5.0 out of 5 stars Grab this book and settle in
If you're looking for a book to get lost in for a few hours, this is the one. This book explores the impact on a family of a man's dual life, opens your eyes and teaches you some lessons at the same time! I highly recommend it!
Published on June 10 2004 by semi_sweet_nell

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, but not great literature
Published on Sept. 9 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, but not great literature, Sept. 9 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Great Pretender (Paperback)
I read this book due to the recommendations on here and although I would say it is an interesting read, I wouldn't put it in the class of great literature. It is a pretty standard novel with some interesting characters, but I would probably put it as a cross between a Danielle Steele novel and a Sidney Sheldon. I'm not sure many people who are in a book club would find it very challenging. I found the writing kind of awkward in parts, but I wish more time was spent on characterizations and less on plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grab this book and settle in, June 10 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Book Reads like a Soap Opera, July 16 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I bought this book because of the positive reviews of other readers. The writing is poor and the story reads like a soap opera. I would not recommend this book unless you want something light and fast to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dark, darker, darkest, June 11 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I was pulled into this book like a moth to a flame. I kept reading to see where it would end. Endless graphic sex scenes between one character, and then another who was cheating on another one. The whole premise of the book was intriguing, but the author never pulled it off. Not one character had any redeeming qualities. Flat dialog ran throughout. This is such a dark story, it makes you feel that the author holds absolutely no faith in humankind. It went from chapter to chapter, as each character spiraled down and out of control.If you love to watch "B" movies and soap operas, you could probably tolerate this book.It seemed to be a good book, a page turner, which it was, but the ending was as flat as the dialog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you wonder about your relationship, June 17 2004
Kelly (Greenville, SC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I could not put down this book until was done reading it. It makes me want to keep a closer eye on my husband. The author did a great job with this book, the ending was a complete surprise!

5.0 out of 5 stars A well written plot, July 14 2004
Jill (Charleston, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
The plot to this story was very interesting to read. As to the ending it was totally unpredictable

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Beach Read, June 15 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
Sex, lies, deception. More sex. More deception. This book has all the makings of a great summer beach read. Several of the plot twists left me completely shocked -- I had a hard time putting it down. A dark and compelling story.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one's for the mature audiences! A true pageturner!, May 12 2004
cbooth7 (Ada, Oklahoma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
If you're looking for a book that grabs you at the very beginning, this is it. If you want a book that will leave your head spinning, this is it.
Written at a marvelously quick pace, Black still manages to convey anger, frustration, revenge, malice, jealousy and deceit, while balancing it against love, regret, and family endurance. The reader truly cares about the fate of the two families involved in this dysfunction. This is a powerful work that's clearly not intended for prudes, or young readers. The characters are real, and the actions definite. A caution: if you are a prude about explicit sexuality, this is not the book for you. However, for those who don't mind the eroticism aspects of reading, the couplings are riveting.
I don't tend to think about a story once I've moved on, but the ending scene is so stunning, so desperate....so powerful, and so well-told that, yes, I still think about the situation two days or so after finishing the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fast-paced, stimulating read, April 21 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I heard about and became interested in this book when several of my online reading freinds were mentioning it and I now see why it has made such an impact on them...not only is it gripping, and a real page-turner, but it also held a useful message for unfaithful men. Married men have a very big responsibility, it is important that they choose to honor their wives and family instead of play deadly games. It is obvious that Reginald Brooks, played games too long and two wonderful women were hurt and their families torn apart. Take note all married men.
Kristie Hanrahan

5.0 out of 5 stars Most original family-related story I've ever read, April 19 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I would venture to say this is one of the most original family-related stories I've ever read. The big-wig Reginald Brooks is orchestrating a double life and was never caught until he decided it was time to fess up.
I found it very hard to put down and was up for a long time reading it. Each character has his own voice and I enjoyed it immensely and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys complex stories about family relationship and dysfunction, even if you don't normally like dysfunctional stories because after all....it is a part of life. Albeit, perhaps no one in your own family has lived a double life....or have they? Hmm...that's why I would recommend this book!

ARRAY(0xb56f8be8)

The Great Pretender
The Great Pretender by Millenia Black (Paperback - July 22 2010)
CDN$ 16.80 CDN$ 15.62