5.0 out of 5 stars Great foundation for anyone to build off of
I would consider myself young at 20, and discovering this book has changed my life. It provides a great foundation for communication with the people you work with and love. I've given this book as gifts numerous times, and i've read it numerous times myself, always coming out with something new.
I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to change their...
Published on March 5 2004 by Sean Reyes

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the politcally challenged
When it comes to self-help books, I look for results. Personally, I couldn't finish it. I started out gun-ho and created these great elaborate charts to list my activites and "sharpen my saw". I never got past two weeks of making that my habit. I did eventually get into the habit of a simple "To-Do list" and mark items as A, B, or C in respect to Covey's quadrant...
Published on Dec 2 2002 by nepenthe

5.0 out of 5 stars Great foundation for anyone to build off of, March 5 2004
Sean Reyes (Walnut, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to change their direction in life, to get to where they want to be, and become the person they've dreamt of.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life......, April 8 2004
I was reading a Dale Carnegie book at jury duty 10 years ago when a fellow juror told me he had also read the book I was reading. He then said he had read pretty much every book out on personal growth and that hands down the very best one in his opinion is the 7 habits. This guy just lit up as he started talking about how much it had changed his life, so on the way home I bought it for myself and started reading it that night. I could not put it down. It rang of so much wisdom. The thing that I love about the 7 habits is that it is a systematic, wholistic, and step by step approach. If you follow the 7 habits you will figure out what your true mission in life is and also have a framework to achieve it. It touches on everything that is important Family, Friends, Health, etc. Like the guy at Jury duty told me, I am telling you. This is the best book ever written on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute classic, May 11 2002
Dr. Eduard Van Kleef (Berlin, Germany) - See all my reviews
Stephen Covey today counts as one of the absolute top-management gurus. If you read this book, you'll understand why.
The book is divided into four parts.
The first part deals with the fundamentals that everything else builds upon: paradigms and principles. An important theme running through all of Covey's work is that of ethical behaviour and delivering one's contribution to society as a necessary ingredient of succesful living.
In part two the author shows you a number of principles that help you to deal with yourself, such as taking responsibility for your own actions and prioritizing your goals.
Part three talks about working with other people, addressing such issues as win/win thinking and active listening.
The fourth and last part talks about sustaining the things that you have learned and continuing to grow.
This book is not a push-over. It has a high level of abstraction. Also, part of this book sounds more like philosophy or even religion, which will not sit well with everyone. However, the author is perfectly correct in first discussing basic values and priorities ("doing the right things") before discussing techniques for raising efficiency ("doing things right").
Also, it is important that you realise that this is not a self-help book for people who have real specific issues on their hands (self-discipline, traumas, lacking social skill etc.) They will probably need to deal with those specific issues first, before they will be able to take the maximum out of this book.
For those who feel that their life is reasonably sorted out, but would like to go (much) further, this is a must-read book.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars In-Depth Exploration of Yourself, Oct. 20 2002
A. Petrotchenkov (Moscow, Russia) - See all my reviews
I think this is a good book to read. Not everything in this book works for me but I can use some of the things mentioned in this book. The book teaches me how to have a good relationship with my friends, family, and co-workers.
As you know, habit, according to psychology, is a conditioned response to stimuli. This means that it can be learned through repetition or reinforcement. Unlike Pavlov's dogs, people are highly complex and dynamic and each reacting differently to the same or different situations.
According to Stephen Covey the 7 habits are:
1) be proactive,
2) begin with the end in mind,
3) put first thing first,
4) think win/win,
5) seek to understand, then to be understand,
6) synergize,
7) sharpen the saw.
It has a high level of abstraction. Also, part of this book sounds more like philosophy or even religion, which will not sit well with everyone. It is also important to reread this book because it will talk to you in different ways at different stages in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Will Help You Become More Efficient and More Effective, Jan. 23 2011
I loved this book since I am someone who is always trying to become more efficient and better at what I do.

There were a number of things about this book that I felt really struck home for me, and they were:

1. Proactive people can and do effect the future. While I can't control what happens to me, I can control my reactions to it and in doing so can feel better about the impact of my actions.

2. Directing my efforts can only come about when I am clear about what my goal is. Until I understand what my dream or my goal is, I can't effectively direct my actions towards that goal. For me, this was a big key in terms of helping to direct my energies towards my goal.

3. The concept of "first things first" was an eye opener for me. It distilled the difference between doing something that is "urgent" versus something that is "important". It was easy for me to be pulled away from important tasks to attend to something that is urgent, but I learned that focusing on Quadrant two (important but not urgent) would get me to me goal. Some of the things in Quadrant two are: planning, preparation, prevention, and relationship-building. All these things helped leverage my time and helped me towards achieving my goal.

4. Thinking Win-Win was another valuable lesson for me. An important distinction from my previous interpretation of this axiom was that win-win does not mean compromise. It means finding solutions to problems that truly benefit both sides of a dispute. The beauty of this approach is that it allowed me to focus my energies on finding great solutions instead of wasting time and effort trying to persuade someone of why my side of the dispute was better.

5. The fifth habit is - Seek First to Understand. At first I thought this was about letting the other person speak first, but the important distinction for me was really understanding the other person's point of view. The beauty of this approach is that when they felt I was truly listening to them, it made them much more open to listening to what I had to say and less judgmental about my point of view.

