4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!
Published on Feb. 16 2004 by Houretta

In the sweltering heat, Father Tom is in the confessional, doing his duty. But today will be a different sort of day, for a murderer will enter the confessional and ask for absolution for a sin he is going to commit. But what scares him the most: this murderer plans on killing his sister, Laurant.

When Laurant doesn't hear from her brother, she becomes...
Published on Feb. 23 2009 by GinRobi

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, Feb. 16 2004
I really loved this book!! This book is all about suspense, thriller with a touch of romance. I am a fan of Julie Garwood and I have read all of her books with no exception. With her historical romances, she enchanted me into reading more and more, however this book was different and she proved to be a master as always. I would like Ms. Garwood to write more of this style of romantic suspense thrillers, regardless of some of the other reviews. Go ahead and read this book and you be the judge! The characters are well defined especially the killer. His thoughts and feelings are perfectly portrayed. The secondary characters, Noah and Tommy were very interesting. They kept me laughing... Noah is the best!!

3.0 out of 5 stars "Heart Pounding" beginning and great ending, but drags in the middle., Feb. 23 2009
GinRobi (Timmins, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews

When Laurant doesn't hear from her brother, she becomes concerned, scared even, and heads to Kansas to see him, fearing that his latest test results confirmed that the cancer was back and he was having chemotherapy treatments. When she gets there, she's happy that the cancer has not returned, but her world is still torn upside down, for a murderer wants her, and for the kindhearted woman she is, she doesn't understand how she can be the target of a madman.

Nick Buchanan, an FBI agent and Father Tom's best friend since they were kids, is supposed to be on vacation, but the second he hears from Tom, he heads straight to Kansas and vows to protect Tom's sister. When Laurant suggests using herself as bait, Nick argues: he doesn't want here anywhere near Holy Oaks. But the rest of the team, including Laurant, disagrees with him, for if Laurant was to run and hide, how long would she be constantly looking over her shoulder. She won't allow it, and takes the decision out of his hands when the killer calls, taunting them all.

When a suspect is eventually caught, Nick can't believe it. Are his instincts out of whack? Could it be that he really is tired and due for a vacation, to recharge, to get himself back in the game? For his instincts are screaming that it's not right: that the whole thing was just too easy. And even while everyone is assuring him that the evidence is building against this suspect, that they have their man, Nick believes they're wrong. Question is, if they are, will Nick still be able to save Laurant?

**I really liked the beginning. The killer, his whispers, his words, gave me the chills. I'm sure I'd have reacted the same as Father Tom had. And I liked Tom. A very down-to-earth priest, he's kind, selfless, never shirking his duty no matter how much he wishes he could.

Nick, strong, selfless, he's also very determined. Even when he tries to keep Laurant at arm's length, she still managed to get under his skin.

Laurant, a strong female character. She cares, almost to a fault, about everyone around her. Strong, kind, she helps in anyway she can. Egging the murderer on might not be a very bright idea, but as unselfish as she is, she's not thinking about herself - she's thinking about the women out there that could end up substituting her until the murderer gets his hands on her, and she can't accept that.

