5.0 out of 5 stars Grab this book and settle in
If you're looking for a book to get lost in for a few hours, this is the one. This book explores the impact on a family of a man's dual life, opens your eyes and teaches you some lessons at the same time! I highly recommend it!
Published on June 10 2004 by semi_sweet_nell

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, but not great literature
Published on Sept. 9 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, but not great literature, Sept. 9 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Great Pretender (Paperback)
I read this book due to the recommendations on here and although I would say it is an interesting read, I wouldn't put it in the class of great literature. It is a pretty standard novel with some interesting characters, but I would probably put it as a cross between a Danielle Steele novel and a Sidney Sheldon. I'm not sure many people who are in a book club would find it very challenging. I found the writing kind of awkward in parts, but I wish more time was spent on characterizations and less on plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grab this book and settle in, June 10 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Book Reads like a Soap Opera, July 16 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I bought this book because of the positive reviews of other readers. The writing is poor and the story reads like a soap opera. I would not recommend this book unless you want something light and fast to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dark, darker, darkest, June 11 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I was pulled into this book like a moth to a flame. I kept reading to see where it would end. Endless graphic sex scenes between one character, and then another who was cheating on another one. The whole premise of the book was intriguing, but the author never pulled it off. Not one character had any redeeming qualities. Flat dialog ran throughout. This is such a dark story, it makes you feel that the author holds absolutely no faith in humankind. It went from chapter to chapter, as each character spiraled down and out of control.If you love to watch "B" movies and soap operas, you could probably tolerate this book.It seemed to be a good book, a page turner, which it was, but the ending was as flat as the dialog.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't!!!!!, May 20 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I read the other reviews and was intrigued. Unforunately, though, it was a futile and disappointing effort. It was like watching a train wreck; I could not pull away. I kept at it, hoping something would improve. When I finished, all I could think was " I can't believe I read the whole thing!"
I love to read and am easily entertained. I have never been moved to write a review, before, but want to prevent someone else the pain of going through this read. Sorry, to the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you wonder about your relationship, June 17 2004
Kelly (Greenville, SC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I could not put down this book until was done reading it. It makes me want to keep a closer eye on my husband. The author did a great job with this book, the ending was a complete surprise!

5.0 out of 5 stars This one's for the mature audiences! A true pageturner!, May 12 2004
cbooth7 (Ada, Oklahoma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
If you're looking for a book that grabs you at the very beginning, this is it. If you want a book that will leave your head spinning, this is it.
Written at a marvelously quick pace, Black still manages to convey anger, frustration, revenge, malice, jealousy and deceit, while balancing it against love, regret, and family endurance. The reader truly cares about the fate of the two families involved in this dysfunction. This is a powerful work that's clearly not intended for prudes, or young readers. The characters are real, and the actions definite. A caution: if you are a prude about explicit sexuality, this is not the book for you. However, for those who don't mind the eroticism aspects of reading, the couplings are riveting.
I don't tend to think about a story once I've moved on, but the ending scene is so stunning, so desperate....so powerful, and so well-told that, yes, I still think about the situation two days or so after finishing the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fast-paced, stimulating read, April 21 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I heard about and became interested in this book when several of my online reading freinds were mentioning it and I now see why it has made such an impact on them...not only is it gripping, and a real page-turner, but it also held a useful message for unfaithful men. Married men have a very big responsibility, it is important that they choose to honor their wives and family instead of play deadly games. It is obvious that Reginald Brooks, played games too long and two wonderful women were hurt and their families torn apart. Take note all married men.
Kristie Hanrahan

5.0 out of 5 stars A clever first novel; proof of a major new talent, April 16 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I loved this book. The story is certainly clever and unique. I especially identified with the state of mind of the naive girlfriend Renee after Reginald "confessed" about being in a long marriage, and I understood the difficulties and why should couldn't let go.
Through the indiscretions of the characters, this story highlights the importance of honesty, integrity, and trust, and without being the least bit sappy or sentimenal it offers an unmistakable moral. It is also very straightforward and gripping. I look forward to a follow up very much. Millenia Black is definitely a major new writing talent and I hope her next book will be out soon. PVG

4.0 out of 5 stars It got me, April 14 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
Not my usual fare, but I bought this one because the premise sounded too intriguing to pass up. Although I've never met people with such "dramatic lives", I still found that I couldn't put the book down. This was mainly due to the mystique of how Reginald Brooks would reconcile the mounting conflicts from his decade-long deception and the fun of trying to find out which family he'd wind up with in the end. I would recommend this novel for readers and anybody who loves an eventful novel.

The Great Pretender
The Great Pretender by Millenia Black (Paperback - July 22 2010)
CDN$ 17.17 CDN$ 17.04