about the 5th book I've read in the series and I have loved every book so far, and this book is no exception.
Published on May 12 2004 by farvers@sbcglobal.net

3.0 out of 5 stars AGAIN: The Super Invicible, Adventure Magnet: Dirk Pitt
Dear reader, you are well warned: If you are on vacation and you see Dirk Pitt... get the heck out of the man's way! Something spectacular is about to happen and he will most certainly find himself involved.
Published on May 8 2001 by Keith Hunt

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Dirk Pitt Novel, May 12 2004
This review is from: Treasure (Mass Market Paperback)
Treasure includes everything you would expect from a Dirk Pitt novel; action, suspense, mystery and comedy. I loved all of the action and suspense, which was on almost every page of the book, plus I was able to laugh at the jokes and humor in the book. It kept me reading the book for hours at a time, never able to put it down.
If I had to pick out the worst points in the book, I would choose the parts that had to do with politics. I found those parts to really bore me. I would rather read more about Dirk Pitt and his adventures than about politicians in Washington having a meeting. But those parts only do show up a few times in the book so it's not too bad.
Overall Treasure was exciting and like most of Clive Cussler's books, was a great read. Now on to the next Dirk Pitt adventure!

3.0 out of 5 stars AGAIN: The Super Invicible, Adventure Magnet: Dirk Pitt, May 8 2001
This review is from: Treasure (Mass Market Paperback)
Here we go again... Same, same, same, same... Cussler starts off with an historical perspective to a mystery (the lost library of Alexandria), brings us to present day with the almighty Dirk Pitt (a plane crash and ancient ship wreck in the arctic). Somehow Pitt falls face first into something that is about to be the destruction of everything we know if he doesn't race in by superhuman means and save the planet from certain destruction.
Did this guy learn to write books after memorizing 1930's comic books or Doc Savage novels?
The action and adventure keep you reading, as usual. As far as adventure and storyline go, this may be one of the more entertaining Cussler selections, but dear reader may find as I have that with invincible characters and action such as these, it is difficult to read one Cussler book right after another. If you can't stomach much more, go and read about ten really horrible books and then pick up a Cussler novel. It will seem like the best thing you've read in a long time. Any person's opinion of a story is only a reflection of what they have already or recently experienced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 5-Star Winner from Cussler, Oct. 18 2000
This review is from: Treasure (Mass Market Paperback)
Wow! What a premise...what if the biggest and best treasures of the Alexandria Library were spirited away and hidden someplace NOBODY would EVER think to find them...? We are talking about THE greatest artifacts known to the ancient world, and could they actually be in TEXAS?!? Well that is just a PART of what is happening here. A fanatical Mexican leader is brewing up a volcano that is about to erupt on the American/Mexican Boarder with potentially catastrophic results. But this too is just a PART of what is happening in this wonderful novel. As usual Pitt comes across an amazingly terrible bad guy (I just wonder HOW Cussler makes these guys even worse than the previous guys...) who is not above ANYTHING to get what he wants. The difference here is that we don't have just ONE bad guy, but TWO. From our first meeting with Dirk Pitt's Father (Senator Pitt) to a hair raising will-they-make-it-or-won't-they death trap at the bottom of the world aboard a cruise ship that literally disappears...if you wanna know more, you just HAVE to pick up this complex thriller. A bit more than the usual plot-twisting for Cussler, but don't worry, he doesn't fail in his resolve to give us what we want: a FUN BOOK TO READ. Way to go Clive! As far as reading this book goes, JUST DO IT!

1.0 out of 5 stars Mystery to me..., July 22 1998
This review is from: Treasure (Mass Market Paperback)
I felt the same way about this book that I felt about books that I was forced to read in Junior High; you feel you have to read them to get some sort of credit (grade), but there is no real enjoyment involved. I had to read this book (not this particular book, but any cussler book) to see what the big deal was. I had seen people read him on the bus I ride to work and I read a few of the reviews here and wanted to see if I was missing anything. Turns out I wasn't. I read Treasure with disappointment and started Shock Wave but couldn't finish it (got to page 78 before my interest just simply dwindled away). I wish someone could articulate (without the flowery prose contained in these reviews) what this guy's attraction is. I found him to be totally lacking in the skills that writers such as Tom Clancy and Thomas Harris show so effortlessly. His audience seems to be foursquare in their praise for him, however, and that mystifies me. It really does...