I liked the mystery, and what action there was, was terrific, especially the climax of the story. When the suspect is arrested, I believed as Nick did - it had been too easy. No mystery I've ever read had ever been that easy. What bugged me a little was that the middle of the story seemed to lag - it was almost like this could have been a 250 page Harlequin romantic-suspense novel - the center seemed like "filler". Stuff that happens that really didn't need to happen. And most of it was all talk. Had there been more attacks of some sort, more action, I think the story would have been a lot better. But for what there was, it was good. I think, LOL, my favourite part was, knowing how very much Nick hated to fly, he flew over an ocean to get Laurant back. Very sweet ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars SPECTACULAR SUSPENCE THRILLER FOR GARWOOD, March 21 2005
Sherri (Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
Absolutely loved this book and Mercy, just finished Murder List, cant wait to buy the next one...I love Julie Garwood's writing and am thrilled that she can write all types of books and I will still be her biggest fan!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book I have ever read!!, July 12 2004
Jamaica (Atlanta, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
Julie Garwood is now one of my favorite Authors. The first time I read Heartbreaker i was astounded and speechless. This book was extremely good. the characters in this book are so passionate and nick and laurent's relationship is on another level. I recommend this book to anyone intrested in reading a great book. You will stay up all night reading this book and you wont want to put it down! This is literally on my top 2 books of all time list.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stark Raving Mad, June 2 2004
Kris (Oxnard, CA) - See all my reviews
You're a romance writer, but you want to do a "genre shift," kind of like going from baseball to football. What do you do? You write a romance and then plop down right on top of the romance "a crazy person," a control freak who is strong and intelligent but more than a little sick: his name is Stark, but he's masquerading as Justin Brady, a simpleton. No matter, he can't fool Mr. Hero, that is, Nick the FBI Guy. Nick is all-around alpha-male what-every-woman wants, so how can he lose? You see the problem here? We all know what's going to happen: Down goes Stark, up goes Nick, he gets the girl (whoops, woman) in the end. Ever heard that one before?
On the good side, the book will keep you occupied and the paperback copy has a nice type font with space between the lines, making it easy to read. Lots of conversation. But way too much "kitchen and bedroom" talk, for me, but for romance lovers, of course not.
Jules Wesson is the only character who doesn't follow a formula: Jules, the unliked FBI Guy in Charge ("jerk"), does a good deed at the end and never gets his comeuppance, at least not in this book.
Which brings to mind another problem: Where did Stark come from? Obviously, he has a past history, but it's only alluded to in this book and never really explained. Something about Nick shooting Stark's wife, who was trying to kidnap a child? Wow! There must be a prequel, but the book cover never mentioned it.
Well, you don't absolutely need the prequel, but I still say Stark was a little too crazy to be believable. But, as a good writer should, Garwood offers something for everybody: Noah's cool. Diximus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Thriller, March 8 2004
Elizabeth "lking173" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Now everyone has their favorite author, one of mine is Julie Garwood. I have enjoyed her historical romances immensely and now she has switched to more contemporary fare. Father Madden, while taking confession, receives a horrible message from a madman. He tells Father Madden he is a killer and he has already chosen his next victim, Father Madden's sister, Laurant. Father Madden telephones the only person he knows who can help protect his sister, one of his best friends, FBI agent, Nick Buchanan. Nick Buchanan meets Laurant and while trying to protect her, and stay one step ahead of the killer, finds himself very attracted to her. This is your typical "hunted heroine" novel, with the hunky FBI agent keeping the heroine safe while they are on the run, and a demented killer stalking their every move. Still, the story flows, the characters connect, and I loved the story. I would highly recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Julie Garwood, Jan. 23 2004
i'm sorry...what were we reading again!? A romance, suspense, murder mystery thriller...what?!? because i couldnt tell from the book!
I love julie garwood. I've read every one of her books. I have every one of her historicals. This one was a major disappointment. While the plot seemed interesting, i didnt feel the characters were so developed nor the story line. Nick, the FBI agent was supposed to take care of the herione and also fall in love with her in the meantime. He did the first well enough but the other part, im not too sure. Anyway if you're thinking of picking this one up because its written by Garwood, dont! It'll only upset you. If you've never read a Garwood before and want to try this out, stop and pick one of her historicals like The Prize, Honor's Splendour, The Bride etc.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just okay, Dec 22 2003
By A Customer
I had heard good things about Julie Garwood, so I looked forward to this book. What a disappointment! The story is obvious, and Laurant and Nick are cardboard characters. They have no chemistry, yet we're supposed to believe there's this love between them that they have to fight to resist. Plus, the use of cliches is distracting - at one point, she stated Nick "had the body of a Greek god" and a few minutes later when Laurant tried to seduce him, Nick "looked like a deer caught in the headlights." For some reason, I kept picturing a Greek god caught in the headlights. And the humor with the old ladies fell awfully flat. I heard her historical romances are better, so maybe I'll try that. And the FBI in this book seemed awfully unprofessional.Finally, the "false suspects" - the property buyer who was foaming with rage and the kid who flattened the tires, were so obviously false as suspects they seemed ludicrous.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously Different!, July 30 2003
By A Customer
I have been a long time fan of historical romances. I put off reading this book for over a year, even though it is written by one of my favorite authors. Now that I have read it I am looking forward to reading Mercy and Killjoy, Garwood's other suspense-romance novels. I was very pleased with this book. I was able to guess the ending about three quarters through the book...but I still enjoyed it! A good read!

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy read with a nice plot twist., May 15 2003
This was my first Julie Garwood book after exploring, and devouring, the contemporary romantic suspenses of Linda Howard, Heather Graham and Karen Robards. While Ms. Garwood's romantic heat between the leads could be more developed, the story is fast-paced and a plot twist at the end was unexpected.
Readers will enjoy the secondary characters of Noah and Tommy as well as the fiesty female lead, Laurant, and the alpha male, Nick. Don't hesitate to read if you're looking for something light on a rainy weekend.

Heartbreaker
Heartbreaker by Julie Garwood (Mass Market Paperback - May 31 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01