5.0 out of 5 stars Best parenting book for frustrated parents

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough in this
Published on March 25 2010 by RenLady

5.0 out of 5 stars Best parenting book for frustrated parents, Nov. 13 2003
"aschroeder13" (High Point, NC USA) - See all my reviews
My mother-in-law, who is a child psychologist, introduced me to this book. She's been using it for years in her practice. I have been irritated by other books that seem to talk exclusively about how to help children while ignoring parents' needs. This book has great real-life examples and doesn't come down on stressed out parents for getting angry or saying dumb things. Instead, it gives practical exercises and rules for helping your relationship. Some of them are hard to do. Habits are hard to change. But it has made a world of difference between me and my 3-year-old. I'm so glad to have read this book so early in her life. I think it will spare us some of the heartache my mother and I experienced, mostly due to poor communication skills.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Jan. 31 2012
Original book. The cartoons make the book an easy and quick read. Good information. The book covers many scenarios with your kids and provides insightfdul hints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-saving!, Nov. 2 2010
Angie Maksymetz (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
I read chapter one in the morning before my 3-year-old son woke up and most of our problems were solved by lunchtime! I went from wondering why I became a mother to smooth sailing. I didn't realize that I was denying everything he said or thought because in my mind I was the reasonable adult and he was the difficult toddler and if he thinks that vegetables are gross then I'd have to correct him because he is wrong and they are healthy. After I began acknowledging his point of view with the techniques in the book, he seemed to trust me enough to listen to and cooperate with me, instead of resisting everything I told him to do because I was resisting and squashing all of his opinions. Great illustrative examples - it's my favourite parenting book ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always Thankful For This Book,, Sept. 18 2010
Reflection Haiku "Lily Wang, Author" (California, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Children are like computers - they can do great things but they speak their own language. This book teaches parents how to talk to their kids by first listening and acknowledging children's feelings. This 7-chaptered book is packed with scenarios that parents can relate to, comic strips to keep readers motivated and simple assignments and techniques that deliver results. From the methods you will learn to avoid turning simple conversations into argument, learn how to engage children's willing cooperation, use alternatives to punishment, set firm limits with goodwill, and encourage children's autonomy. Difficult concepts made easy through their effective writing and the recommended exercises make practice art of parenting perfect. A life-saver to many families including my own, HOW TO TALK SO KIDS WILL LISTEN will benefit you and your family greatly. If you have more than one child, Faber and Mazlish's other book, SIBLING WITHOUT RIVALRY is also highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, a difficult step, May 14 2003
Maureen G. Burkhart (North Hollywood, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have read this book from cover to cover several times - it's an easy read. But like chess - easy to learn, difficult to achieve mastery. Many of us need to learn methods to use in communication that were not modeled to us as children - a tough call. But with practice, this positive approach to communication will not only help you with your child, but with your spouse, your friends, co-workers, bosses, etc. As a friend, parent and educator, I've given this book away numerous times (and bought it numerous times!)
As for the first review above concerning the particular feedback "You must be so proud of yourself"... In using those words, you also acknowledge your positive feelings towards the child - a double whammy because children learn how to reflect on their own behaviour and give themselves the kudos they may not get in "real life".

4.0 out of 5 stars Divorced Father Uses Book With Mother and Stepfather, Nov. 8 1999
By A Customer
I see my son only 3-4 times per year but talk regularly with him, his mother, and stepfather regarding parenting issues. I've used this book for input into the telephone discussions we have. I've strongly encouraged his mother and stepfather to read and periodically review this important book. Our sixteen year old son is flexing his teen oats. We need to constantly work to find positive, growth-oriented solutions for and make him aware of the consequences of the negative situations he finds himself in. This book helps immensely.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough in this, March 25 2010
I think that the communication ideas in this book are great for both children and adults. However, they can apply only to children who are old enough to have some ability to reason. Despite what authors of this type of program claim, you simply can't usually have a problem-solving discussion with a two-year old. Also, I was frustrated by the way the authors seem to think that if you just use the right words, your child will be able to discuss a solution to a problem and be happy about it. There is no advice for what to do in situations that are truly non-negotiable, or what to do if your child continues to be upset after trying these methods.

A book that explains better how to talk to your kids, and what to do when it isn't working, is "Connected Parenting" by Jennifer Kolari.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, Feb. 4 2014
This review is from: How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk (Paperback)
This is the most pratical and helpful book on parenting that I have come across! It's easy to read and the real life examples are excellent! I bought this book for my family and friends just to keep on hand! I would recommend it to anyone interested in becoming a good communicater with children! Thanks! Denise Pressman

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, Nov. 28 2013
Good approach, quite same concept with the sibling book. Respect the child and the child learn how to respect you and the others. It is very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - For Relating to Children and Other Adults!, Oct. 8 2013
Worth a Read! This book talks about empathy and relating to people in a way that shows you are actually listening. It also encourages children to think and to problem solve. It is full of wondeful examples. I found the techniques are also useful when talking to adults. I no longer say "I would do it this way." Instead I say "That must be _________ (Frustrating/Annoying/Etc.)" It has made me a better listener and communicator in general.

I love that this book does not try to get kids to just behave but allows them to work through their feelings and find solutions to their problems (with the parent's guidance.)

In parenting I would recommend pairing this book with "Kids Are Worth It" by Barbara Coloroso.

ARRAY(0xb2b22760)

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk
How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Elaine Mazlich (Paperback - Feb. 7 2012)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71