4.0 out of 5 stars Wheat from Chaff in yoga, Feb. 13 2012
This review is from: The Science of Yoga: The Risks and the Rewards (Hardcover)
I have been a "consumer" of yoga for over 20 years. I enjoy it immensely but I have never pursued it to extreme levels.
As I have a scientific background, it always bothers me about the claims that yoga teachers often parrot out about the benefits of yoga. Everything from weight loss to curing every disease to " yoga is the greatest total work out there is". Often they preface "scientists have found that yoga blah blah blah". The latest was last week when a Birkram teacher informed us "The standing Bikram series is the equivalent to running for 40 minutes at 4 mph." I understand this to be nonesense.
I really appreciate the second chapter of William Broad's book about the scientific research on yoga. Like any other form of exercise, yoga has strengths and weaknesses. Let's focus on yogas strengths and to get the cardio, we can do something else to get that. Let's cut the BS and love yoga for what it is.
I think yoga consumers should start a movement to hold these teachers to task who claim unproven benefits of yoga. Too many of them sound like modern snake oil salesmen. It is difficult because we are supposed to respect our teachers but William Broad's book gives us a new approach to this discussion.

5.0 out of 5 stars very informative!, Dec 21 2012
This review is from: The Science of Yoga: The Risks and the Rewards (Hardcover)
Attention all yoga practiionners! This book informs you about all kind of injuries that can be caused by a non-assisted practice of yoga and how this very ancient discipline is becoming a product in non-prepared teachers. It also tells you all the benefits of a good practice under supervision. Great book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great work!, Nov. 15 2014
G. Chart "cafemate" (Montreal,QC,CA) - See all my reviews
Well writtten, dynamic and interesting. Great work!

The Science of Yoga: The Risks and the Rewards
The Science of Yoga: The Risks and the Rewards by William J Broad (Hardcover - 1931)
Used & New from: CDN$ 3.69