5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest legal thrillers out there
When I learned that Michael Connelly had determined to pen a legal thriller, I was more than a little worried. Here was the author who had brought us Harry Bosch novels like The Closers, now stepping onto ground trodden nearly lifeless by the likes of Grisham and Martini.
Published on Oct. 3 2005 by Jonathan R. Packham, MA, PhD

3.0 out of 5 stars not convinced
Published on April 18 2011 by mocha

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest legal thrillers out there, Oct. 3 2005
To my delight, The Lincoln Lawyer turned out to be an excellent, gritty and powerful novel. Twice divorced and haunted by ghosts of lost cases past, cynical and ethically indistinct criminal lawyer Mickey Haller is a fine invention, at once fascinating, witty and sympathetic. I rather hope this unique character becomes Connelly's next Harry Bosch. (Promisingly, Haller is Bosch's half brother.)
The writing here is equal to or perhaps even better than Connelly's previous works, at times lyrical and nearly poetic, yet never encumbering superb storytelling. Mickey Haller's behind-the-scenes manipulations add sparkle to the courtroom drama, and a highly inventive twist is The Lincoln Lawyer's piece de resistance.
If you enjoy the richly researched detail and beautiful prose spun around the fabulous pageturner that is The Lincoln Lawyer, I also highly recommend Connelly's The Closers and The Poet as well as Mute by Canadian newcomer Brad Steel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Connelly is The master!, Oct. 8 2005
Kate Willard "Realtor" (California) - See all my reviews
I have loved the Harry Bosch books over the years. This time Connelly takes a break from the Bosche character, but comes up with another classic anti hero in attorney Micky Haller. "The Lincoln Lawyer" is about the eccentric Haller, who operates in the seedy underbelly of Los Angeles, and instead of an office he does business out of his Lincoln Town car. Mickey does not follow accepted legal ethics operating on the outskirts of the law, which puts him at odds with the establishment. Micky's courtroom scenes are when the fireworks really fly! And his behind the scenes manipulations make for a great page turner. Connelly has a gift for developing characters which make his books more interesting to read then the typical thriller. If you like the Harry Bosche books then should like "the Lincoln Lawyer!"

5.0 out of 5 stars It is, quite possibly, Connelly's best yet., Feb. 27 2006
By A Customer
In the first-ever legal thriller by crime novelist Michael Connelly. Ethically ambiguous defense attorney Mickey Haller's search for innocence in a high-profile case involving a young Beverly Hills playboy leads him to the ultimate evil...
A veteran defense attorney, Haller is understandably cynical about the system. ("The law was a large, rusting machine that sucked up people and lives and money. I was just a mechanic. I had become an expert at going into the machine and fixing things and extracting what I needed from it in return.") When a "franchise" case falls into his lap, one that could give him his biggest payoff ever, Haller jumps at the chance to defend a rich realtor accused of brutally beating and attempting to rape a wannabe actress with a shady background. The baby-faced realtor is vehement about his innocence, and as Haller begins to build his case, he's confident of victory -- that is, until he inadvertently discovers something that will not only overturn an old murder case but also put him and his crew in mortal peril…
Fans of Connelly's previous Harry Bosch novels will find The Lincoln Lawyer even more compelling -- since Haller happens to be Bosch's half brother and, according to sources, there is a sequel in the works that includes the maverick former LAPD detective! Like its luxury-auto namesake, The Lincoln Lawyer is a sumptuous thriller that excels in every measurable category: plot complexity, character development, pacing, intensity, etc. It is, quite possibly, Connelly's best yet.
I also recommend 'The Quest' by George Kostantinos.

4.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, June 9 2011
This review is from: The Lincoln Lawyer (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first crime book I've ever read. It really pulled me in. I wanted to know what was going to happen to Roulet (the man convicted of brutally raping and assaulting a women.) I found myself reading chapter after chapter. It was interesting to get into the mind of a defense lawyer. I also felt like I could never be that person. The person to defend a killer. However Mickey Haller ( the main character, who you fall in love with based on his cool, and confident personalty) makes a good point saying everyone deserves to testify against the crime they are committed of. A defense lawyer just provides the evidence to do so. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is because I felt like it lacked a little something. It was almost there but not quite.

