5.0 out of 5 stars Most Inspiring Read!
Published on March 22 2012 by Gaurav Sharma

2.0 out of 5 stars Gives short shrift to a central influence in Jobs' life
Completely misses the boat about the key influence of psychedelics on Steve Jobs! A failure to manifest journalistic curiosity about the central source of creative motivation in Jobs' life. Steve himself claimed that those who had not taken LSD would never understand him. Maybe Walter Isaacson didn't, but then what possessed Jobs to choose him as a biographer?
Published 5 months ago by Richard Yensen

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Inspiring Read!, March 22 2012
This review is from: Steve Jobs (Hardcover)
I already knew a fair bit about jobs but this book is a true biography of a true legend. His story had to be documented and documented well. I am glad Walter Isaacson wrote this book. I doubt anyone else could have told the story in a better way. It does not try to sugarcoat Jobs' personality and takes you on a journey through a brilliant yet crazy mind of Jobs. Oscar Levant once said 'There is a thin line between genius and insanity'. Nothing personifies jobs better.

Any person in business must read this book. The most successful CEO of all times - this is a story of how self-belief, tenacity and iron-will can change the impossible into possible. Focus and follow your vision rest is mere distraction. If you are sane enough you'll disapprove of him, if you are crazy enough, you'll understand him. Here's to the crazies...

4.0 out of 5 stars We Did It My Way, Oct. 26 2011
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Steve Jobs (Hardcover)
If you're like me the first thing that strikes in reading this book is how mythological it is.

Put up for closed adoption by unmarried parents who eventually married, rejected by the first would be adoptive parents, then adopted by working class parents, it would be difficult to imagine a more inauspicious beginning, or a more auspicious outcome. Steve Jobs would grow up to prove that an apple can fall quite far from the tree, and still blossom. Abandoned, the chosen one, special.

Firstly, I don't think there is any such thing as an illegitimate child, only illegitimate parents.

The public life and business achievements have been well chronicled, and I didn't want to read a book about Apple. I wondered about the family life, the relationship with Bill Gates, were they collaborators or competitors, some of the other cast of characters. I wondered how much of Apple's great accomplishments were due to Jobs, what effect his passing would have on the future of Apple. I wondered about how he got the Beatles music, and the reputedly fractious relationship with Apple records.

Isaacson has put together a narrative never less than fascinating about a mercurial man. My opinion of Jobs did not change as a result of reading this book. He already struck me as being a highly driven type A personality, narcissistic, aggressive, perfectionistic. Certainly these traits contributed to both his successes and his setbacks, and made him a difficult man to get along with, but those high standards imposed by a drive for perfection, and a demanding lack of compassion, would also draw out of people abilities, creativity, and great accomplishments.

Certainly, Isaacson's unvarnished portrait, means many people will not find Jobs the man appealing, and will not condone certain of his behaviors, and I commend Jobs for his honesty in allowing that. Perhaps the biggest surprise that he let go of his controlling tendencies, and did not seek to approve the book.

Ironically at age 22, he would find himself in the exact same position as his adoptive parents at that age, and would not acknowledge his out of wedlock child Lisa. He would eventually reverse that position before Apple went public agreeing to a DNA test, and making an arrangement. I was interested to discover that he has a lost sister Mona Simpson, an author who has written a book, A Regular Guy : A Novel, the main character based on Jobs and the relationship with his daughter Lisa.

Nemesis follows hubris with punishing fall from grace at Apple, betrayed by his hand picked underling, fired by the company he founded, exiled, buying Pixar off George Lucas for $5 million, selling it to Disney for a reputed $500 million, eventually returning as conquering hero to regain his throne, after many lean years the kingdom would once again prosper.

Among his influences were The Beatles, particularly John Lennon, also rejected by both his parents, and raised by an aunt. The Beatles being greater than the sum of the individual parts would inpsire his own management style of making better products through teamwork. Perhaps more surprising was his relating to Captain Ahab from Moby Dick, and that despotic tyrant King Lear.

The strength of this book, unfettered access to Jobs, the uncensored commentary and insights, of family, friends, business associates, even enemies, and critics.

I enjoyed the story of how he met his wife Laurene Powell. Her name is quite similar to my name, Laurence Power, and she has a degree in Economics. I enjoyed the humor and pranks of the early days with Wosniak. I particularly like calling the Vatican prank pretending to be Kissinger, collecting bootleg Dylan recordings, and illicitly mimicing the long distance beeps. I also enjoyed reading of the reality distortion field sometimes employed effectively, sometimes not. He would one day meet his father in a restaurant but neither would be aware that they met.

The book did answer most of my questions, yet I do not give it five stars. Here is why:

Recently, I have bought several quotation books, and when I learned Jobs illness was fatal, I started looking up quotes by Jobs.

