countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Home All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on July 22, 2016
Cool read, but I think this book is a little bit overrated. The slow pace, especially in the middle of the book, is problematic. Fans of Stephen King's IT are in for quite the nostalgia trip though!
on July 3, 2016
For the most part I loved the book, but I have to say I hated the ending. :(
on June 15, 2015
Not a bad read.
on January 5, 2015
Good Stephen king book, the description of the late 50's and 60's are great and he has the talent to make us feel like we are there. The plot is great but the end was abrupt, I thought that after 600+ pages the ending could had been more elaborate.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 7, 2014
This was my first Stephen King novel and there were a lot of positives. It is a fluid, mature writing style; with a wide-ranging vocabulary and copious allusions. I found the English typically American. Since the setting mostly involved the Southern US and small-town communities of the 1950's and early 60's, there was a lot of slang and expressions of local coloring. King did an outstanding job of describing his characters and their times. There was also an abundance of detail regarding events leading up to Kennedy's assassination. On the negative side, the story seemed to drag on at times. We were, after all, obliged to wait those five long years (1958-63) along with our hero, Jake/George, as events slowly unfolded. He had his moments, however, notably his relationship with Sadie. But the novel ends on a very sour note. Without giving away too much, I thought King's entire take on time travel, and the butterfly effect, was excessively morose. As I put the novel down I felt cheated and angry. Like Jake Epping, I had put a lot of effort into it (reading is not my forte; and for Jake - his goal was his mission). I had had great expectations. The denouement offered little by way of redemption. It is always difficult to identify with a character who takes a beating both literally and figuratively. For all his pain and good intensions, I felt Jake deserved a better fate.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 10, 2014
This is my least favourite Stephen King book of all time. I found it a difficult and trying read.....and yet there is something there that makes you keep turning the next page. Its an interesting story that seems familiar in some way as most readers will have a connection of some kind,or knowledge of,those days in 1963. And there is always the King surprise that is in all his books.
Just OK for me....
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 25, 2012
I've never read such a long book that went nowhere. Being Stephen King I expected a story with decent plot that was well written. '11/22/63' delivers on both counts. It was an interesting perspective on the Maine and the Southern U.S. at the time plus an insight into the life of Lee Harvey Oswald and his wife and friends. I was also treated to a love story between two unlikely heroes, a high school English teacher and the school librarian. What I did not expect was the pointlessness of it all. Mr. King refers constantly to a harmony between the present and the past which would have its premise in the idea of the world being a giant machine. Unfortunately, that reassuring image of the world provided by Newtonian physics has long been usurped by the chaotic one premised by quantum physics. Some might find his ideas interesting. I just found them silly.