5.0 out of 5 stars EXACTLY the same book
I just want to mention that Plenty (white cover) and Plenty: Vibrant Vegetable Recipes From London's Ottolenghi are EXACTLY the same book! The only little differences are :
- the first is the original book published 4 the UK (2010), the other in the US (2011)
- the first uses grams, millilitres, the other uses cups, ounces and pounds. Both use tsp and tbsp...
Published on April 10 2011 by Serge Pilon

3.0 out of 5 stars Tried 3 recipes, not really impressed
When I bought this book, I was very excited because the recipes all seemed so delicious, in terms of the actual ingredients - and I love the idea of cooking just vegetarian sometimes - and let's face it, salad and steamed veggies can get a little boring.

I made 3 recipes so far: Itimar's bulgar, stuffed onions and the sweet potato wedges with lemongrass creme...
Published 12 months ago by Nona_69

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars EXACTLY the same book, April 10 2011
Serge Pilon - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Plenty: Vibrant Recipes from London's Ottolenghi (Hardcover)
- the ingredients appear in the order they are used in the second book
- their covers are different but all images and recipes inside the books are EXACTLY identical
- some ingredients are named differently : double cream for heavy cream, caster sugar for sugar, broad beans for fava beans, etc.
- the quantities in the second book are really rounded : 400g asparagus is 1 lb
I bought the second book by mistake and I prefer the first one for the metric units.

What a wonderful book !

5.0 out of 5 stars `At the centre of each dish, .. is an ingredient, one ingredient.', Dec 1 2010
Jennifer Cameron-Smith "Expect the Unexpected" (ACT, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
In his introduction to this book, Yotam Ottolenghi writes that that each dish is based around one of his favourite ingredients. This has led to an idiosyncratic organisation of recipes: some components (such as aubergines) have their own chapter; others are organised botanically (such as brassicas) and others reflect associations that are part of the way Ottolenghi shapes his menus.
These recipes are based on meatless dishes and reflect eclectic influences including the Middle East, South East Asia and Latin America. The book is full of delicious, mouth-watering recipes.

The chapter headings may give some idea:

Roots
Pulses
Cereals
Pasta, Polenta, Couscous
Fruit with Cheese

The recipes are accompanied by anecdotes and by mouth-wateringly beautiful photographs. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. The amount of preparation required varies between dishes: some are quick and easy, others will require more time. But it's worth it. There is a recipe here for just about any occasion.

I first borrowed this book from the library, but quickly realised that I needed my own copy.

A note for American readers: the ingredients are listed in grams and millilitres rather than cups and ounces.
Jennifer Cameron-Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Love At First Read, April 21 2012
When I first heard about this book, I was very excited by the buzz and that it was a vegetarian cook book made it all the most enticing to me... the stamp of approval from Bonnie Stern who is no slouch in wondeful cook book department herself didn't hurt either.

What I can say is this: it is a very beautifully put together book. Lovely photos and innovative ideas with fresh spins on old faves, but this is not a book for vegans or those wanting to have a moderate diet which I guess is not really the point of this book at all. It celebrates vegetables in a classy yummy way and it is the book I would look to to create a luxurious vegetarian feast for guests that were okay with dairy.

Don't get me wrong: I love this book; it is a pleasure to read and the recipes work well. I wish I could eat this way every day but alas must strive to be vegan more often than not because I m just too old to do otherwise. Having said that, this is my go to book for a splurge and for entertaining. I love all of the flavours and they take me back to my time in Israel.

Buy it and savour!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty: Vibrant Vegetable Recipes from London's Ottolenghi, Nov. 5 2012
This is a wonderful book. I have made only a few recipes so far, because every time I try one (i.e. crunchy pappardelle), we crave it and make it several times. The flavours are fresh and "vibrant" and multiple ingredients compliment rather than overwhelm each other.

My son only eats raw vegetables and is very fussy, but actually likes recipes from this book. It must be because the vegetables are front and centre, enhanced by the recipes.

A family favourite - and I have a lot of cookbooks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, July 7 2013
Love this cookbook. Often uses ingredients that may not be in your cupboard so need to plan ahead.... but worth doing!

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, June 19 2013
Marilou Champagne (montreal, canada) - See all my reviews
simply amazing, great flavors from any recepies and so much great variations! I would recommand it to anybody! this is the best

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, March 26 2013
This is an amazing book with wonderful recipes. I am not a vegetarian, but I use many recipes from this book and they are all delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cook book, March 10 2013
I love this book . I am not a vegetarian but I am often wanting to make more vegetarian meals for our family and our friends so this is perfect for my needs. Plus the photos are done so well that they leap off the pages and onto your table
This is my favorite go to cookbook for fast and easy delcious meals to accompany meat or not

5.0 out of 5 stars Best veggie cookbook ever published, Feb. 5 2013
This book is brilliant. Have been vegetarian for 30 years, vegan, raw food, macrobiotic, , you name it,.I have an extensive food prep book collectionThis is the best book I've come across in all that time. The recipes simply WORK! They're delicious, easy and quick to prepare, having just the right twist to make them gourmet quality. The ingredients are also easily available. Healthy , delicious food that's easy and quick to prepare. The best of the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars love this book, Jan. 12 2013
As a 75% vegetarian, this is a real boon to our the scope of our choices. To have a new gamut of flavouring, spicing, combining ingredients alone, is well worth the price of admission into Ottolenghi's world. It is a beautiful book, like Jerusalem, a pleasure to read as well as to cook from. As in his second book, his use of oils is unnecessarily liberal. Adjust accordingly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb3b3699c)

Plenty: Vibrant Recipes from London's Ottolenghi
Plenty: Vibrant Recipes from London's Ottolenghi by Yotam Ottolenghi (Hardcover - March 9 2011)
CDN$ 43.00 CDN$ 26.96