5.0 out of 5 stars Grab this book and settle in
If you're looking for a book to get lost in for a few hours, this is the one. This book explores the impact on a family of a man's dual life, opens your eyes and teaches you some lessons at the same time! I highly recommend it!
Published on June 10 2004 by semi_sweet_nell

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, but not great literature
I read this book due to the recommendations on here and although I would say it is an interesting read, I wouldn't put it in the class of great literature. It is a pretty standard novel with some interesting characters, but I would probably put it as a cross between a Danielle Steele novel and a Sidney Sheldon. I'm not sure many people who are in a book club would find...
Published on Sept. 9 2005

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A clever first novel; proof of a major new talent, April 16 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I loved this book. The story is certainly clever and unique. I especially identified with the state of mind of the naive girlfriend Renee after Reginald "confessed" about being in a long marriage, and I understood the difficulties and why should couldn't let go.
Through the indiscretions of the characters, this story highlights the importance of honesty, integrity, and trust, and without being the least bit sappy or sentimenal it offers an unmistakable moral. It is also very straightforward and gripping. I look forward to a follow up very much. Millenia Black is definitely a major new writing talent and I hope her next book will be out soon. PVG

4.0 out of 5 stars It got me, April 14 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
Not my usual fare, but I bought this one because the premise sounded too intriguing to pass up. Although I've never met people with such "dramatic lives", I still found that I couldn't put the book down. This was mainly due to the mystique of how Reginald Brooks would reconcile the mounting conflicts from his decade-long deception and the fun of trying to find out which family he'd wind up with in the end. I would recommend this novel for readers and anybody who loves an eventful novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what makes reading good storytelling so darn good!, March 2 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
Reginald Brooks has manipulated his way into a comfortable double life situation. It becomes not so comfortable for Reginald and he feels his days of successfully hiding both families from each other are numbered. He runs to his best friend for guidance as he has done for years, which contributed to his success in managing the double life. His friend's advice leads Reginald down a road that would bring most men to their knees in consequence.
My opinion of this book is very high. The pages HAD to be turned until the story was completed, and I still yearned to be told more about what happened after that still. The experience I had while reading it is what makes reading good storytelling so darn good.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great Pretender - Millenia Black, Feb. 27 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
I read this book on recommendation from several friends. I must say that I was not disappointed. All of the characters are portrayed in such a way as to really make you feel you are only feet away from their dramatic lives, and Black's writing enables you to really empathise with them even if you have never lived their dysfunctional lifestyles.
The plot is spicy and full of zeal, which makes it a real page turner, and I can't wait to get sucked into another one of her novels.
Kelly F.

5.0 out of 5 stars A World of Secrecy, Feb. 25 2004
Tee Johnson (Clearwater, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
The characters in The Great Pretender were all living in some type of "pretender" world. When the main character makes his decision, the cards start tumbling down and this is very exciting to see the family members be affected by his choice and their own secrets. I recommend this novel. It's good reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars De.throned by God given emotion, Feb. 17 2004
A Global man (SOUTH EASTERN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
Mr. Reginald Brooks, oh my God! It seems like the ability to be stealth and furtive in maneuvering skills is more easily employed in affairs that take us down a shamefull street.
Like in the case of Mr. Brooks,he found himself stripped of all the characteristical atributes most men of class try to have for attraction and also self-respect.
After the fact,all of the intoxicated infidelity he lavishly enjoyed, had only served to to say; that men as a whole in order to have a life of genuine cause for respect must resort to restraint in the matter of self-discipline.
Look! As a man , I know how hard it is to be sexually conservative! But it is also true, that if you want it badly enough you can do it. Why? Because it's psychologically possible,and once you have cross the line of temptation you're home free. Of course, that doesn't mean you'd never be tempted again, but you now have a perspective to hold you.
Once we've overcome that problem, we have saved ourselves and the loving families we have created.
Oh! That Girl Millenia Black (Author) has done a masterfull job on this multi-character Novel, quite a sensational rendition. And readers lets' watch out for this writer,it's just a debutante Novel, she is fledging and coming on syrong!

5.0 out of 5 stars Defines the word "page-turner", June 22 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
An utterly delicious tale of self-indulgence, love, lust, betrayal, juicy secrets, excess and all those gripping things we all love to read about...I first read this back in January, and picked it up again for the break of summer. All the characters are so well-drawn, the storylines so cleverly interwoven -- definitely one of the better storylines I've read in recent years! And if the punch of an ending doesn't send you reeling, try another genre, because page-turning fiction rarely gets better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I read this month, May 16 2004
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
This storyline makes the book a real page turner. I am an avid reader and I found this book to be the best I have read so far this month. The author brings us right into the lives of the characters and made me feel as if I knew these volitile people. I loved to hate most of them. The person I liked the most oddly enough was Renee Jameson. No matter what she did, I felt sorry for her.
A very deep and telling story. Makes us realize that a family is not something one should ever take for granted. I hope Millenia Black writes many more novels.....I will be looking out for them so I can read them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars It felt like a movie!, May 8 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
The Great Pretender is well-written, and brilliantly executed. It's like a movie full of drama and edge-of-your seat wonderment.
The main character, Reginald, is not a exactly the man he thinks he is with everything going his way. He is a man with a conscience that shows itself at a time when his family needed him. He makes a grave error but believes it is the right choice to tell Renee part truth and part lie about himself. Renee's instincts are pretty keen and she is eager to marry, as if she foresaw that things were about to fall apart fast. Tracy is led down a path of betrayl and self-realization herself. Being left alone for so many years created a void she filled with something that could only cause more pain in the situation. She comes around and finds out the truth about her feelings and the man she thought she wanted. Finally, a lesson is learned by all...after a high price is paid for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoping there is a sequel..., April 25 2004
Haley Leap (Upstate New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Pretender (Paperback)
Reginald Brooks is a big shot gentleman that is living a dream life. He has a great job at Hart-Roman with a boss that is also a close friend, his best friend has been with him for all of his adult life, he's been married to his childhood sweetheart for almost two decades and they have two beautiful, well-adjusted daughters. However, this was not enough for Reginald. While traveling to Orlando to oversee another division of Hart-Roman's advertising ventures, Reginald meets and takes up with Renee Jameson. They have a young daughter together, Denise.
This begins the split of Reginald's life.
He orchestrates it so traveling to and fro is intertwined with his work for Hart-Roman and as the intringing prologue conveys, for six years, "All was well in Miami." and "All was well in Orlando."
THE GREAT PRETENDER was a fascinating read. The transitions from one scene to the next was quick and fluid and caused me to fly threw the story. Though I am very tempted to give away the ending of this tumultuous plot, I won't. I can only say that the author did such an exciting job of having the ramifications creep up on me that my mouth literally fell open and then I said, "Well, it figures." because it made perfect sense. Why didn't I see it coming? Needless to say, it was an ending I shant soon forget.
Once I reached the end of this story, I do have but one serious complaint of THE GREAT PRETENDER: I have not seen or heard anything about a sequel.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xbffc0810)

The Great Pretender
The Great Pretender by Millenia Black (Paperback - July 22 2010)
CDN$ 16.80 CDN$ 15.62