Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

"Defend the poor and fatherless;
Do justice to the afflicted and needy." -- Psalm 82:3 (NKJV)

In The Sixth Man, Sean King and Michelle Maxwell return in the role of private investigators, this time assisting in preparing the criminal defense of an accused serial killer who is thought to be insane. On their way to start work, the two are shocked to find their client's attorney has been killed. Something's not right, and they decide to stay on the case . . . heavily relying on Sean King also being an active member of the bar in Virginia.

As their investigation unfolds, more violence follows and they find powerful forces are arrayed against them. There are also government and personal secrets at stake that others want protected. How can they hope to help? Well, it won't be easy.

As in many David Baldacci stories, the center of this one is about how those close to and in the government look out for their own interests rather than the public good. A few well-meaning people are all that might stop some terrible result. I won't say much more, but the plot relates to how best to employ information developed by the intelligence community. If the suggestions for what should be done fascinate you, this will probably be a four-star book. I personally didn't find that aspect to be credible, much less interesting, so the book's action plot is pretty average.

Many might look to a developing relationship between Sean King and Michelle Maxwell as another possible plus for the book. The story isn't written that way, so some will be disappointed on this front.

One of the oddest things about the plot was that so much of the action was placed in the middle of Maine. That meant describing many trips up and down the East Coast where frankly not much happens. It seemed like a weird way to put the story together. If the same actions had been concentrated closer to D.C., the story would have moved faster and probably been quite a bit shorter.

The best parts of the book come in some brief action sequences that are imaginatively constructed. In terms of what did or is going to do what to whom, I don't think you'll have too much trouble figuring out what's going on.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The `Sixth Man ' by David Baldacci was a disappointment for me. The plot had promise, you have a genius /alleged serial killer awaiting trial, dead bodies everywhere, shadowy corrupt politicians doing what shadowy corrupt politicians do and two of Baldacci's reoccurring characters, investigators Sean King and Michelle Maxwell. Even with these plot elements and Baldacci's writing skills the novel was still a dud. There was no fire in this novel; the lights were on but nobody was home. The novel was slow, predictable; a five year old could have figured it out. There were no surprises in this book and it isn't up to Baldacci's usual standards, by the time it started to pick up in the last few chapters it was too little too late for the `Sixth Man'.
on April 19, 2013
When I came here to write my review, I was surprised to see other reviews that were just "so-so". Perhaps it's because this is my first Baldacci book, and I'm coming from Robert J. Sawyer and John Sandford, which are OK. I found Baldacci's writing much more rich and entertaining. Maybe it's in contrast with the previous books I'd read, but I found The Sixth Man to be a great intriguing story. I only read a bit at a time but every day I was looking forward to reading a few more chapters. It kept me engrossed from beginning to end. I'm certainly looking forward to reading Baldacci's other books.

Bottom line, I guess if you've read other Baldacci books, other reviewer's comments seem to indicate perhaps this is not his best one. As for me, I truly enjoyed this book.
on July 1, 2014
I have read every David Baldacci book I have come across and believe me if there were more stars than five to give i would give them . He writes stories than I have the greatest difficulty in putting down.. I truly hope that Mr. D will continue writing. thank you
on October 13, 2014
This book provided all the thrills I've come to expect of Baldacci. I Didn't expect the ending which was exactly what i want from a novel. i cant wait to read the next in this series
on July 6, 2015
If you like intrigue with many twists and turns, and more than its fair share of nail biting suspense, you will enjoy this book.
on November 27, 2015
It is always amazing how Baldacci weaves things together and keeps you in suspense right to the bitter end and the surprise.
on September 21, 2014
Anyone can write a mystery. Not many can keep you engrossed from beginning to end and with a variety of interesting twists
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Prefer his earlier novels like Split Second. Kind of a strange story, with a story line different then I've read before.
on May 11, 2013
This was a good book it kept you reading and in suspense. Baldacci is a very good writer as always