5.0 out of 5 stars Be entertained and become alert, it can happen to anyone
This novel is very interesting to read, if you chose to ignore this story it is true anyway. but Lord, please put it in a movie and let me recline with my baby I don't intend to leave and enjoy the graphics of it's effect, yeh!.
Reginald Brooks chief protagonist only followed his natural human instinct lets face it. You must want to be an angel and is stricken with...
Published on May 10 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, but not great literature
I read this book due to the recommendations on here and although I would say it is an interesting read, I wouldn't put it in the class of great literature. It is a pretty standard novel with some interesting characters, but I would probably put it as a cross between a Danielle Steele novel and a Sidney Sheldon. I'm not sure many people who are in a book club would find...
Published on Sept. 9 2005

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This one's for the mature audiences! A true pageturner!, May 12 2004
cbooth7 (Ada, Oklahoma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
If you're looking for a book that grabs you at the very beginning, this is it. If you want a book that will leave your head spinning, this is it.
Written at a marvelously quick pace, Black still manages to convey anger, frustration, revenge, malice, jealousy and deceit, while balancing it against love, regret, and family endurance. The reader truly cares about the fate of the two families involved in this dysfunction. This is a powerful work that's clearly not intended for prudes, or young readers. The characters are real, and the actions definite. A caution: if you are a prude about explicit sexuality, this is not the book for you. However, for those who don't mind the eroticism aspects of reading, the couplings are riveting.
I don't tend to think about a story once I've moved on, but the ending scene is so stunning, so desperate....so powerful, and so well-told that, yes, I still think about the situation two days or so after finishing the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Book Reads like a Soap Opera, July 16 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I bought this book because of the positive reviews of other readers. The writing is poor and the story reads like a soap opera. I would not recommend this book unless you want something light and fast to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what makes reading good storytelling so darn good!, March 2 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
Reginald Brooks has manipulated his way into a comfortable double life situation. It becomes not so comfortable for Reginald and he feels his days of successfully hiding both families from each other are numbered. He runs to his best friend for guidance as he has done for years, which contributed to his success in managing the double life. His friend's advice leads Reginald down a road that would bring most men to their knees in consequence.
My opinion of this book is very high. The pages HAD to be turned until the story was completed, and I still yearned to be told more about what happened after that still. The experience I had while reading it is what makes reading good storytelling so darn good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you wonder about your relationship, June 17 2004
Kelly (Greenville, SC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I could not put down this book until was done reading it. It makes me want to keep a closer eye on my husband. The author did a great job with this book, the ending was a complete surprise!

5.0 out of 5 stars A clever first novel; proof of a major new talent, April 16 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I loved this book. The story is certainly clever and unique. I especially identified with the state of mind of the naive girlfriend Renee after Reginald "confessed" about being in a long marriage, and I understood the difficulties and why should couldn't let go.
Through the indiscretions of the characters, this story highlights the importance of honesty, integrity, and trust, and without being the least bit sappy or sentimenal it offers an unmistakable moral. It is also very straightforward and gripping. I look forward to a follow up very much. Millenia Black is definitely a major new writing talent and I hope her next book will be out soon. PVG

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I read this month, May 16 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
This storyline makes the book a real page turner. I am an avid reader and I found this book to be the best I have read so far this month. The author brings us right into the lives of the characters and made me feel as if I knew these volitile people. I loved to hate most of them. The person I liked the most oddly enough was Renee Jameson. No matter what she did, I felt sorry for her.
A very deep and telling story. Makes us realize that a family is not something one should ever take for granted. I hope Millenia Black writes many more novels.....I will be looking out for them so I can read them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fast-paced, stimulating read, April 21 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I heard about and became interested in this book when several of my online reading freinds were mentioning it and I now see why it has made such an impact on them...not only is it gripping, and a real page-turner, but it also held a useful message for unfaithful men. Married men have a very big responsibility, it is important that they choose to honor their wives and family instead of play deadly games. It is obvious that Reginald Brooks, played games too long and two wonderful women were hurt and their families torn apart. Take note all married men.
Kristie Hanrahan

5.0 out of 5 stars Defines the word "page-turner", June 22 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
An utterly delicious tale of self-indulgence, love, lust, betrayal, juicy secrets, excess and all those gripping things we all love to read about...I first read this back in January, and picked it up again for the break of summer. All the characters are so well-drawn, the storylines so cleverly interwoven -- definitely one of the better storylines I've read in recent years! And if the punch of an ending doesn't send you reeling, try another genre, because page-turning fiction rarely gets better than this.

4.0 out of 5 stars It got me, April 14 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
Not my usual fare, but I bought this one because the premise sounded too intriguing to pass up. Although I've never met people with such "dramatic lives", I still found that I couldn't put the book down. This was mainly due to the mystique of how Reginald Brooks would reconcile the mounting conflicts from his decade-long deception and the fun of trying to find out which family he'd wind up with in the end. I would recommend this novel for readers and anybody who loves an eventful novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great Pretender - Millenia Black, Feb. 27 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I read this book on recommendation from several friends. I must say that I was not disappointed. All of the characters are portrayed in such a way as to really make you feel you are only feet away from their dramatic lives, and Black's writing enables you to really empathise with them even if you have never lived their dysfunctional lifestyles.
The plot is spicy and full of zeal, which makes it a real page turner, and I can't wait to get sucked into another one of her novels.
Kelly F.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

The Great Pretender
The Great Pretender by Millenia Black (Paperback - July 22 2010)
CDN$ 17.47