Some quotation books such as Bartlett, Forbes Business quotes, and so forth do not have any Jobs quotes. Oxford and Yale each have two. In fact most quote books do not have many if any quotes by business leaders. Hopefully, this will be addressed. In fact, the The Ultimate Book of Investment Quotations (The Ultimate Series) book I found to be the only decent book that quotes business leaders and investment experts.

If you look at the Stanford commencement speech for example, available where video clips are seen, Jobs has many good quotes, and has great presentation skills. In fact, I understand there are about 100 books due to be published about Jobs.

While Isaacson's book contains many good quotes, most of these are by other people about Jobs, by Bill Gates, Larry Ellison, Andy Grove, Al Gore and many others. Perhaps my favorite was the Herman Hermits quote by Bono. What I found curiously lacking were so few great quotes by Jobs himself. When I watched the Stanford speech on youtube, I wrote down six or seven quotes from that speech alone. Isaacson references the speech but barely quotes it.

Certainly, he could have sprinkled some of Jobs best quotes throughout the book. If he had done this I would definitely give the book five stars. Hopefully, this will be addressed in future editions and printings. That would make both an honest depiction and a fitting tribute to a great visionary.

Jobs: The Beatles all want to be on iTunes, but they and EMI are like an old married couple. They hate each other but can't get divorced.

Jobs: Picasso had a saying, good artists copy, great artists steal.

Alan Kay maxim adopted by Jobs: The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

Tim Cook: I realised very early that if you didn't voice your opinion he would mow you down. He takes contrary positions to create more discussion because it may lead to a better result. So, if you don't feel comfortable disagreeing, then you'll never survive.

As I read the book, three quotes by George Bernard Shaw came to mind:

The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that surround him. The unreasonable man adapts surrounding conditions to himself. All progress depends on the unreasonable man.

If I give you an apple, and you give me an apple we each have an apple. If I give you an idea, and you give me an idea, we each have two ideas. Jobs certainly turned apples and ideas into dollars).

Some people see things as they are and ask why. Steve Jobs dreamed things that never were and asked, why not?

As a result we have iPad, iPod, iPhone, iTunes, iMac, iBooks.

I think you will enjoy it, if you choose to get it, and I hope this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely great!, Nov. 15 2011
This review is from: Steve Jobs (Hardcover)
This book is highly detailed because the writer did over 200 interviews with Steve Jobs, I would strongly recommend this book to people who enjoy biographies and non-fiction books!
Its insanely great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book --- Very informative, Nov. 27 2011
This review is from: Steve Jobs (Hardcover)
I didn't know anything about Apple and Steve Jobs but I did buy an Apple lap top just one year ago so I did have an interest in knowing about the inventor of the Apple dynasty. I found the book extremely interesting and informative. I have never read about a more diverse person before so it was incredibly interesting to learn the lifestyle of a man who is now acknowledged to have been a genius.

It was also very interesting to read about the "politics" of the computer world, the competition between the brands and the endless striving for perfection to be the very best in the world no matter what the cost to his health. He truly did give his life for his love of the challenge to be the very best in the whole world and thankfully, he will always be remembered for what he sought to achieve. He did achieve his aim and I feel so very sorry that he had to give the ultimate price to achieve it.

He WILL aways be remembered as the VERY BEST, he deserves this and his products will live on. It will be interesting to know if they can continue to be at the forefront of new technology. Time will tell but it will not damage his reputation. H was the FIRST and will always be remembered and revered for what he contributed to the computer world.

A most wonderful book that I have recommended to family and friends. Also, an amazing price at Amazon!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly inspiring and touching, Nov. 16 2011
Y. Lu (CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steve Jobs (Hardcover)
I read every page of this book, I felt very moved afterwards. This book has stirred up some profound thoughts about life, work, all the good and bad traits of human being. It laid out Steve's life in front of readers in the utter most honest manner, and I found the writing to be plain yet sophisticated (like an Apple product).