3.0 out of 5 stars not convinced, April 18 2011
This review is from: The Lincoln Lawyer (Mass Market Paperback)
I agree with other reviewers that say "The Lincoln Lawyer" is a page turner. I have never read anything else by Michael Connelly so I cannot compare it with his other novels. There is constant "action", and that is what I object to. There are too many "goings on" to be believable in my view. (I normally read non fiction.) There are enough twists and turns for more than one novel. Other reviewers have outlined the story so I will refrain from doing so. This is one instance in which I think the movie will be better than the book. The movie can eliminate the "clutter", and focus on developing those things that the Director deems most important to the storyline, making for a more realistic experience. Sometimes less is more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A clever theme, and a great piece of writing., April 28 2013
When reading this terrific book, The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly, I felt like I was right there - in on the action and enjoying it all the way. Connelly has a wonderful facility for creating real characters that take on life and make unexpected moves. It was a lot of fun and I strongly recommend you don't miss out on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that is very hard to close!, Oct. 29 2012
This review is from: The Lincoln Lawyer (Paperback)
I opened the first page and became slothful. I spent two days with the Lincoln Lawyer. What a wonderful read. Twists and turns. Really well written! ...and I am so thrilled to know that the authour is continuing with more books using this set of characters! Michael Connelly has gone in a new direction and it works!!! Just loved the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great thriller, June 12 2012
Mickey Haller is a sleaze-bag lawyer or is he?. Haller represents clients like prostitutes, drug dealers and motorcycle thugs. He won't proceed with a case unless he knows he will be paid. When Louis Roulet is charged with the brutal beating and rape of a woman, Haller finally has his 'franchise' case. A case where he will make a ton of money. Roulet comes from a wealthy Beverly Hills family and his mother will do anything to keep him out of jail.

Haller has 2 ex-wives and a little girl and they all love him as the reader slowly does by the end of the book. Haller is brilliant as he unravels this case. And the ending is exactly why they made this book into a movie.

I have read many of the Harry Bosch books and loved the character but I think I like Haller even better. Haller does not care one whit about rules and breaks them willy nilly. But he still cares for right vs wrong and is willing to make things right. This book also helped me to understand the role of the defense attorney in court proceedings

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good character, June 16 2011
Burlington Dude (Burlington, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lincoln Lawyer (Mass Market Paperback)
Connelly created a very good and interesting character, Michael Haller the LA County based criminal attorney who advertises his services to blacks and hispanics on bus stop benches in the most crime infested neighbourhoods.

The story is neither original nor particularly good, but Mickey Haller is interesting character.

5.0 out of 5 stars A DIRECTED VERDICT OF EXCELLENCE!, Oct. 21 2009
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
I am a huge fan of Michael Connely, ever since my days as an undergraduate, procrastinating with his other masterpiece (The Poet) in the middle of exam period (true story, I almost flunked BioChem-II!). Since, I had enjoyed every single one of his novels, some more than others, yet nothing managed to approach the crescendo intensity of his peak moment with the Poet. Until now that is.

It is a story about lawyer, Mickey Haller. A ruthless yet likable defense attorney with his own short-range focus code of honor, trying to carve a living and escape the long shadow of his famous father. The father may have been dead ever since Mickey was five but when he was alive he rubbed elbows with the likes of Mickey Cohen and managed to dispense a lifetime supply of advice. And a wise warning: beware of the innocent client.

Said lawyer keeps no brick & mortar office but operates out of four Lincoln Town cars he alternates, bought at discount fleet prices. Said lawyer has a daughter and two ex wives who, for some reason, still love him. Said lawyer will defend anyone for the right price but will hope for a franchise case, a complicated and protracted case of a rich client charged with something serious enough to pay him premium prices and keep him in style for a long time. But one should be careful what he wishes for.

As if a malicious genie granting a wish, Mickey lands a rich client charged with sexual assault. When the client insists on his innocence (and wants to avoid the civil court implications of accepting a lesser charge) the trial is inevitable. And then his father warning comes back to bite him.

I hate spoilers so I will stop here. But get ready for a roller-coaster of a ride, full of unexpected turns and fast ups and downs. To be honest I would have gone for a slightly different ending - yet the annoyance was minor and did not steal away any of the enjoyment.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Lincoln Lawyer
The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 1 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01