5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically funny book for parents
I have to admit, when I first received a copy of this book, I thought it was a joke. A very funny joke, but I had no idea it was an actual book meant for general publication. The fact that it has been so popular shows that I'm not the only person who enjoyed the joke!

Published on June 28 2011 by A. Volk

1.0 out of 5 stars utter crap!
Just what I expected from the title; utter crap!
Published 7 months ago by Chris Wex

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically funny book for parents, June 28 2011
A. Volk (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)

So what is this book all about? Simple. It's about the frustration a parent can feel trying to get their young child (2-6 years or so) to bed. The book is beautifully drawn like a children's book, uses rhymes like a children's book, but drops a frustrated f-bomb on every page. The book rants about having to read one more book, calling nonsense on frequent requests for water, and similar situations (I love the last page!). I think the book is both so funny and so successful because a lot of parents can empathize with the feelings in the book.

Now I should mention that this book isn't for children. It also isn't for parents with children who never had problems going to sleep. Or parents who strongly disapprove of swearing. Or parents who won't like humor. Or parents who had so much free time and/or support that they didn't mind spending hours getting a child to sleep (or maybe getting the nanny to do it). For the rest of parents, as witnessed by the absolutely huge industry in "how to get your child to sleep" books, getting your child to sleep is often a major battle, chore, and/or energy drain.

The tone of the book is hopefully lighthearted enough for no one to confuse it with a parent actually wanting to put down their child or verbally injure/insult them. Rather, it's a reflection of the frustration good parents sometimes feel when their best efforts to get a child to sleep just aren't working. For the tenth night in a row. With that in mind, I found the book to be a very funny salute to the parents out there who are either going through "sleep warfare" right now, or who have been through it with their kids in the past. Keeping in mind my disclaimers above about who this book is for (i.e., most parents and definitely not their children), I can honestly say that this is one of the best parenting books I've ever come across. No, it won't help you get your child to sleep. But maybe it will let you know that a lot of other parents are in the exact same boat. And sometimes that's all you need to get you over the stress of putting your little angel(s) to bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great relieft, July 13 2011
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
I gave my husband this book for fathers day. It was a great relief to know that my daughter isn't the only devil that doesn't like to go to sleep. We keep it out for company to read when they come over.

It's always a great laugh and really is a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, Sept. 6 2011
S. Burden (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go the F--k to Sleep(CD)(Unabr.) (Audio CD)
Any parent should get this. There are nights that I so want to say this to my kids. You will laugh and nod at the same time. Incredibly well written and accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for the whole family, Aug. 8 2011
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
With the title of this book being a bit vulgar, you know what your walking into. I bought this book for my brother who just had his baby a couple months ago, and felt it necessary to give this to him. Both him and his wife thought it was hilarious, and so did the rest of my family.

This book is great if you have a sense of humour, and are okay with profound language being spoken.

I recommend this book to anyone and everyone just because of the pure comedic genius behind the whole thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, Aug. 21 2011
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
I bought this book because I heard about it on a SModcast called Hollywood Babble-On staring Kevin Smith and Ralph Garman. They talked about the origin of the book and the author. What really made me want it was when they mentioned that it was the number one selling item on Amazon and it wasn't even printed yet. So when it became available, I had to own it.
I myself do not have children but I still remember whet it was like to be a kid and this book has entertained me to the core.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, makes a good gift, March 28 2013
Prairie Girl (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
Although crass, any parent who has struggled to get a child to sleep has thought some version of this books title. The good thing about this book is its not just a cheap laugh for a title, it actually reads really well and references several bedtime books you have probably read to your child. A cute gift from Mom to Dad or for a friend dealing with a lack of sleep-- a good laugh, and let's you know you're not alone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and yet so True!!!, Oct. 4 2011
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
As a mother of a 4 month old, a two year old and a four year old this book helped bring the humor back into parenting! Struggling with our daughter demanding "Bring me Water" and "I'm still hungry" to our two year old son who thinks bedtime is actually playtime and a four month old who won't go to sleep with all the chaos at bedtime, this book was exactly what we needed! It shows the funny side of bedtime and now when my child is yet again asking for water or another one of her never ending demands, I'll be thinking of this book laughing that I'm not the only mother in the kitchen giving into my child in the hopes that they'll reach dreamland sometime in the future! And this is definitely not a book I would read to my child but I have bought it as a gift for expectant parents as they have no idea what they are getting into either!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious but borrow a friends, Aug. 11 2011
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
Great book, relives the horrible times trying to get a toddler in to bed but I'd borrow a friends... We've both read it once, had a good laugh and now we don't know what to do with it because we'd hate for our kids to find it in a few years....

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bedtime story for PARENTS ;), Nov. 6 2011
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
I had previously read this book from a friend's copy, and laughed so hard. I bought 3 copies, and will be sharing them as stocking stuffers! For any parent out there who has endured a toddler/young child waking repeatedly while you are trying to enjoy the last quiet remnants of a long, exhausting day, this book will ring all too realistic for you, haha. You love them with all your heart, but sometimes you just wish for a tiny, itty bitty dose of chloroform, ya know? ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello??? NOT for the Kid...A humor book for the Parent!, Nov. 20 2011
Jan "Wishing you wellness..." (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
Okay...for all the easily offended people out there--or people with no sense of humor...this book is NOT for the child. I repeat. This is NOT a children's book...it just looks like one...It is a book to make frustrated parents laugh. If you can get past the language and the concept of a humor book for parents packaged as if it were a genuine children's book, then frustrated and harried parents everywhere can enjoy a good stress-busting laugh at the challenges of getting young children to sleep when all the harried parents craves is to get some sleep themselves. My 19 year old daughter (my youngest child) bought this book for me as one of several books she gave me for my birthday. I laughed so much because she wrote her own personal note inside about how all these years later I am still saying "Go the F--k to Sleep" (without the swearing)to her every time she calls me late at night when she should be asleep...you see, she lives on the East Coast and I live on the West Coast...so I still find myself saying, "how come you're not sleeping right now?"...Some things never change. :) All of my night-owl children fully realize that they will likely have their own little night-owls frustrating them in the same way they frustrated their dear Mom. This book just lets us laugh at some universal parenting situations...Loosen up, find your funny bone, laugh at yourself for once and enjoy this book!

Go the F--k to Sleep(CD)(Unabr.)
Go the F--k to Sleep(CD)(Unabr.) by Adam Mansbach (Audio CD - Aug. 3 2011)
CDN$ 6.99 CDN$ 6.64