3.0 out of 5 stars All right, May 29 1999
This review is from: Treasure (Mass Market Paperback)
TREASURE was the first Clive Cussler novel I had ever fully read. I'd got SHOCK WAVE out of the library but my interest wandered after about five pages because it was so boring. I then read TREASURE. The opening sequence is better than most. Most of them have a boring sequence of a boat sinking, but TREASURE opens with a battle scene which is far better than any other. The next thing to happen is an airline disaster, then a zany car chase down a ski slope (it's the best scene in any Dirk Pitt book of the three that I've read), a shootout at a chalet in the snow, another shootout in a mill, and finally and hand-to-hand fight scene inside the library of Alexandria. As I read the other Clive Cussler books, I realised that the dialogue was terrible for an experienced author (my favourie exerpts are "His diabolic mind" and "a sandy beach")and there are many, MANY boring scenes with politicians in every single book. Okay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its depth is epic., Oct. 3 1999
By A Customer
I have just read it for the second time and it once again proved to me that Clive is one of the best writers in the world. The story line is unbelievable - A rich family is trying to take over Mexico and Egypt, to do this they have to kill a lot of people, but guess who comes to save the day, Dirky!. As the story unfolds, a treasure so important is intorduced, the GREAT LBRARY. (The treasure has to do with not only the bad guys but also the plot!!) Anyway, tonnes of action in between and the story rolls along and as usual an absolutely ammazing ending - eg, over half a million mexicans charging the U.S army!! An acient Roman soldier appears and almost saves the day, the greatest trick of them all! If you read it you will never want to watch a movie or read another book unless it is about this book!!

2.0 out of 5 stars The Pitts, July 29 2001
Grant Miller (Marietta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This is not a bad story if you can enjoy an unrealistic protagonist like Dirk Pitt. He's tall, handsome, tough, inexplicably rich, has military rank and civilian standing, and enjoys political clout through his father (Senator Pitt) and friends. Basically, he's Batman without the costume and with more explosive gadgets. The women in the story (a doctor and a diplomat) gush at his patronizing remarks about their good looks and hurl themselves at his feet (and into his bed). The best thing Clive Cussler brings to this story is his experience and knowledge of deep sea operations. The story boasts plenty of action, but it's all a little too unrealistic to hold my attention. I also disagree with the jacket's comment about Clive Cussler being a lot like Dirk Pitt. No real person is like Dirk Pitt.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure in its own way!!, July 8 2000
This review is from: Treasure (Mass Market Paperback)
Treasure is by far one of the best adventure books ever written!! I don't think there was a boring spot in the book. A plane crash in Greenland... The discovery of an old Roman ship carrying history in its cargo hold... An awesome car chase down a ski slope... A hijacking of a cruse liner holding the presidents of Mexico and Egypt hostage... The discovery of the Alexandria Library... Hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants flooding into the American southwest... and finally Dirk face to face with his enemy( or should I say enemies). If you don't take my word for it, then read it and see for yourself. There are just a few flaws in grammer, but otherwise it is a GREAT read!!! Read it, or you will miss out on a truly great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read Despite Some Farfetched Improbabilities, March 5 2000
This review is from: Treasure (Mass Market Paperback)
Overall, "Treasure" was a great read. Finally Cussler decided to include Senator George Pitt, Dirk's father, into one of his novels. However, I was very surprised with how this father-son relationship was construed in the story. It was not what I had expected. The ending to the story was very interesting. However, there were some traps that the "bad guys" fell into that you know would never have worked in real life. Despite this minor weakness in the ending, the whole story was a real page-turner. I recommend it to all Clive Cussler fans for his high-value, entertaining stories have never dwindled since the dawn of "Mediterranean Caper". "Treasure", for me, was a wise buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cussler's Best, Jan. 19 2000
I loved it.
Cussler's best books weave history together with adventure and mystery to keep you turning the pages. Treasure is his best effort, ranking just above Raise the Titanic. While you can't imagine the events of the novel actually coming to pass, the plot is solid enough to avoid the "Oh, come on!" that accompanies most of Cussler's plot twists (which reminds me: avoid Sahara).
Besides, realistic analysis of ethnic geopolitics is not why you read a Dirk Pitt book: You want to read a story about a cool guy who always says the right thing at the right time and who comes up with new ways to be courageous at every turn.
Treasure is that book.

Treasure
Treasure by Clive Cussler (Mass Market Paperback - April 26 2011)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.69