6. Habit #6 is all about synergizing. Finding a synergistic solution means finding a solution that is better than either party might have first proposed. When I let me guard down and release from my defensive posture regarding a point of view, and then work with the other person, the results have been surprisingly good.

7. The final habit is just getting better at all the other habits.

Another book that helped me achieve more was "GOAL! Your 30 Day Game Plan for Business & Career Success" Goal!: Your 30-Day Game Plan for Business and Career Success It moved me into action right away with regard to achieving a goal. It had me working on my goal from Day One and, importantly, kept me motivated through a series of exercises that had me thinking about my goal from the perspective of having already achieved it - a very powerful tool. I highly recommend this book for help with goal achievement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read!, June 28 2004
People who aspire to exhibit effectiveness in their professional and personal lives should read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People written by Dr. Stephen R. Covey, because this book provides a collection of values and principles by which an individual can achieve accomplishments in his or her daily life, meet long-term goals, and develop habits to promote personal change.
This book is based on abstract values and principles rather than concrete facts. Therefore, it is difficult to determine whether the author remains an objective observer or whether his emotions and beliefs cloud the information. Dr. Covey did not directly engage in scientific collection of research data or information to validate the ideals of The 7 Habits. The book also gives no indication that he had any safeguards or controls governing his research manner or methods. Dr. Covey simply expressed that he reviewed 200 years of success literature as part of a doctoral program, which assisted him in identifying the seven habits. Consequently, the validity of the information presented rests largely with trusting in and identifying with Dr Covey's credentials, personal perspectives, experiences, and practical examples.
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People encourages readers to strengthen core principles of integrity, honesty, and human dignity through concepts of independence and interdependence in seven easy steps. Dr. Covey uses these principles and structures a path toward human effectiveness that can easily be applied to both business and personal relationships. The book was easy to read, and the examples were realistic and engaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Books Of All Time, May 13 2014
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change (Paperback)
I read this book 20 years ago and have lived my life by it. Since then I've read many more wonderful works including Anthony Robbins, Wayne Dyer, Brian Tracey, Four Agreements (all books and authors I love) but still reference 7 Habits as my 'go to' for foundational growth, values and life vision!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic is Great Primer to Getting Ahead in Global Economy, March 29 2006
Mary Larson (St Catherines, Ontario) - See all my reviews
In THE & HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE, Covey establishes a simply defined mental and discipline framework that will inevitably lead to amazing productivity improvement in all areas of one's life.
Dealing with both inter-personal and intra-personal aspects of one's organization, each "HABIT" builds on the previous one to establish a character full of integrity and continually improving results. This is no one-minute easy to find, trendy fad remedy, but a principle centered guideline that seeks to create long-term chiseled habits. Just as muscles continually need to be worked on to increase their mass and output, habits must continually be "sharpened" to solidify their effectiveness.
We've used this book in our corporate training programs for many years with great receptivity from participants.
Also to note, we've been using THE BLACK BOOK OF OUTSOURCING (By Brown and Wilson) in our most recent staff training programs internationally, as well as in the US and Canada. We've gotten excellent feedback that it is very useful in preparing all levels of the organization for the new global economy.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best business/success books out there, May 27 2004
Unfortunately, during my experience with corporate America I've had several business/success books thrust upon me. The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People is the only one that was worth reading.
This book, coupled with the First Things First training I received at work has had an enormous impact on me. Five years later, I still organize my life based on my mission statement, roles, and goals. I plan weekly and take time out to Sharpen the Saw. I don't always live up to the seven habits, but at least I'm going in the right direction. Periodically I pull this book out of my bookshelf and flip through it to reinforce the lessons it contains. It's also one of the few books I've ever bought someone as a gift.
My biggest criticism is that Covey has a tendency to beat you over the head with examples. Numerous times as I read the book I thought to myself, I get it, move on. My other big complaint is that this book coined the word "proactive," which is believed to mean the opposite of reactive, but actually means that the person using it is an idiot and needs to resort to using made-up words to appear highly effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hot book for over 13 years now, May 1 2004
By A Customer
I first heard of this great book back in 1991. Since that time, I have read and reread it a whole bunch of times. I have had to buy several copies. My first one fell apart. Second one was all dog eared. Third copy I lost. So now I am on my fifth copy.
This bookis unlike any other personal development book you will ever read. Covey's philosophy is all about "Win-Win" and total effectiveness.
When I read the 1 star reviews, I have to chuckle and wonder what their lives must be like. I wonder what they read, or even if they read. I wonder how they spend their time (playing pc games like Grand Auto Theft and watching movies like Motel Hell no doubt)
I wonder what they do for a living? When people attack very credible authors like Stephen Covey, I have to wonder just how low they can go and just what goes into their minds? If you ask me, these people need this book more than anybody.
7 Habits is all about communication. It is from the Dale Carnegie concept only adjusted for the times. It will show you how to improve your personal and business relationships. How to become a better parent, spouse, employee or employer.
Needles to say, I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I went through 4 copies. And if something happens to my 4th copy, I will get a fifth.
Great book from a great man. Also recommend Super Self another super book about effectiveness.

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change