I have much much more respect for Steve and his work after reading this book, it helped me know Steve as a genius and a flawed human being.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but,, Nov. 11 2011
This review is from: Steve Jobs (Hardcover)
I found the book captivatingly brilliant. Isaacson gets a solid grade "A" for his homework, and the manner in which he structured his book. That said, the one thing that stood out to me like a sore thumb, perhaps because I'm a step father who hates it when people differentiate me as being something other than my daughter's "real" dad, is that a number of times in the book, when speaking of Steve's lifelong search for mentors, a reference is made to him "looking for a father figure". Nothing could be further from the truth. Indeed, the lessons he learned from Paul Jobs shaped him for life. He had a father. We all seek out mentors, but we never consider those mentors as parents unless we missed out on parenting. Jobs did not. That said, from one author to another, It is a solid work that will stand the test of time. Thank you for being so painstakingly thorough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serendipity, Dec 3 2011
Brian F. Toney (Kingston, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steve Jobs (Hardcover)
I am a long-term Macintosh user and Apple supporter and Steve Jobs has always held a particular fascination for me. So it was with eager anticipation that I looked forward to the publication of his biography. I was not disappointed. Jobs was an extraordinarily complex man and it is no surprise that his life was full of twists and turns, reflecting his volatile personality. The book is almost 600 pages long but clearly his biographer had to decide what to leave out or otherwise the work could not have been contained in a single volume. Jobs' role in the founding of and subsequent involvement in the story of Apple was a case of the right person being in the right place at the right time.
Walter Isaacson's book has the hallmark of having been carefully researched and his writing style is such that once I started to read it I had difficulty putting it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly inspiring, what an amazing man., Nov. 3 2011
This review is from: Steve Jobs (Hardcover)
From the day I got this book I couldn't put it down. I kept wanting to know more about Steve and the kind of person he was. He is truly inspiring and one of the great visionaries of our time. He had such passion. Love or hate Apple, this is an amazing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audiobook version is fantastic!, Aug. 20 2013
This review is from: Steve Jobs (Audio CD)
I'm not a super techie person and I'm not a long time loyal Mac user. My ipad is the first and only apple product I have owned. But reading this book (or listening to it on audio to be precise) has been a wonderful experience on many levels. Steve Jobs is a fascinating person. It takes a passionate a personality such to have accomplished all the things he did. This book is also an exciting history of the digital revolution. Told from the Apple perspective, changes in technology and consumer devices that happened in chaotic and unrefined fashion each culminate in an apple device that represents a mature manifestation of a technology. I find it interesting that the book, which often mentioned jobs' desire for simplicity was also able to tell the history of the era in similarly simple terms. This was a great book. I would come home from listening to it in the car and talk endlessly about it and be excited to go on a long drive so I could hear more. Kudos to Dylan Baker for great narration! The only downside to having read this book is I may now become an Apple only person... And I may have developed an unhealthy desire for great functional and aesthetic design.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific book about a legend and his legacy, Oct. 12 2012
Len (Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Steve Jobs (Hardcover)
Not only does the personality of Steve Jobs make for an interesting read but his life is also a story about the birth of the personal computer, the development of ipod, iphone and ipad, and the creation of a fantastically successful animation company. He and is friend, Steve Woznick presented the world to its first personalized computer back in 1977. Then, he and his company introduced the first point and click graphical interface with the Macintosh computer in 1984. Not long after, his irascible, uncompromising disposition got him fired from the very company he’d helped to create. In 1986, unable to retire on the millions he’d already made off Apple, Mr. Jobs bought a fledgling computer animation company from George Lucas who was in the middle of a nasty divorce. Later known as Pixar, the company was having difficulty selling animation software. To demonstrate its capabilities the company had hired an animator from Disney by the name of John Lassetter. One of his short animations by the name of “Luxo Jr.” depicting the relationship between a desk lap and its smaller progeny was nominated for an academy award in 1986. Two years later, Lassetter would win an academy award in the same category for his film “In Toy.” Pixar would team up with Disney to produce Toy Story and the Pixar legend was started.
In the mean time, at Apple, the Macintosh was not selling well and there were no prospective winning products on the horizon. The board of directors was desperate for inspiring leadership and they believed that Steve Jobs could provide it. What followed was a string of legendary product successes that may never have been without his leadership. First, there was the imac followed by the ipod, then, the ipod touch followed by the iphone and finally the ipad. Mr. Jobs and his chief of design, Jonathon Ive created products that no one had imagined could exist nor had any idea they might want. These were products with beauty and functionality that only a person with Mr. Jobs’ faith of vision and eye for perfection could have created.
The most surprising success was the Ipad. It was received with skepticism when Mr. Jobs first introduced it in 2010. Most people wondered why anyone would want an ipad. Yet, when they got one in their hands and could see what they could do, wanted one. The ipad could be used for games, getting emails, surfing the internet, playing music and watching movies and provided publishers with the first legitimate platform that they could use to download their newspapers and magazines in a form that a consumer would want to purchase.
Unlike Bill Gates, Steve Jobs did not like the idea of an open platform. He believed that the integration of hardware and software would make his computers and electronic gadgets, simple, easy and easily integrated. A user guide would never be necessary. As famous as Mr. Jobs’ genius is, so was his temper known for its ferocity and cruelty. How integral his temperament may have been for the success of his products will never be known. Ironically, after having been the dominant architect behind the products that have been created by Apple, Mr. Jobs believes that the significance of his legacy will depend on the future success of his company. How possible that may be without its driving force is a question that can only be answered with time. “Steve Jobs” is a terrific book about a legend and his legacy.

Steve Jobs
Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson (Hardcover - Oct. 24 2011)
CDN$ 36.99 CDN$ 23.19